Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Very tentative steps into family tree - help!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I believe you could predate that by a minimum of six months. Usually a widow / widower leave a period between death of the spouse and remarrying for 'decency'. Frequently it was about 2 years but in times of war, and he away / enlisted for a long period, the delay period might have been shorter. I'd initially concentrate on those who died pre July 1917.

Cool, and try to rule out anybody other than the two I've noted then, I suppose.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Yes, Pedro's advice is sensible, and it's exactly why I asked you when she remarried. Remarriage would almost certainly have excluded her from any pension entitlements.

Have you looked at Waterford newspapers for the war period? Often local papers recorded local deaths in more detail, so it might help you narrow down the field.

The Memorials of the dead shows 3 Irish men called John Hearne. You can't exclude the third guy just because it doesn't say Waterford, especially because he was in the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

However, I think I have the answer for you. He's in the Soldier's Wills index on the NAI site. 7549 is him.
    http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/HearneJ_E204829.pdf

Oh my God, amazing. Thank you so much. That's unreal to have that confirmation.

Can't wait to tell my mam. 😀

And to carry on with more research!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I used to be involved with a project photographing war graves. They should be able to supply you with a high quality photograph of any grave, or name on a memorial.
    http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/

spurious wrote: »
    I used to be involved with a project photographing war graves. They should be able to supply you with a high quality photograph of any grave, or name on a memorial.
    http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/

Thanks for that. I'm going to France on Thursday and next week I'll only be about an hour and a half away from the cemetery so we're going to pay the grave a visit. I think we'll more than likely be the first people ever to specifically visit his grave which will be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The CWGC site will give you grave and cemetery details HERE, including map

• Advertisement

The CWGC site will give you grave and cemetery details HERE, including map

Yeah thanks I have all that, I just finally know for certain which one he is. He's buried in Fricourt in France. Died just before the battle of the somme. All very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Taurusire

I believe the John Hearne you are looking for may be my grandfathers brother. My grandfathers name was Edward Hearne and his siblings were John, Mary(Sissy), James, Michael, William, Alice (died young), and Annie.
    Their father Thomas appears to have used two surnames, Hearne and Fogarty.
    Thomas (Fogarty) married Bridget Waters in 1884. Most of their childrens births were registered as Fogarty, with the exception of Annie. John was registered as Peter John Fogarty b.1886 and they lived in Water Street at that time. They then moved to no.1 Roches Street. We believe John moved to no. 18 Roche's Street after marrying Mary Ryan, and had two daughters Bridget and Alice before dying in WW1.
    It seems that Thomas was using both names until at least 1911. They appear to have solely used the Hearne surname after this time.
    Only Bridget Hearne and their children are listed in 1901 census at no.1 Roche's Street (Thomas not present) and they are listed as Fogorty (spelling error) in the 1911 census. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Taurusire

Also just to add that if you check the wedding records for Bridget Hearne and James McCarthy, you will see that Mary Lonergan is named as a witness. Lonergan is the marriage name of Mary Hearne (John's sister).

Advertisement