Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renting / house share first time

• 31-01-2015 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Its my first time moving out of parents house, and I'm wondering about the procedure. I have seen a few places on daft that might suit me, so whats the next step. Do I contact the owner to arrange a viewing? and can I contact several places at once? Do you get to meet the housemates you will be sharing with? Will I have to bring anything with me when viewing the house.

Is that basically it then until I get a place or am I forgetting something?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm finding this very daunting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

spear6 wrote: »
    Its my first time moving out of parents house, and I'm wondering about the procedure. I have seen a few places on daft that might suit me, so whats the next step. Do I contact the owner to arrange a viewing? and can I contact several places at once? Do you get to meet the housemates you will be sharing with? Will I have to bring anything with me when viewing the house.

Is that basically it then until I get a place or am I forgetting something?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm finding this very daunting.

When I moved out I called into an EA and asked if they had any houses to rent. when i went to view i brought a A4 page with questions on it and made sure I had the answers to everyone of them. I informed the EA of this when booking appointment (that i would have list of questions). You can of course contact any number of places at once and have a list of appointments to view houses. Use common sense though. If you accept one house/room ring and cancel other upcoming appointments.

Depending on how quick you want to move in you could bring money towards a deposit. If you pay money make sure to get a receipt and/or a rent book signed. The house that I shared I did not meet other tenants until i officially moved in as they were at work when I viewed room but landlord came round and introduced me the first evening.

When you go to move in take pictures on a digital camera of entire room etc and any damage you can find (I got my landlord to sign and date back of photos with damage thus agreeing damage was there on said date).

Other posters will post other suggestions in addition to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spear6

lycan238 wrote: »
    When I moved out I called into an EA and asked if they had any houses to rent. when i went to view i brought a A4 page with questions on it and made sure I had the answers to everyone of them. I informed the EA of this when booking appointment (that i would have list of questions). You can of course contact any number of places at once and have a list of appointments to view houses. Use common sense though. If you accept one house/room ring and cancel other upcoming appointments.

Depending on how quick you want to move in you could bring money towards a deposit. If you pay money make sure to get a receipt and/or a rent book signed. The house that I shared I did not meet other tenants until i officially moved in as they were at work when I viewed room but landlord came round and introduced me the first evening.

When you go to move in take pictures on a digital camera of entire room etc and any damage you can find (I got my landlord to sign and date back of photos with damage thus agreeing damage was there on said date).

Other posters will post other suggestions in addition to this.

Thanks for the reply, thats great info. I never thought of going to an EA. Interesting that you didn't meet the other tenants. I feel like that would be a factor in deciding if I would want to live in the place, but I guess you didn't mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Thanks for the reply, thats great info. I never thought of going to an EA. Interesting that you didn't meet the other tenants. I feel like that would be a factor in deciding if I would want to live in the place, but I guess you didn't mind?

I think Lycan might have been renting a whole house rather than opting for a house share.

Depending on the circumstances of the house, youll probably end up meeting some or all of the housemates. I've lived in a house share where I just met the landlord and she decided who moved in and I've lived in house shares where the housemates picked.

Fire off an email giving them a brief description of yourself and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I stated in my original post this was because they were at work. I knew one of the other tenants before moving in anyway. As mentioned above the EA came in the first evening I was in the flat and introduced me to the remainder of the tenants.
    I think Lycan might have been renting a whole house rather than opting for a house share.

Depending on the circumstances of the house, youll probably end up meeting some or all of the housemates. I've lived in a house share where I just met the landlord and she decided who moved in and I've lived in house shares where the housemates picked.

Fire off an email giving them a brief description of yourself and take it from there.

I firstly rented a whole house then moved into the shared accommodation. I rented an ex granny flat so I had self contained accommodation but also had access to the communal sitting room which was useful to watch soccer etc with other housemates. The only other items that was shared was the washing machine and freezer.

Advertisement