Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drink drive limit being lowered

• 30-10-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey has published legislation which provides for a reduced blood-alcohol concentration for drivers.
    The Road Traffic Bill reduces from 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood to 20mg for learner, novice and professional drivers, and from 80 to 50mg for other drivers.
    Breath testing will also become mandatory at the scenes of crashes.
    Advertisement

These measures are included in the new Road Traffic Bill, which was published this afternoon.
    Those whose blood-alcohol level falls between the old and new limits will be given three penalty points rather than an automatic disqualification.
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen said the Road Traffic Bill was a 'balanced proposal that meets the requirements of the situation'.
    He said it meets policy objectives regarding road safety and he was 'confident it reflects a balanced outcome.'
    Reacting to the publication of the new Road Traffic Bill, Fianna Fáil Deputy Brendan Kenneally said he would have preferred if it had 'stayed the way it was'.
    However, he said he felt Minister Dempsey had listened to those in Fianna Fáil who spoke out against the reduction because 'it's just an administrative sanction rather than going on your criminal record'.
    He said the Minister had 'toned down' his initial proposal and therefore 'progress had been made'.

Hopefully it'll go through. However anyone know what is classified as a professional driver - I'm guessing taxi drivers, bus drivers and such likes - what about a guy who uses his van for his work e.g. plumber, joiner etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'd say it's PSV drivers, it would be a nightmare to enforce otherwise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

It covers Taxi drivers, bus drivers, Truck drivers, etc.
    I dont drink myself, but i do think its a bit unfair because if one of the above mentioned drivers goes for a few drinks the day before, they may be still over that 20 figure next day, even though they may be acting very responsible about not drinking and driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Its a disgraceful compromise....what will they do the first time someone gets killed by someone on 51? short-sighted in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

its a bit unfair because if one of the above mentioned drivers goes for a few drinks the day before, they may be still over that 20 figure next day, even though they may be acting very responsible about not drinking and driving.

Well there will be only one solution then: they won't be able to drink at all.

Whatever about that though, the whole thing is descending into farce. Far too many caveats and it appears very messy.
    Are they saying a bus driver with 21mg is more of a threat on the road than someone with 79mg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Who or what is a novice driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Under Irish law , no one.

You are either a full license or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He's on the news now saying anyone who has a full licence under two years will be deemed a novice.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Well there will be only one solution then: they won't be able to drink at all.

Whatever about that though, the whole thing is descending into farce. Far too many caveats and it appears very messy.
    Are they saying a bus driver with 21mg is more of a threat on the road than someone with 79mg?

what if someone on 79 hits a bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The penalty points are far two lenient. It should be 6 points if between 50 and 60 and then 8 points between 60 and 80.

3 points doesn't focus the mind and it's a risk that too many will take.
    Corktina wrote:
    ....what will they do the first time someone gets killed by someone on 51? short-sighted in the extreme.

I'd imagine that they'd get the book thrown at them. They may get 3 points for being over the limit but they'll probably get done for other offences. Remember it's a 3point offence for just failing and not causing any death, injury or damage.

I think the lower limit for novice drivers is good. Helps create good driving habits fro the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It covers Taxi drivers, bus drivers, Truck drivers, etc.
    I dont drink myself, but i do think its a bit unfair because if one of the above mentioned drivers goes for a few drinks the day before, they may be still over that 20 figure next day, even though they may be acting very responsible about not drinking and driving.

But obviously not acting responsibly by showing up for work hungover.

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote: »

I'd imagine that they'd get the book thrown at them. They may get 3 points for being over the limit but they'll probably get done for other offences. Remember it's a 3point offence for just failing and not causing any death, injury or damage.

I think the lower limit for novice drivers is good. Helps create good driving habits fro the start.

I fully agree but what I really meant is how will they face the deceased relatives when they COULD have implemented a proper regime which would have saved lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=144
    Minister Dempsey Publishes Road Traffic Bill 2009
    30 - 10 - 2009

Mr. Noel Dempsey TD, Minister for Transport, today published the Road Traffic Bill 2009, which provides for a reduced blood alcohol concentration (BAC) for drivers and mandatory testing of drivers involved in collisions. The Bill also includes a number of other amendments to road traffic legislation.

The new proposed blood alcohol concentration levels contained in this Bill are:
    * Reduction from 80mg of alcohol (per 100 ml of blood) to 20 mg for learner, novice and professional drivers
    * Reduction from 80mg of alcohol (per 100 ml of blood) to 50 mg for other drivers

Speaking today Minister Dempsey said; “The aim of this Bill is to improve road safety, save lives and reduce serious injuries on our roads. Thanks to the hard work of the Road Safety Authority, An Garda Siochana and others we have made great progress in recent years but we can’t forget that 279 people were killed on our roads last year. Intoxicated driving is one of the main causes of fatalities and injuries on our roads and that is not acceptable. The research in this area is conclusive and irrefutable. Reducing the BAC from its current limit of 80mgs has a proved beneficial effect and will save lives and reduce serious injuries throughout Ireland. It’s the right thing to do.”

Minister Dempsey added; “We made a commitment to reduce BAC levels and to provide for alcohol testing at collisions and this new Road Traffic Bill provides for both. I have taken the opportunity in the Bill to introduce other improvements to support the implementation and enforcement of road traffic provisions. We must never become complacent about road safety.”

The Road Traffic Bill 2009 includes provisions to:
    o Introduce administrative fixed penalties for certain drink driving offences (i.e. learner, novice & professional drivers at BAC levels of 20-80mg; other drivers at BAC levels of 50-80mg and 80-100mg)
    o Introduce Preliminary Impairment Testing (such as co-ordination tests) to assist Gardaí in forming an opinion as to whether a driver is under the influence of an intoxicant (drink or drugs);
    o Amend fixed charge and penalty point provisions, to provide for the option of payment of a fixed charge on receipt of a summons for the offence; to set out certain presumptions in relation to the delivery of fixed charge notices; and to improve certain matters relating to the endorsement of penalty points on driver records
    o Amend driving licence provisions, to ensure that penalty points and disqualifications can be applied to non-national driving licences, and to give the Gardai powers to seize a licence where the driver has been disqualified or where the licence has been fraudulently obtained or is forged or altered;
    o Amend provisions and penalties in relation to disqualifications and restates, with amendments, certain driving offences, includinginconsiderate, careless and dangerous driving.

The Bill also restates existing provisions on intoxicated driving, consequential disqualifications and fixed charge offences in a consolidated and clearer format, and includes a number of minor amendments to the Road Traffic Acts.

ENDS

Notes for Editors

1. The Road Traffic Bill 2009 was published today and it is available on the Department’s website.
    2. Questions and Answers on the Bill are attached to this press release.
    3. The next step following publication is for the Bill to be considered by the Oireachtas at a time to be arranged by the Whips.
    4. The Road Safety Strategy 2007-2012 contains commitments to:
    * Reduce the legal Blood Alcohol Concentration level (Action No.76)
    * Address the testing of road users involved in collisions (Action No.75)
    * Introduce the administrative disqualification system for appropriate drink driving cases (Action No.77 ),
    * Consider appropriate enforcement options relating to driving under the influence of drugs (Action No.78)
    * Review road traffic legislation with a view to consolidation (Action No.71) The recently agreed renewed Programme for Government also contains a commitment to implement the Government’s Road Safety Strategy in full.
    5. The Road Safety Authority website is: www.rsa.ie
    6. Other websites of note are: www.drinkdriving.ie and www.drinkaware.ie

ENDS

Further information:
    Department of Transport Press Office (01) 604 1090 / (01) 604 1091.

Support Documents ( click the links to download )

Questions and Answers Road Traffic Bill 2009.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

corktina wrote: »
    Its a disgraceful compromise....what will they do the first time someone gets killed by someone on 51? short-sighted in the extreme.

Thing is people are being killed by those at 51 which is currently below the legal limit.
    Heroditas wrote: »

Not really. A bus driver is obviously driving a larger vehicle so therefore could cause more damage and injury

Advertisement