Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many strict pull ups can you do?

Options
  • 15-06-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

There was an argument a few months back in one of the threads here. I thought it would be interesting to see how many STRICT, DEAD HANG pull ups (not chin ups) people here can do.
    There’s probably going to be a a few lies, and a few people (like a good friend of mine) who count pull ups even though they don’t lock out arms or get chin over the bar, and a few people who aggressively say “who cares” and have a go at me.
    But for those of you who want to take part, post up your score and let’s see if any of us can improve over the summer.

Male
    Age - 47
    Current capability - 7
    Best ever - 14 (10 years ago)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Big fat 0. Hope to get to 1 by end of year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Cushtie wrote: »
    Only way is up so. Best of luck with it. Going to be a great feeling when you do get over the bar.
    Maybe try using a band to help get a few. That’s how I started. But a trainer in a good gym would be best person to talk to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

12 - Definitely an exercise that favours lighter people (Provided they have some good strength too).

I'm 86kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Can you post a video of a 'proper' one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Can you post a video of a 'proper' one?

Here you go:

• Advertisement

The last time I tried max reps was a couple of months ago and I got 14.

Cushtie wrote: »

Keep working hard and you will eventually get there. Remember everyone started out at 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

Most I have ever done was around 14 and those would have been from dead hang till well past the chin, I always aimed to get the chest to the bar and stopped when I couldn't. I haven't done a pull up in a long time, I was doing some chin ups recently between sets of overhead press, last week I think I did five sets of eight so I would imagine I could do around twelve, maybe eight pull ups at a complete guess.. I am starting a new workout tomorrow which has pull ups in it so I could find out and report back :)

rowanh wrote: »
    Most I have ever done was around 14 and those would have been from dead hang till well past the chin, I always aimed to get the chest to the bar and stopped when I couldn't. I haven't done a pull up in a long time, I was doing some chin ups recently between sets of overhead press, last week I think I did five sets of eight so I would imagine I could do around twelve, maybe eight pull ups at a complete guess.. I am starting a new workout tomorrow which has pull ups in it so I could find out and report back :)

You can do 5 sets of 8 chin ups and reckon you can only do 8 pull ups max? :confused:

Pull ups are a good bit easier than chin ups and use the same back muscles but with added bicep assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

7. Have been working in it and will test next week or week after and hoping for more!

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »
    You can do 5 sets of 8 chin ups and reckon you can only do 8 pull ups max? :confused:

Pull ups are a good bit easier than chin ups and use the same back muscles but with added bicep assistance.

You've got them mixed up. Chin-ups use more of the bicep muscle and people generally find them easier

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Very rare I'd see people doing them anyway like the video above...

Pretty sure I always I do them strict with locked out arms at the bottom but not sure how dead the hang is.

That said, I've never tested. I've done 5x10 pull ups and 5x12 with neutral grip but again, not sure about the dead hang bona fides.

You've got them mixed up. Chin-ups use more of the bicep muscle and people generally find them easier

Ah sorry, makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

That's it and I was actually doing neutral grip chins which are the easiest of the three.

If anyone wants to increase the amount of chin ups they can do and can manage to fit it into your day I would suggest trying the grease the groove method.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The most I've done is 13. 40 years old and 72kg.
    Weighted I can do 6 with 20 kilos strapped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

14. Not sure how strict they were. I'm sure I looked more like a fish out of water in my final reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

20reps here, 88ish kg 43yrs young and 6ft 2in - doest always favour lighter, favour those that practice lots of honest to jesus pulling movement not that BS half pull up reps i see

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Transform wrote: »
    20reps here, 88ish kg 43yrs young and 6ft 2in - doest always favour lighter, favour those that practice lots of honest to jesus pulling movement not that BS half pull up reps i see

Great score and at your size very impressive. Has your max changed up or down over the years?

shutup wrote: »
    Great score and at your size very impressive. Has your max changed up or down over the years?
    nope about the same for 20yrs but lots of other movements have improved

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Last time I tested 10 strict age 28 6'5" and 96kg. I broke my hand the other year so grips still not the best last max weighted was 40kg but not as strict as it should have been. Could probably work to up the numbers of reps but am working on my one arm so dont feel the need.

• Advertisement

Last time I tested 10 strict age 28 6'5" and 96kg broke my hand the other year so grips still not the best last max weighted was 40kg but not as strict as it should have been. Could probably work to up the numbers of reps but am working on my one arm so dont feel the need.

Took me a minute to realise that you didn't actually break your hand testing pull-ups...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Took me a minute to realise that you didn't actually break your hand testing pull-ups...

Haha no that was in bjj. My terrible grammar on quick posts does not help matters.

exactly what i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Currently doing 3x8 at the moment, I haven't tested in over 18 months. Age 27, 65kg and 5'9''. I injured myself badly (won't go into details) 18 months ago and I couldn't do 1 pull up until after Christmas this year. Before my injury I think I maxed at 23. I was doing 5x5 with 22.5kg on my back so essentially 5x5 of 87.5kg. It's all about practice and repetition, like anything. Probably helps that I am quite light to? One thing I have learnt, I appreciate being able to do pull ups a lot more nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Overrated exercise tbh but 12, I’m light and shortish so they’re too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Why overrated? I think its one of the most useful for real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

29 & 90kg

I couldn't do any 6 months ago, easiest muscle to build IMO. Have a bar in a door at home.

What's a better vertical pulling exercise if pull ups are overrated?

too easy is when you're doing legless rope climbs and 30 pull ups - 12reps isn't exactly covering yourself in glory, although respectable if i can see video evidence

Pull ups and a simple one arm or cable row are two of the most important upper body exercise because most people we work with come to us with super tight pecs + weak upper back + computer/phone neck = shoulder disaster, layer on bench press or dips etc and you're guaranteed issues.

Most over rated IMO = bench press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

My best ever was 9 at age 32, female, 57kg.

Currently only 2 but, in fairness, I've had two very bad shoulder injuries since then.

Advertisement