Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There's a recall on the Xiamoi scooter for loose screws, you can check it here https://www.mi.com/global/support/mi-electric-scooter-recall-program/

Thanks for posting - my M365 purchased from Amazon Spain is affected. I'd already noticed the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was in Malaga yesterday and took a spin on a lime scooter. Very uncomfortable ride, guess it doesn’t have pneumatic tyres.

It’s pure carnage over there, there is 3 or 4 scooter companies. Scooter everywhere, no clear rules giving about where to and where not to ride.

Scooters been ridden on roads, paths, pedesterisned paths, if anyone from the department of transport or the RSA was to see it, there’s not a hope they would allow them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wonder how it went in Germany, they appear to be a very law abiding nation, I remember being freaked out at how they all stood to attention at traffic lights on empty streets, not just businessmen or mothers with kids, but lads in their teens or early 20s.

I expect very few scooters would have complied with the 20km/h law, maybe they would get them modified in advance. I wonder if you could buy one that slow in any shops here "off the shelf"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder how it went in Germany, they appear to be a very law abiding nation, I remember being freaked out at how they all stood to attention at traffic lights on empty streets, not just businessmen or mothers with kids, but lads in their teens or early 20s.

I expect very few scooters would have complied with the 20km/h law, maybe they would get them modified in advance. I wonder if you could buy one that slow in any shops here "off the shelf"

Firmware change is all it needs. I keep the original firmware, but if I wanted, I could choose faster (or slower) speeds with firmware apps.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

rubadub wrote: »

Accoridng to a report I saw last night the dealers will be offering inzahlungnahme/trade-in deals and the dealers will sell you a road-legal scooter and then upgrade the trade-in to make it road-legal and sell it on or break it for parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good news everyone !

Finally a scooter that looks like it could be legal :pac:

https://i.imgur.com/6MQLdNB.gifv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

rivegauche wrote: »
    Fake? You may not like to hear this but Konformität translates as "compliance".If you don't like how I translate the meaning of "Konformität"
    or "Betriebserlaubnis" then rather than calling me a liar without having done a shred of research yourself, hire your own Übersetzer/Dolmetscher to review and report on developments in the world of ElektroScooters in so much as they pertain to Deutschland.

It is now in effect from today and as Germany is the largest market in the E.U. and has done the legwork with regard to regulation what their government proscribes will most likely be used as the basis of similar local laws elsewhere in the E.U.
    https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/verordnung-in-kraft-e-tretroller-koennen-kommen.1939.de.html?drn:news_id=1017728

The reason why I said it sounds like fake news is because few seem to know what it takes to get something road legal.

Everything from tyres to a little LED light on the dash must have EU type approval for automotive use. Only then will it get a certificate of conformity which will allow them to be used on the road.

And the website you linked to looks very much like the one that was saying there was a grey area here. They seem to have an agenda!

What you consider fake news is a factual article on a State broadcaster's website.

This is a road legal scooter which is available for sale.
    https://iohawk-europe.com/product/io-hawk-sparrow/

"Endlich Legal und bereit für die Straße" translates as Finally legal and ready for the street.

They still would not be road legal here or in other EU countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is Shane Ross gone on holidays? Are they waiting for him to return before making the quick decision on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

prinzeugen wrote: »
    They still would not be road legal here or in other EU countries.

I guess that road trip around Europe on a scooter is out for the time being...

beauf wrote: »
    I guess that road trip around Europe on a scooter is out for the time being...

Yes.. I have gone through they joys of trying to make something road legal. Gave up as it was ridiculous but warranted.

I expect several "news" articles now saying "these are legal in Ireland because Germany did it" type bull.

The same crowd that pushed this grey area crap. The people that will take €600 for one of these knowing full well that the could be seized by the Garda the next day.

They are €€€ up and you have lost your scooter and could potentially have a day in court. The sellers do not care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I see more and more everyday. Eventually there will be so many the govt will have to do something about it. They are just burying their head in the sand. Ross loves complaining about every thing but will do nothing himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

I see more and more everyday. Eventually there will be so many the govt will have to do something about it. They are just burying their head in the sand. Ross loves complaining about every thing but will do nothing himself.

If it's approved for use you will probably see him turning up to the Dail on an escooter all kitted out with helmet etc and all smiles as if to say "Look at what I've done & how environmentally friendly I am".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I can see them only trying to cash in with this so new taxes & rules for bloodsu*kers...

wandererz wrote: »
    If it's approved for use you will probably see him turning up to the Dail on an escooter all kitted out with helmet etc
    well Noel Rock was already riding his right in front of Gardai at the Dail knowing fine well it was not road legal. No helmet either, not that I think you need one. Claiming his is limited to 25km/h but only gets to 17

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/watch-td-noel-rock-to-propose-new-legislation-for-electric-scooters-37529409.html

The garda need to start seizing these things. It will send a message to everyone that they are not legal.

And then set fire to the fecking things!

I have no issues with them. But the users must have done a test etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The garda need to start seizing these things. It will send a message to everyone that they are not legal.

Same tests as cyclists I assume? And horse riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Imagine setting all this batteries on fire. Haha

antodeco wrote: »
    Same tests as cyclists I assume? And horse riders?

Cyclist aren’t on a MPV.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Cyclist aren’t on a MPV.

You said the users? Cyclists could be on one of these

antodeco wrote: »
    You said the users? Cyclists could be on one of these

Come again ?
    I said what?
    Cyclists should be on what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Gardaí need to lots of things, from stoping parking in bus lanes, red light runners and Amber gamblers, stop motorists using their phones, Jay walkers, all the way up to cracking down on drug dealers and murders, and corporate crime...
    A few scooters is just on the list, and it shouldn't be that high on the list.... The minister in charge could just have them taken off the list... And encourage them to help relieve transport woes in the capital...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ted1 wrote: »
    Come again ?
    I said what?
    Cyclists should be on what ?

On a horse?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Why must people continue to be punished for saving the environment?

https://twitter.com/DC_PoliceBiker/status/1147555008164110336

I watched a report this morning where German police had started fining people on the spot for e-scooter law violations like riding one while drunk or carrying a passenger or riding a non-compliant scooter.

rivegauche wrote: »
    I watched a report this morning where German police had started fining people on the spot for e-scooter law violations like riding one while drunk or carrying a passenger or riding a non-compliant scooter.

Saw that myself. I 100% agree with this for all modes of transport. You need to be competent to drive any vehicle (motor/assisted/push) and being drunk does mean competent!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tuxy wrote: »
    Why must people continue to be punished for saving the environment?

https://twitter.com/DC_PoliceBiker/status/1147555008164110336

"1000w motor (yep 1000w) top recorded speed of 93mph on computer!!"

That makes no sense. That's 150kph. It'd take about 15kW to go that fast on the flat, not 1kW, and there is no bicycle drivetrain that will take that power. You would die trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Lumen wrote: »
    "1000w motor (yep 1000w) top recorded speed of 93mph on computer!!"

That makes no sense. That's 150kph. It'd take about 15kW to go that fast on the flat, not 1kW, and there is no bicycle drivetrain that will take that power. You would die trying.

My guess he had it on stand for testing and never deleted the stuff, same as GPS/dashcam. I always clean out that stuff if I am well over

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

My guess he had it on stand for testing and never deleted the stuff, same as GPS/dashcam.

or a glitch, I have had odd numbers on my speedo before, can't remember if they were both high and low figures. The computer might let you enter whatever wheel size you like so it you tell it the wheel is massive you will get high figures.

Advertisement