Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch Buy/Sell/Swap Meet Up

• 23-02-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested?

It seems most people on here are always on the look out for a new watch and lots also want to thin out a collection.

(Hopefully some well known forum regulars get behind this)

Multiple choice, location, attending or no. 37 votes

Dublin
    62% 23 votes
    Beyond the Palers
    18% 7 votes
    Yay, I would be up for attending.
    5% 2 votes
    No way would I want to meet you bleedin weirdos.
    13% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good idea S. I would suggest when you get an idea of numbers take it to PM for safety's sake.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Depending on location then maybe.

Forum is fairly small and spread across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Ok the mob have (not) spoken!
    I think if a forum heavyweight had suggested the idea, it may have gained more interest.
    If anyone wants to take control from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

It hasnt gained interest because it really isnt feasible. You just sound paranoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

shutup wrote: »
    Ok the mob have (not) spoken!
    I think if a forum heavyweight had suggested the idea, it may have gained more interest.
    If anyone wants to take control from here?

There has been several meet ups over the years I understand; before you started posting on this forum so you may not be aware.

I think some one else recently tried; only two people could go.

You can take it personally that no one has responded to this or you can realise that it’s due to the fact that the community is small and spread country wide and further again (hdmi in the US for example). It’s a challenge to get people together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus, the lad was just suggesting something, hardly any need for the paranoid label.

It's pretty much what 893 said. We're spread all over the place, so it's hard to gather people together. Which is a pity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

If located in Dublin I'm interested.

If I can make it I will :)

funkyouup wrote: »
    It hasnt gained interest because it really isnt feasible. You just sound paranoid.

I didn’t mean to sound bitter. I suppose it did look like I was complaining.
    But yes I agree with the points made. I probably didn’t realise how small the community is.
    Just would be a cool event to go to. It’s hard to tel from photos sometimes and I’d like to try stuff on before buying.
    Maybe something will happen down the line.

shutup wrote: »
    I didn’t mean to sound bitter. I suppose it did look like I was complaining.
    But yes I agree with the points made. I probably didn’t realise how small the community is.
    Just would be a cool event to go to. It’s hard to tel from photos sometimes and I’d like to try stuff on before buying.
    Maybe something will happen down the line.

No worries, didnt want to sound like a dick either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

I'm in Dublin, should be able to meetup and I've got a Steinhart OVM to shift. :)

Not wanting to go full Jackeen here :D but maybe work out the basic numbers that are in Dublin and take it from there?

Can a pole be added to it for location?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Also in Dublin, and might be around for one of these. Wouldn't expect to sell anything on the day, but would be happy to bring my Monaco and Sinn along, should anyone feel like trying either on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

funkyouup wrote: »
    Can a pole be added to it for location?

From which to hang watches? :pac:

The mob are speaking up!
    I’m in Kildare but happy to head to Dublin.
    Apart from a venue we probably need to establish if anyone is selling, swapping or hoping to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

In Dublin and always up for a meet up and potentially buying/selling!

OK I slapped together a poll(which means I'll probably break the interwebs). Multiple choice.

Just a thought; maybe make it a sociable meet(with beers, white wine for the laydees, minerals for the childer) and a swap/sell thang?

EDIT let me know if the poll works folks. I am a thundering moron so... and it won't let me vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The poll works, I just voted for the bottom option. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

It's always hard to do this. I'd be all up for it and then something else comes up. Like a champions League match! I would like to meet up but city centre can be a pain heading in after work and stuff. See what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I just voted. It says only one person has cast their vote?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

oxocube wrote: »
    I just voted. It says only one person has cast their vote?!?

yeah, me i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'd be up for this, greater Dublin, Kildare or not too far into Meath.

Just voted and it didnt seem to count.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I get: "Unable to process your vote"

but yes & Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

I don't want other people touching my watches :)

I might have a few cheap Casio to off load.

Also a couple of my wife's Michael Kors watches to sell.

Sounds like a good idea fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

I got: "unable to process your vote" also but now I see at the top: "You have already voted on this poll". So I think my vote was counted, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah, I got similar. Dunno what's going on with it. Probably me setting it up. Apparently it's foolproof, but they didn't count on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I'm in Kildare but would travel for an hour some evening just to look at some different watches.

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

If in Dublin I'm in.
    I've missed the past few meet ups for various reasons but Homer has told me they've been great fun. He told me about that one that everyone got naked and there was baby oil everywhere... sounded great.

Advertisement