Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Price for painting hall/stairs/landing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Nope it’s not.

It’s not my fault you’re scraping a living.

Actually it is, either a plasterer or painter of good repute, that took years to gain the know how to do a job corectly, to pay for the best equipment to use, are being undercut by the likes of you who will employ Johnny come lately to do a job at the cheapest possible price, knowing full well that he cannot be legit ( though you might very well protest otherwise, everyone with a modicum of common sense can see things for what they are). Surprised a moderator on this site would be publicly willing to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭oceanman

dok_golf wrote: »
    You an expert then?
    done my fair share of that type of work over the years....hardly rocket science.

The answer is no then

The answer is no then
    I don't think the op is looking for an expert, just someone who will do ok job for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Make sure you get an invoice off him so that you will have some comeback if/when things go to ****e.

Lol don’t worry I’ll have the Small Claims Court on speed dial for when the walls cave in or the house burns down from the 2 days he’s spending doing a bit of sanding and a bit of painting.

• Advertisement

Lol don’t worry I’ll have the Small Claims Court on speed dial for when the walls cave in or the house burns down from the 2 days he’s spending doing a bit of sanding and a bit of painting.
    You won't need small claims court. His insurance will cover it

You won't need small claims court. His insurance will cover it

Happy days so, nothing to worry about :)

Happy days so, nothing to worry about :)

All flippancy aside, be careful. If he trips coming down your stairs or comes off a ladder, with no insurance, he can claim against your home insurance

All flippancy aside, be careful. If he trips coming down your stairs or comes off a ladder, with no insurance, he can claim against your home insurance

As much as I’m sure that would tickle you, the guy has dozens of fantastic reviews on Adverts spanning over the past number of years, so I’m reasonably confident that he’s not some shady character who’s going to throw himself down the stairs or paint my cat or try to sleep with my boyfriend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

As much as I’m sure that would tickle you, the guy has dozens of fantastic reviews on Adverts spanning over the past number of years, so I’m reasonably confident that he’s not some shady character who’s going to throw himself down the stairs or paint my cat or try to sleep with my boyfriend :)

reviews on adverts. come on now. anyone could fake that.

• Advertisement

reviews on adverts. come on now. anyone could fake that.

You do know you can view profiles on Adverts when they leave reviews? So if you’re suggesting he’s playing a seriously long game and has set up 70+ accounts and spent a few years on each of them buying and selling products and services just so he leave fake reviews on his painter account all with the purpose of duping me...

You do know you can view profiles on Adverts when they leave reviews? So if you’re suggesting he’s playing a seriously long game and has set up 70+ accounts and spent a few years on each of them buying and selling products and services just so he leave fake reviews on his painter account all with the purpose of duping me...

why not. it can be done. im not saying they are all fake but some could be

as a mod here im sure you see some of the stupid levels that some people do to troll boards. often seting up multiple profiles and arguing with themselves.

does adverts know that the sale was genuine and that it actually happened

ps i dont use adverts i hate it . its a horribe set up

Oh get a grip, he has in his hole done that. And sure look even IF 10% of the reviews are fake, there are still a reassuringly amount of great reviews (and from accounts that are clearly not fake).

And FWIW (since it’s the second time it’s been brought up) I’m not a moderator on boards. I’m a hosted moderator of a small private forum. They’re two very different things.

Oh get a grip, he has in his hole done that. And sure look even IF 10% of the reviews are fake, there are still a reassuringly amount of great reviews (and from accounts that are clearly not fake).

And FWIW (since it’s the second time it’s been brought up) I’m not a moderator on boards. I’m a hosted moderator of a small private forum. They’re two very different things.

im not saying he has. im saying he could.

of course he is going to get great reviews. he is only charging 1/2 of the going rate. the people that are going to hire him arnt looking for quality or a fully legal business. all they care about is the cost to them.

as for the mod part. how are we to know any different. it says mod several times on your profile .

im not saying he has. im saying he could.

of course he is going to get great reviews. he is only charging 1/2 of the going rate. the people that are going to hire him arnt looking for quality or a fully legal business. all they care about is the cost to them.

If you say so! *thumbs up*
    as for the mod part. how are we to know any different. it says mod several times on your profile .

Not sure why you would need to know since it’s of absolutely no consequence to anything in this thread or forum!

If you say so! *thumbs up*

i see this very regularly . people only care about the cost and not whats being done

Not sure why you would need to know since it’s of absolutely no consequence to anything in this thread or forum!

being a mod makes no diference . all i was saying is that if you were a mod you would be well used to seeing the crazy stuff people do to screw about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

OP as others have said that is an extremely cheap quote can’t see how this guy can afford to work so cheap when you factor in the cost of materials. Is he supplying the paint ?

Marty Bird wrote: »
    OP as others have said that is an extremely cheap quote can’t see how this guy can afford to work so cheap when you factor in the cost of materials. Is he supplying the paint ?

No of course not, I’m buying the paint myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

:D Sure look if he turns up he turns up!

It’s not like we’ve paid him up front! If he does an ok job for €140 with some bits we need to tidy up ourselves I’ll consider it money well spent as all the graft work will be done. We don’t own the house, we’re saving to buy a house, all we want is a touch-up job to make the place look better. He was giving us good advice on humidity in the house and about the colours that we wanted. I saw his work diary when he was scheduling us in. As I said he seems legit. If he doesn’t turn up we haven’t lost anything. I’m happy to take the risk :)

Hiya, I get where your coming from..

However no way your getting a painter, I mean a proper time served painter, with years of experience. Probably a eastern european handyman type, no offence meant. A race to the bottom with these guys who seriously devalue our trade imo.

No way I'd let a customer of mine, tidy my job up, or leave them unhappy. If he turns up he turns up, also says alot. And you are indeed taking multiple risks.

One line that stood out was it's a rental, complete red flag as it's all about costs, to either you or the landlord. For example if another 'painter' said 120 you'd have gone with them. Homeowners, especially ones in that home for a long time have greater pride and see value in hiring a painter and decorator. That value may well be expertise and experience, quality of work etc

40% of people will always decide a service on price alone. Happily that leaves the rest that can appreciate why things may cost more.

Good luck with it ðŸ‘

Our house is old, it has issues with damp, there are cracks in the walls. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done to it and a lick of paint is the least of its issues. It’s owned by a family member who charges us low rent, the situation suits both parties for now. We’re not going to invest money into a house that we’re hoping to only be in another 18 months or so. We want it to look nice so we can enjoy our home. Someone who’s gonna come in and fill the dents and cracks and make it look clean and well looked after is exactly what we’re looking for. The painter/handyman (whatever you want to call him) has glowing reviews for his quality of work, cleanliness, reliability. Even if it is relative cos he’s cheap...we’re fine with that.

And he’s not Eastern European.
    Good luck with it ðŸ‘

Thanks, looking forward to having the place spruced up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

This threads gas.

My guess is that he does a quick job, little bit rough around the edges, and it’s cash and no receipt. It’s not your gaff, and it’ll still look better than it did beforehand, so everyone’s a winner.

This threads gas.

My guess is that he does a quick job, little bit rough around the edges, and it’s cash and no receipt. It’s not your gaff, and it’ll still look better than it did beforehand, so everyone’s a winner.

Bingo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Bingo!

You’re still worse than Hitler for getting him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Heavens, where are all these skilled, experienced local professionals who clean up after themselves (rofl), who turn up when they say they will and don't beggar off in the middle of the job to keep someone else onside. Or they have a bad back, or the kids have to be picked up from school (honestly) and so on and so forth. And will in fact give you a quote in the first place... Mind you I have noticed the Polish lads have picked up some bad habits ten years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

sounds like the fella is being a fool to himself, why does he value his time so cheaply?

alan1963 wrote: »
    sounds like the fella is being a fool to himself, why does he value his time so cheaply?
    maybe he has plenty of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Thanks a mil for your advice and fair play for doing it all yourself! This would be the ideal for us. If quotes are too high we’ll just have to take a few days off work and get it all done. How long did it take you? Did you have to do any prep work on the walls?

Late with my reply, apologies.
    Not much prep, the usual masking and a quick wipe down.
    I was painting a pale colour over a pale colour so 2 coats sufficed.
    I used colortrend which I love as it covers so well and is a dream to work with.
    The walls were in fairly good condition and 2 of the smaller walls had new plasterboard. A few hours per day, over 2 days as I did 2 coats, plus I work fulltime.

I see you've got someone booked, hope all goes well for you. It's different when it's your own house versus a rented one, no point in spending ridiculous money when you're not planning on staying forever.

looksee wrote: »
    Heavens, where are all these skilled, experienced local professionals who clean up after themselves (rofl), who turn up when they say they will and don't beggar off in the middle of the job to keep someone else onside. Or they have a bad back, or the kids have to be picked up from school (honestly) and so on and so forth. And will in fact give you a quote in the first place... Mind you I have noticed the Polish lads have picked up some bad habits ten years on.

If you want me to quote while doing all the rofl tasks above ( which I do as standard ) drop me a pm. I might restore your faith in good trades people

oceanman wrote: »
    He'll need it to sign on ( imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

oceanman wrote: »

Nobody has plenty of time, we are all in death row.

Advertisement