Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blood Moon Monday Morning 21st January at 515am

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Myself and the young fella got to see the eclipse here in kerry a short time ago. Thin veil of cloud but a nice dark red colour. Nice still night, can hear the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

managed too see it, but due too high cloud \ mist ,sadly couldn't make out the redness properly,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Managed to catch a glimpse of it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It was on/off in Dun Laoghaire, very misty sort of high cloud but you could see the red during the earlier part of totality, and it cleared up nicely to see the moon re-emerge. As others notes, frustratingly you could see crystal clear skies to the East! Still very much worth watching.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Could only just about see where the moon is, through the cloud, in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Clouds never got out of the way in D24. It was a lighter cloud by 6:20am so I could make out where the moon was behind them and I think I could see the shadow, like a bite out of the bottom of it, but not clear enough to see the red or any detail. Disappointing, as the forecasts I checked all said clear skies in the east of the country - instead there were clear skies TO the east, while the all-important southwest side was cloudy :(

I saw a full blood moon in Scotland in Sept 2015 - was amazing to watch, so hope anyone who could see it today enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Yes same all the cloud cover at 605. Saw a glimpse of the moon with the shadow.......but no red glow :( Nothing now full cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Didn’t get a good glimpse of the eclipse due to cloud but the moon was very visible earlier in the night.

https://twitter.com/snowbiewx/status/1087248132080128001?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Pangea wrote: »
    Now I remember why I never get up in middle of the night for things like this, always a waste of time :(

I know.
    This just in.
    Cloudy night in Ireland.

Is anyone really suprised.

Skies were clear all night in the South East up until the time of the actual eclipse when cloud cover spoiled everything :(
    Disappointing especially when reports said it was going to be visible from all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Their is a beautiful red sky over Dublin now is that is any consolation to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I missed it. I didn't want to disturb everyone in the house but I thought I had a good view from a window.

I looked at first and a house was blocking my view. I waited a bit and a tree was in the way. Waited a few more minutes and another house blocked my view.

Giving up went back to bed hoping I would get at least the tail end of the eclipse. Nope clouded over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Disappointed, got up at silly o'clock, looked like a normal moon obscured by clouds. Promptly returned to bed. D16

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Woke at 0440 went out and lo and behold a crisp clear night, no clouds. I could clearly see the reddish tinge to the moon. Unusual as most astronomical events like these are hidden by clouds but this was spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 button_smith

it's east Offaly, it is minus 1.1 c, there is mid to high level cloud all over the sky,but seeing the mucky orange ball off into the east coming into obscure focus was....Brill' It was indeed well worth the cold and i hope i'm still around for the next one.

The clouds must have been very localised and intermittent, we were able to see a lot of the early part in Dun Laoghaire before the clouds rolled in but others in Dublin are saying they saw basically nothing at all. Got to see it during the red / totality phase which is the important thing! Only thing I'd have liked to have seen was the few minutes where it acutely transitions from its normal colour to red, and the reverse at the other end of the eclipse - as it happened, both of these parts were clouded. What that did mean was that we saw it in red, then it clouded over for 20 minutes or so, and then when the clouds rolled away it had gone back to white with a big chunk missing :D Would have been cool to get a video of that, but as most here will know getting decent night sky photos with a phone camera is a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Went down to Dollymount at 4.15, fantastic clear view of the eclipse and a beautiful red moon until 5, then all disappeared in cloud. Didn't even get a decent photo as my camera set up didn't work.
    ****e phone pic. Could have been so much better!

20190121-043420.jpgpost image

Went down to Dollymount at 4.15, fantastic clear view of the eclipse and a beautiful red moon until 5, then all disappeared in cloud.

How long did the colour transition at either end of the totality period actually take? In Dun Laoghaire, cloud cover just happened to coincide with both ends of the totality, so we had white moon -> cloud cover -> red moon -> cloud cover -> white moon again. It was pretty much entirely obscured during the transitions. Was it an abrupt thing like with a solar eclipse, where it's like "sun disappearing, sun disappearing, *BOOM!* corona flares, *BOOM* sun reapparing" or was the colour change more subtle and spaced out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It was clear to full eclipse. It went clear moon, gradual very obvious eclipse, at full eclipse the bottom third and left side were red. A man beside me got incredibly detailed close up photos with a 200mm lens. Then the clouds turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I woke at 5am and said I'd just give myself a minute more to rest in bed before getting up.

I woke at 6:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

This is all I saw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I got up at 5am to watch the eclipse. I could definitely see the reddish blood moon but it was rather hazy, whether this was due to it being somewhat obscured by high cloud/mist or my eyesight deteriorating I`m not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

There is a lovely widefield video of the eclipse that I came across here:
    https://vimeo.com/312478122

It is widefield so does not show the lunar disk in detail, but instead shows how dark the sky becomes during totality - when the stars pop out from the night sky, back to when the moon comes out of totality and 'washes out' the sky with its light (and when the stars become much harder to discern again).

Advertisement