Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Masters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Used to love bbc coverage but would be happy enough now to see the whole lot given over to Eurosport. Red button is a total cop out imo and I’d still say that if I had access!

Day missed a trick there for 2-2, went for an insanely risky pot there I think.

Anyone with Sky can still get the red button. Im watching it on the red button now.

https://www.horsesportireland.ie/how-to-watch-bbc-red-button-in-ireland/

Yeah this is a slog. Higgins has been terrible and Day is dull to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

A few punters on Twitter discovered a bet on Paddy Power for all matches in the first round. 500/1 for both players to have five 50+ breaks. Crazy odds. It landed this afternoon with Allen v Brecel, and landed once in each of the last four Masters. Looks like PP have removed the bet for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dante7 wrote: »
    A few punters on Twitter discovered a bet on Paddy Power for all matches in the first round. 500/1 for both players to have five 50+ breaks. Crazy odds. It landed this afternoon with Allen v Brecel, and landed once in each of the last four Masters. Looks like PP have removed the bet for the moment.

That's mad. You often hear of a player getting whitewashed or not scoring over 50 in a first round match. But with the quality of players in the masters that's a big mistake at 500/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

That's mad. You often hear of a player getting whitewashed or not scoring over 50 in a first round match. But with the quality of players in the masters that's a big mistake at 500/1.

If it goes to 6-5, there is a fair chance that each would get five 50+. You could even have both players getting 50+ in the same frame. Someone calculated that the true odds should be about 20/1 for an average first round match in the Masters. PP must have had an intern on snooker duty over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The Nal wrote: »
    Anyone with Sky can still get the red button. Im watching it on the red button now.

https://www.horsesportireland.ie/how-to-watch-bbc-red-button-in-ireland/

Yeah this is a slog. Higgins has been terrible and Day is dull to watch.

Don’t have sky so no option here.

Ryan Day would be a helluva snooker player if he could handle pressure imo. Making hard work of beating a clearly off color John Higgins here. Could be wrong but have a feeling we are witnessing the last dregs of higgins’ pro career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah Higgins looks/sounds like he's packed it in after losing the Crucible final last May. Famous last words mind.

Yeah Higgins looks/sounds like he's packed it in after losing the Crucible final last May. Famous last words mind.

Absolutely. He was speaking about retirement end of last year and sounding fed up with the grind. They say you can pick and choose your events now but not sure it’s that simple. Doesn’t say much for Day I think that he’s making such hard work of this.

Absolutely. He was speaking about retirement end of last year and sounding fed up with the grind. They say you can pick and choose your events now but not sure it’s that simple. Doesn’t say much for Day I think that he’s making such hard work of this.

Ronnie used Higgins as an example when he was talking about too many competitions and burnout. Maybe its just that.

His long potting is a worrying sign though. 50% ish success in this match. First thing to go etc.

Fair clearance from Ryan Day to take it 6-5

Really surprised at how well Day won that last frame. Given how bad the previous frame was I thought it would be a scrappy final frame

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Ronnie used Higgins as an example when he was talking about too many competitions and burnout. Maybe its just that.

His long potting is a worrying sign though. 50% ish success in this match. First thing to go etc.

Maybe. I certainly wouldn’t write him off, people were doing that with MJW a couple of years back and look what happened?

50% long pot success isn’t terrible, is that what it was? Looks like he’s cutting across shots, the thin cuts into blind pockets too and that’s usually a very alarming sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Today's matches...

1pm: Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Stuart Bingham

7pm: Ding Junhui vs Jack Lisowski

Pity Bingham o Sullivan is on during the day. I might be able to have in open in a browser in the background in work. I can at least listen to it through headphones that way.

It seems to be the BBC's approach to put the higher profile match on BBC 1 or BBC 2 in the afternoon and then put the evening match on the red button so they don't take up a prime time spot with snooker.

It seems to be the BBC's approach to put the higher profile match on BBC 1 or BBC 2 in the afternoon and then put the evening match on the red button so they don't take up a prime time spot with snooker.

Yeah they've been doing that for a long time now. They only really show the semi and final of big events in the evenings.

It was always the case. I don't recall any time in the past when bbc2 would show more than 30 mins to 1 hour live (maybe 7-8) from an evening session before the semi finals. For the worlds they still show an hour from 7-8 but not for the other two.

The red button option transformed coverage and the number of hours that are shown.

Then itv4 tournaments in recent years means that itv get to show live sessions in the evenings mid week. Something which itv would never dream of doing on the main channel before now.

I still get shivers everytime Ronnie walks in.

John Parrott: “You’re not going to beat Ronnie unless you score.”

No sh!t sherlock!

Bingham has played well most of the season, could be a good match this.

John Parrott: “You’re not going to beat Ronnie unless you score.”

Getting 28 points in fouls at the start of a frame helps a bit as well...

• Advertisement

Great frame for Bingham. Stopped Ronnie from starting quick.

Think this is the first time I've heard of this option to knock about a few balls on the match table an hour before the match. A la tennis. Don't see why a player wouldn't take up the option. Certainly for the less seasoned pros. Luca Brecel did it yesterday but they didn't bother with it before this match.

Ronnie looks extremely nervy and unsettled in this match so far.

Think this is the first time I've heard of this option to knock about a few balls on the match table an hour before the match. A la tennis. Don't see why a player wouldn't take up the option. Certainly for the less seasoned pros. Luca Brecel did it yesterday but they didn't bother with it before this match.

Can’t see why they wouldn’t either, seems a no brainer. Ken seemed to be suggesting the players aren’t that keen on the idea, no idea why.

Can’t see why they wouldn’t either, seems a no brainer. Ken seemed to be suggesting the players aren’t that keen on the idea, no idea why.

Got to think it would be a big plus for a qualifier if they could do this in the Crucible. Help to settle down and get a proper feel for the place, and the table.

Got to think it would be a big plus for a qualifier if they could do this in the Crucible. Help to settle down and get a proper feel for the place, and the table.

Absolutely, can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be a regular thing. Anything to help them adjust should be encouraged.

Hasn’t caught fire this match at all, ronnie with his b game but looks like it will be good enough.

Ronnie hitting his stride now, carving out a 96 break from a tricky table to take a 2-1 lead.

Disagree with hendry there, I don’t think this is bingham being intimidated by ronnie. He’s just playing rubbish, simple as. Has a terrible masters record, just seems to hate the event for some reason.

A 134 from Ronnie (that's century #987) to lead 3-1 at the midsession interval.

• Advertisement

987 centuries. When will he pass 1000?

Advertisement