Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could not get oil filer off and dented it. OK to drive?

• 16-06-2019 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Further on from my other thread of yesterday, I just got the oil done today (managed to lock myself out of car yesterday!!!)

So I drained the oil and fitted a replacement oil level sensor, But, I just could not get the filter off, think my wrench is for a bigger dia filter.

Put a few small dents in it about mid way along the length. Pretty sure no punctures. Decided to give up or risk damaging it further and having my car stuck with no oil in it/

So apart from having done an oil change and not changing the filter, will the dents block oil flow?

I let it run for a bit no sign of a leak.

Audi A4 1.6 petrol, '02.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Probably no problem but who knows how close to rupture it is ?

I’d be getting it changed sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Yes I think I'll get another wrench and try again later in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Drive a large screwdriver into the filter and turn it anti-clockwise to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Drive a large screwdriver into the filter and turn it anti-clockwise to remove.

The old ways are often the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's what I'd do, if there's room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Isambard wrote: »

it's what I'd do, if there's room
    Same as I'd no room for a chain in my previous cat, and my hands were to big to properly grip it

Thanks, I might try the screwdriver as a last resort, sounds a bit brutal!!

Witch are, the chain wrench, or the claw type, which I have but it's too big?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Don't hammer a screwdriver in if you can avoid it.

I've found the 3-leg and strap based tools are the best to use.

Don't hammer a screwdriver in if you can avoid it.

I've found the 3-leg and strap based tools are the best to use.

Like this?

https://ige.ie/3-leg-filter-wrench/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0ZfoBRB4EiwASUMdYXGlN1o49EJCgWH0Hi9ZojIgDWlFcK8irm-D94khwOdGYVgvoMETRhoCsxYQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have one of these, its never failed me yet on many vehicles and different types of filter and housing.
    draper-oil-filter-strap-56137-1.jpg
    https://www.craigmoreonline.ie/draper-280mm-capacity-oil-filter-strap-wrench?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Kbsp_Hu4gIVmKztCh2IzwUgEAQYASABEgJzePD_BwE
    If you have more room around it, these strap type ones are also good.
    p_161019_05697.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i don't know what you call it, but I've a large wrench with jaws big enough to grip the filter, I use that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

You'd think in this day and age they would put consumable parts like filters into sensible locations and positions for ease of access.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Until it tears all the way around and you're left with nothing to grip on to to get the filter remains off.

You'd think in this day and age they would put consumable parts like filters into sensible locations and positions for ease of access.

Plenty of them are more accessible from underneath. Like when it's on a ramp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Melodeon

It's a well known fact* that in most cases the first thing placed on the production line is the oil filter, and the car is then assembled around it.

*May not be actual "fact"

Melodeon wrote: »
    It's a well known fact* that in most cases the first thing placed on the production line is the oil filter, and the car is then assembled around it.

*May not be actual "fact"

They clamp the filter to the bench and spin the engine on to it.

Also may not be fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Damienmac

As far as not driving it:

I think if the dent was to block oil flow it would cause the oil light to stay on after starting. So if it's happy with the oil pressure it's probably fine.

Plenty of them are more accessible from underneath. Like when it's on a ramp :)

A ramp :) If only, would be pure heaven! For my A4 is seems the top access is better once you remove (one screw and unclip, put to one side) the coolant tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Fold a sheet of sandpaper and place it under the removal tool, grit side out. Jamming a screwdriver through it is the desperate last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

All oil filter systems are fitted with bypass valves, if the pressure gets too high, the flow will divert from the filter.

Most cars will run bypass at any sort of higher revs. A significant amount of your oil will never see the inside of the filter.

• Advertisement

Update on this, got both a chain wrench and the type that fits the "nut" end of the filter from Halfords last weekend. They did not have the strap type in stock. Got the job done yesterday with the chain, so can return the unused tool.

Also finally solved the mystery of a hose that went nowhere (see my other post here)!

BTW, Woodies have 5L Castrol GTX for €27/28 - VAG spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Until it tears all the way around and you're left with nothing to grip on to to get the filter remains off.

Chisel and hammer and beat it off around where the base of the filter is crimped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Unfortunately the old ways are no longer an option on newer cars (newer than OP's) - they use replaceable paper cartridges so you re-use the filter housing. Even more of a pain if they're seized as it's not just a thin can that can be punctured easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Unfortunately the old ways are no longer an option on newer cars (newer than OP's) - they use replaceable paper cartridges so you re-use the filter housing. Even more of a pain if they're seized as it's not just a thin can that can be punctured easily.

Iv actually never had that type seize. Or be hard to open

I've failed to remove one on a 1.33 Auris - the teeth broke on my removal tool before I got anywhere with it. Maybe if I had a breaker bar or had the car up on a lift I might have been able to do it but it wouldn't budge. On that one (1NR-FE engine) the housing seems to be metal and it's facing vertically out underneath the sump. I've seen others that stick out sideways (easier to get leverage) and use plastic housing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It has to be said that replaceable paper elements for oil filters have been around for donkeys.

It has to be said that replaceable paper elements for oil filters have been around for donkeys.

How long is "donkeys"? I've only seen it become commonplace in the past 15 years or so. I haven't worked on many cars, but my previous 406 diesel (DW10 engine was new in 1998) had an old can style filter, and anything newer (and I mean a more recently designed engine) that I've looked at had a cartridge filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I usually use a piece of rope to open a tight filter. Place a loop around filter, and then slip a screw driver under loop and twist until tight, and then place screw driver against filter for leverage to twist it off. Works every time.

• Advertisement

How long is "donkeys"? I've only seen it become commonplace in the past 15 years or so. I haven't worked on many cars, but my previous 406 diesel (DW10 engine was new in 1998) had an old can style filter, and anything newer (and I mean a more recently designed engine) that I've looked at had a cartridge filter.

Mercedes W123* had it:

pic06.jpg

* My favourite car of all time btw.

Advertisement