Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obesity crisis in Ireland Mod Note post 1

• 05-02-2019 10:55pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

What can be done about the obesity crisis in Ireland, we are already one of the fattest countries in Europe, by 2030 we will be the fattest I seen in some report. Walk around the streets it's obvious Paddy and Mary are packing on the pounds young and old, men and women. Sedentary lifestyles, alcohol, bad diet, unable to cook, parenting many aspects to this. The amount of fat kids waddling round is a sad sight to see.

What can be done? Some suggestions

- Make Home Economics mandatory in schools

- Encourage organic meat and veg, aim to lower prices make it more widespread

- Maybe some nanny state laws, limit on take aways per area , stricter food advertising

Mod Note Keep this on a discussion and not a fat shamming/name calling thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Ban breakfast cereal, problem solved.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

The amount of parents who have their Sunday dinner with their children in Macdonalds is gone beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

How will organic meat and veg reduce obesity :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Careful now, we don't want to be fat shaming people and giving out about their lifestyle choices that have led them to become obsese.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

We have just become lazier as a nation, along with The UK
    Smart phones and technology playing a key part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

radharc wrote: »

It's hard to explain, it'll happen organically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Tax sugar sweetened drinks

Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The amount of parents who have their Sunday dinner with their children in Macdonalds is gone beyond a joke at this stage.

The same parents will tell you that they can’t afford to cook a proper meal, that it’s too expensive.

Lazy inbreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Stop schools spending hours teaching about imaginary beings in the sky and replace with physical exercise.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

radharc wrote: »
    Fair point, it's still healthier though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

And yet running and the gym and foods like kale and soya are more popular than ever.

I don't think it's as bad overall as people like to say. Probably only really prevalent among specific groups rather than overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Those poor people again what can be done with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭bop1977

Make operation transformation a junior cert subject. Get them before they become to fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Ava Flabby Spareribs

Many of the parents feeding their kids fast food and unhealthy meals, did home economics at secondary school; I know several.

Organic meat and veg are no panacea, as organic/unorgainc is not a factor.

McDonald's is the worst, packed day and night, kids stuffing themselves. If it was up to me I would ban McDonald's entirely but I suppose that isn't feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Those poor people again what can be done with them
    And yet it's only you who brought up poor people...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Stop schools spending hours teaching about imaginary beings in the sky and replace with physical exercise.

In fairness, there are schools that teach about the importance of diet, exercise and hygiene.
    My son's bogger school has the rule that every kid has to run a lap around the building in the morning, they talk about food a lot and the last two weeks they spent talking about dental hygiene and sugary foods. It seems that's all supported by the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Fat people are gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Selling junk food and to chunky monkeys should be made the equivalent of selling alcohol to kids

LirW wrote: »
    Ban breakfast cereal, problem solved.
    More porridge and weetabix maybe? I have buckwheat flakes and tea for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If we made poor people eat unicorns , would that help ?

Parents at deli counters in the morning before school buying their children hot food and they stuffing their face with it before school.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't know. I think personal responsibility plays a big part in things but people have a thing for blaming everybody else/government.
    Take diet there is so much information out there now about what is healthy/unhealthy. It's not rocket science.
    I know nurses/chefs/etc all who are over weight and some obese. These people have studied diet/etc for years.
    Schools now are also doing loads of active flags/health promoting schools/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think more people need to learn how to cook. It’s so much easier to control your portion sizes when you cook from scratch. And many people seem to be afraid of cooking, like it’s really hard. The more you practice it, the easier it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A bar of chocolate used to be a euro now you can go to deals, euro giant, mr price and get 4 for 1.50

Just eat, deliveroo, Uber eats etc all encouraging fast food.

We are subjected to heavy marketing campaigns from these companies through email and social media.

People are just lazy when it comes to home cooking and making bad choices. Example, woman standing next to me in Aldi the other day clearly obese spends time browsing the mince meat. Picks up the 20% fat as opposed to the 5%. Simple choices can make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Finns had a huge issue with coronary disease, especially in the north. Men used to eat a half pound of butter PER DAY.

Tergetted the housewives, got it cut way down. Incidents plummeted.

Target the mammies. You can't say that as it's gendered but in practice that's what'll do it. Exercise has practically nothing to do with weight, diet is the only factor worth considering.

The 5% fat mince is more expensive. She wouldn’t be able to buy her wine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

SSr0 wrote: »
    Fat people are gross.

I wouldn't say that but it just shows a person lacks discipline. That's all it is making the healthy choice 80% of the time and been consistent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bop1977 wrote: »
    Make operation transformation a junior cert subject. Get them before they become to fat.

I don't think making crash diets a jc subject will help anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

rob316 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that.

I would. I don't know what annoys me more, having to look at a severely obese person trying to waddle around a shop and fill their trolley with ****e, or having to listen to their pity parade as to why they do it.

Advertisement