Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert Lawn to Space and Council Paid Parking

• 17-07-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

As far as I know if you want to convert your front garden into a parking space you need to apply for planning. Well, does anyone know would the existence of Council parking pay-and-display space directly outside your boundary and pavement interfere with the likelihood of getting permission? You'd see lots of houses with converted fronts but has anyone see them adjacent to paid parking eg with a yellow box included to allow access?? Is this possible??

TIA. Asking on behalf of a friend.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it will be automatically rejected if there is a public parking space in front of the house, as to add a driveway would mean removing this public parking space. I don't believe it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Are there any other houses on the street that have done this? If not then it is very unlikely that permission would be granted. My parents in law live on a street in Dublin with pay and display parking and there is no chance that Dublin City Council would grant permission to cover their front garden to parking. They are in an area with Victorian/Edwardian houses and lovely original railings and gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

That would be really frustrating for them because apparently the council only put these parking spaces in in the last few years and the rest of the street doesn't have them ...
    I don't think the road they live on has any particular features that would need to be preserved like fancy walls or ornate railings/gates. My guess is the only problem to planning would be the council parking spaces.

If anyone has happened to see an exception please share!!

Meant to add - yes plenty of other houses nearby have converted their lawn but there is only public pathway outside not a council space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The planning permission is not for converting the lawn, it is for widening the entrance. The Council prefer off-street parking in general and may not be too worried about their own space.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The planning permission is not for converting the lawn, it is for widening the entrance. The Council prefer off-street parking in general and may not be too worried about their own space.

That's interesting. Again if anyone knows of a location in Dublin that has achieved this please reply, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The councils are trying to discourage car ownership so are very reluctant to remove a pay parking bay for a private entrance.

OP your friends need to contact the council themselves to see what the story is with planning permission for getting a footpath dished and opening the new entrance

Del2005 wrote: »
    The councils are trying to discourage car ownership so are very reluctant to remove a pay parking bay for a private entrance.

OP your friends need to contact the council themselves to see what the story is with planning permission for getting a footpath dished and opening the new entrance

Reducing available car parking does more to discourage car use than disallowing private parking. In the majority of cases of on-street parking, the resident will have a permit and will occupy the car space for a large portion of the time.

The Dublin City Council website has a number of applications to widen entrances and permission was allowed. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

Over the last few years I have been regularly visiting a house on a road in Blackrock. It is a narrow road with marked meter parking along one side and yellow lines on the other. At least 3-4 houses have added off-street parking since I have started parking there to such an extent that it is very difficult to find space to park legally on the road without blocking access. Maybe they have no planning?

C3PO wrote: »
    Over the last few years I have been regularly visiting a house on a road in Blackrock. It is a narrow road with marked meter parking along one side and yellow lines on the other. At least 3-4 houses have added off-street parking since I have started parking there to such an extent that it is very difficult to find space to park legally on the road without blocking access. Maybe they have no planning?

Easy to check on the DLR Co. CO website.
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/planning/planning-applications/planning-applications-online-search

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s not the parking you apply for permission for, it’s thenopening in the front boundary to create the vehicular entrance.

Once you get planning for that then you apply to the roads department to dish the footpath. Usually there will be a condition that you pay a fincisl contribution due to the lost revenue from the parking space and the relocation of the parking space to elsewhere.

I’ve seen these Conditions at nearly €10k in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not Dublin City Coubcil. Official development policy is to deny a request for off street parking in front gardens where to do so means the elimination of a public realm asset (onstreet parking) in favour of a private asset (off street parking). Only rarely are exceptions made where the street is a pay & display street.

Advertisement