Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems Shenmue 3 may be getting an Xbox One release as well.

https://www.windowscentral.com/shenmue-iii-xbox-one-possibly-confirmed-official-site?amp

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

They can keep delaying it, still haven't managed to push through the first game again!
    I found the first one a bit of a slog because I must have already played through it around 10 times on the dreamcast.

Only got to play 2 for the first time last year and I thought it was fantastic. addressed most of the issues from the first game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I found the first one a bit of a slog because I must have already played through it around 10 times on the dreamcast.

Only got to play 2 for the first time last year and I thought it was fantastic. addressed most of the issues from the first game

Yeah, I think I just need to skip the first one, read the story online and go straight into the second one. It was 2 I played back in the day too, so that's what I remember.

Right now, I'm still very early in the first one, running around the first or second town waiting for the game to trigger a very particular character to show at a very particular time which I can't figure out, and even Google couldn't help me. Just got bored of running around the place doing nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

New footage of the game in Walmart of all places, some Cam footage floating around on YT. Game is starting to look much better each time we see it and this footage is likely to be a few months old at least. Also includes the old release date.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Forklifts!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Epic Store exclusive. Shenmue Dojo is probably going to go into meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Seems like a bad idea to go to epic this late considering the game was funded by the community that will be pissed off about this.

On the brighter side Limited Run Games have a fancy physical edition: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1138168060756529153?s=20

Looks nice with the lamp and phoenix mirror though it'll probably cost a fair price too. I'll stick with my standard ps4 copy.

Not exactly sure why they have decided to go with Epic. Any chance of reaching a wider audience has now been closed. One can only hope that they donated some cash towards the fourth game.

Anyway, short trailer released today, looks good but facial animations and lip syncing are not where they could be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

People will be justifiably pissed about this, and there will be a lot of refunds requested in the next few days. 6 days ago they specifically said that Steam keys would be provided, and it was one of their original kickstarter aims. To turn around and do that now just shows how much money Epic threw at them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I'm pissed off. Paid for a steam key and I'm actively avoiding the epic store as my account has had multiple hacks and hack attempts.

All they are doing is pissing off the actual fans that made the game happen which is now being used to placate epics corporate ambitions at their expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Pretty much the same story as with Phoenix Point then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No. Phoenix point is actually worse. The backers there are actually investors in the game and can expect to maybe make money back on their investment. Changing to an epic exclusive means the revs might have gotten a lot of moneyhat funding but the investors are going to suffer due to the hit the game will take in terms of future sales as a epic store exclusive. It was also funded based on being a steam game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No. Phoenix point is actually worse. The backers there are actually investors in the game and can expect to maybe make money back on their investment. Changing to an epic exclusive means the revs might have gotten a lot of moneyhat funding but the investors are going to suffer due to the hit the game will take in terms of future sales as a epic store exclusive. It was also funded based on being a steam game.
    From the available info on this, that is to say this thread, the cash advance received from Epic as part of the deal contributes to the game's revenues thus directly benefiting the investors. Now, the question of whether the game would have been more popular had it released on Steam first remains to be seen but so far the return on their investment seems pretty solid and unless I'm mistaken, they'll continue to make their money back even after the year long exclusivity period on the EGS ends.

Oh, and strictly from the non-investor-centric backer perspective, they'll still get their GOG/Steam key after said exclusivity period ends too.

Not sure if they'll be that bad off, it has been announced for Xbox Game Pass for PC and Console too. Metro Exodus is also in Xbox Game Pass for PC despite being an Epic store exclusive.

IGN covered Shenmue 3 with a hands on demo of the game and an interview with Yu Suzuki (with a poor translator admittedly).

Some mini games and an early fight against one of the locals.

Also, the Kickstarter guys basically updated backers with an apology and out of office, haha! Hopefully all PC backers can get a Steam key at launch but I have a feeling it will be a lot later than that!

We want to make sure that the Backers are aware that we are listening to their concerns. We kindly ask all our fans to have some patience, we are currently at E3 demoing the game and need to get back to our respective offices to assess the situation and together find a way forward to justify the trust you placed in us.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Gamestop are selling the CE for €79.99 on PS4. That CE is just as big a kick in the teeth for backers as the PC key fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

10 euro extra for the CE vs the regular game isn't bad. I might try and get that version.

The whole epic vs steam thing flies way above my head as I've never bought a pc game outside the occasional humble bundle but I hope they got enough from epic to finance any further entries in the series as going back to the community cap in hand after this fiasco would be shameful.

Gyan84 wrote: »
    10 euro extra for the CE vs the regular game isn't bad. I might try and get that version.

The whole epic vs steam thing flies way above my head as I've never bought a pc game outside the occasional humble bundle but I hope they got enough from epic to finance any further entries in the series as going back to the community cap in hand after this fiasco would be shameful.

Not so much that Epic financed it, moreso that they take a lesser cut than Steam. Also because it is a UE4 game the 5% licencing fee is also waived.

Trailer from Gamescom, game is looking better everytime we see it now. Can Yu Suzuki pull this off? I'm looking forward to finding out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's capturing the spirit of the first for sure. Take my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Weird to hear it in English...

So they might be offering a steam key for Epic game releases of this game.

I'm split now. If I knew I was getting a steam key I'd stick to PC but was seriously considering changing to a PS4 physical disc as a PC physical release with a disc with the EGS launcher on it is pretty much useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

So they might be offering a steam key for Epic game releases of this game.

I'm split now. If I knew I was getting a steam key I'd stick to PC but was seriously considering changing to a PS4 physical disc as a PC physical release with a disc with the EGS launcher on it is pretty much useless.

If I was getting a physical copy of this, I'd definitely get it on PS4. The PC physical version is pointless as you said, it's basically a code in a box.

I'd like to play it when it comes to steam but might just get PS4 version and wait for it to be reduced on steam or gog.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I'd like to play it when it comes to steam but might just get PS4 version and wait for it to be reduced on steam or gog.
    I assume all the DLC will be out by the time it comes to Steam/GOG so that would be a plus too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Yeah I applied for my Steam key this morning.

Finished my playthrough of Shenmue 2 in prep for the new game. Obviously, the game ends on a cliffhanger but there are so many questions that need immediate answering.

Is Lan Di in Baihu? What happened to Shenhua’s dad? Can anyone explain what happened with the mirror and the sword in the cave?!

Refund hit my paypal account this morning with a profit of $1.15. Buy low sell high, that's my motto:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Refund hit my paypal account this morning with a profit of $1.15. Buy low sell high, that's my motto:rolleyes:

Because of the Epic/Steam situation?

Advertisement