Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning permission / transfering of ownership

Options
  • 28-01-2011 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

HI ALL,

My b/f's parents have given us a site with planning already on it.
    i can only get a mortgage in my name.My question is when we are tranferring the site into our names - Does if have to be just in my name to apply for the mortgage? Will i have to pay gift tax?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

As far as I know (but I'm no expert):
    If you get in transferred into your name you will be liable for gift tax and the 1% stamp duty as far as I know.
    If its both names you pay 1% on your half and the gift tax based on half the value of the site and he pays just the 1% stamp duty on his half.
    If transfered into his name he pays just the 1% stamp duty.

Look into all options and talk to a solicitor and a mortgage advisor. The bank may stipulate joint names on a joint mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

Do you think we could get away with leaving it in his parents names for the time being and when we get married it would be a gift to us both?
    i presume the bank need it in my name though............

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this over to the Accommodation & Property where the good people there will be able to answer your questions in more detail. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I agree largely with orlaithd, but Stamp Duty will be based on the value of the site - but at non-residential rates
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/non-residential-rates.html
    so may be more than 1%.

If it was transferred into your boyfriends name only the rate is halved - but that's most likely not possible, given you need to take out a mortgage.

In order for you to take out a mortgage, the site will have to be put into your sole or joint names. It's unlikely that a lender would give you a mortgage in your sole name if the site is in joint names - suspect they'd insist both names are on the mortgage too.

You don't say why the mortgage has to be in your name only - maybe there's a way around that?

You need to talk to a solicitor and mortgage adviser.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to get proper legal advice for yourself, independent of any advice received from their solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kinda off-topic, but could he buy the land off his parents for €50, or would that be fraud, as it'd bypass the 1% stamp duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

the_syco wrote: »
    Kinda off-topic, but could he buy the land off his parents for €50, or would that be fraud, as it'd bypass the 1% stamp duty?
    Wouldnt make any difference as any taxes payable are based on the "official value" of the site regardless of whether money exchanged hands or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

Hi all

I am in the same situation, the reason i am the one applying for the mortgage is that my boyfriend is unemployed and has been for a year, before that he was self employed and earned little or no income so i would say the banks will class him as dependant on me and i may not get a mortgage based on that. The site we are getting is owned by his uncle, does this make a difference.

Would a solicitor know if the bank will give a mortgage in sole name on a site that is in joint names?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The planning permission generally goes with the land not the owner, unless some form of occupancy conditions apply - you need to check that as well.

Advertisement