Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Passat gearbox

• 12-06-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to remove gearbox (manual) and refit SH one in a 2000 Passat 1.9 Tdi ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Do you have the replacement gearbox? I reckon if you supply all the parts - gearbox, fluid, possibly clutch, you're looking at about €5-600 in labour.

It's really more than the car is worth when you include the parts. One of those dilemmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

DIY >> main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Thanks for your reply tropheus.
    I do my own repairs for years and had no idea of labour charges etc.
    The car is owned by a friend - and he knew I changed a gearbox in a 2004 Passat 2 yrs ago for a family member (but it was not easy and I said I wouldn't be doing his.)
    He was asking what it might cost in a garage and I decided to ask here as I had no idea.
    He could get a SH box free - but as this one is leaking badly from the bell housing I pointed out that clutch etc might have to be changed.
    What was 'bugging' him was that I fitted a new timing belt kit and WP in January and car is running very well. But I said that's one of the joys of motoring.
    Shown him your reply and he has decided to leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Do most of my own as well. However, heavy jobs like that I tend to leave with the local mechanic. Not something you'd want to take on without a lift.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

if it was me, I'd be looking to run a mile from this, the gearbox change could be just the beginning of a money pit. It needs a ramp and ideally 2 people for the lift out of the box, and if there's a leak coming from the bell housing, that might be nothing to do with the gearbox, and everything to do with the crankshaft oil seal. While you're in that far, the clutch and release bearing will need checking, and may need replacing, and it may be a dual mass flywheel, and they're expensive if it's worn, which is fairly common these days. I'd have to doubt that it's worth doing on a 20 year old car, unless there are very compelling reasons to do it, the money involved is probably better put into a more recent vehicle.

In terms of costs for labour, a mechanic that's doing gearboxes on a regular basis may be able to get the box out and back in about 4 hours, but that will need some luck with no seized bolts and the like, and anyone that's any good at that sort of work will be being charged out at about €70 per hour, so a minimum of €300 for the labour, plus parts, and it could be considerably more if there are any issues along the way.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement