Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

it's fairly simple; gardai, when they police a junction, should pull in and fine light breakers, be they motorists or cyclists. that is all.
    the issue is that they don't police junctions.
    True, I see cars breaking lights in front of Gardai all the time, a Garda clearing a bus lane on the N11 a few weeks ago didn't bother issuing fines to the 45 cars, just stood there and waved them out, even though some were paying so little attention, they did not even see him.
    I've never heard of any case of a cyclist being seriously injured as a result of breaking a red light. Given the enthusiasm of much of the media to join in a round of cyclist-bashing, I'd be fairly confident that this hasn't happened in living memory.
    Only one I have ever heard of at O'Connell bridge, and he was not seriously injured, only reason it made the news is that he claimed the car ran the red but an overwhelming amount of evidence showed him to be an arm chancing scumbag and the judge ruled against him
    Cyclists can be fatal to pedestrians too.
    Once since the turn of the century. That's it, once. Cyclist completely at fault, accepted blame, and had life destroyed. I worked just up the road at the time. It was awful, one way street and the courier was going against traffic, pedestrian stepped off the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Shai wrote: »
    I'm not gonna comment on injuries here, as I don't have any numbers handy, but I want to ask you what exactly you mean by intimidation. When people talk about cyclists intimidating others, I often have the impression that they're really talking about teenagers on bikes trying to act tough, racing on pedestrian lanes and generally just being a pest to pedestrians. Am I misreading this?

If you are a pedestrian crossing on a green light at a crossing and cars and cyclists are not stopping then that is intimidating. If you are pedestrian on a footpath and a cyclists whizzes past you with cm that is intimidating. The whole point of a footpath is that you should not have to look out for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Let’s say I was interested in helping put manners on red-light runners on my local crossroads.
    And I am. (Doyle’s Corner – getting really dangerous)
    If I were to record “evidence packs” - High quality video clips, indexed in spreadsheet - likely I would be wasting my time providing same to the police.
    However, if the offender’s insurer were identifiable, they would perhaps be more interested in making life more uncomfortable for serial red-light runners.
    The UK have a look-up service to find an insurer from a license number.
    Wonder would the Motor Insurer’s Bureau of Ireland set up similar, or endorse such a citizen-fed scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The whole point of a footpath is that you should not have to look out for traffic.

You're dead right

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/video-cork-gardai-probing-dangerous-driving-on-busy-city-footpath-827339.html

Take a look at these search results: https://twitter.com/search?q=makewayday&s=09

If you are a pedestrian crossing on a green light at a crossing and cars and cyclists are not stopping then that is intimidating. If you are pedestrian on a footpath and a cyclists whizzes past you with cm that is intimidating. The whole point of a footpath is that you should not have to look out for traffic.

Its ****ehawk behaviour, pedestrian lights beside my kids school, often you have to wait on the green man for cars to stop, and on some occasions, the lights have went back to red as people kept driving through.

I remember years ago a courier doing his at College Green, old guy just stopped and jammed his shoulder out and the courier came to a dead stop and planted himself into the ground. The old guy was like the Glimmer man, didn't say a word, didn't give out, just blended into the crowd and was gone. Courier was so stunned he became confused that no one else was lying on the ground with him. Not saying I agree with physical confrontation but I have to say, it was a lesson well learned.

Red light jumping needs a cultural shift, it will take years, the only way to do this effectively is enforcement, the only reasonable and safe way to make that work is automate it and hand over Admin to a civilian team. Once it becomes the norm, younger people will not even think about it as its not the done thing, and then it will all but disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If you want to see how bad things are just go to these two junctions:

1. O'Connell bridge, massive junction but the amount of red light breaking from traffic from the port to the west is unreal. A clear red and they still go through that big junction. You want to know why people have a bad opinion of motorists, well just stay here for a half hour in the morning/evening rush and you see why.

2 Camden St junction down by Whelan's pub. You want to know why people have a bad opinion of cyclists, well just stay here for a half hour in the morning/evening rush and you see why.

Sometimes I feel like bringing a hurl with me and hit everything that goes through a red light, might not be a good idea though:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

Camden St junction down by Whelan's pub. You want to know why people have a bad opinion of cyclists, well just stay here for a half hour in the morning/evening rush and you see why.

That was my commute a while back. I was waiting up the front at the red on the pushbike to go down Aungier st completely day-dreaming and a cyclist blazed past me ... didn't spot the copper on the motorbike right beside me who took this as a personal insult and went after him the lols were very funny

trellheim wrote: »
    That was my commute a while back. I was waiting up the front at the red on the pushbike to go down Aungier st completely day-dreaming and a cyclist blazed past me ... didn't spot the copper on the motorbike right beside me who took this as a personal insult and went after him the lols were very funny

I always love it when this happens, if your paying so little attention that you don't cop a Garda, on foot, bike or car, then you simply cannot use the excuse that you were somehow "doing it safely". remember a Merc trying to turn right at the bottom of Camden St. (not allowed), sat there for ages, holding up traffic. Two Gardai on foot, down the road, just stood out on the road, waiting for him. Everyone else stopped when they seen the Gardai and he put the foot down and had to skid stop a few metres later. Whole junction erupted in as round of applause for the muppets stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭blackwhite

CramCycle wrote: »
    I always love it when this happens, if your paying so little attention that you don't cop a Garda, on foot, bike or car, then you simply cannot use the excuse that you were somehow "doing it safely". remember a Merc trying to turn right at the bottom of Camden St. (not allowed), sat there for ages, holding up traffic. Two Gardai on foot, down the road, just stood out on the road, waiting for him. Everyone else stopped when they seen the Gardai and he put the foot down and had to skid stop a few metres later. Whole junction erupted in as round of applause for the muppets stupidity.

TBH I'd always have the same train of thought with Go-Safe vans.

They are usually so visible in advance that I cannot understand how anybody managed to get caught - they must be half asleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

blackwhite wrote: »
    TBH I'd always have the same train of thought with Go-Safe vans.

They are usually so visible in advance that I cannot understand how anybody managed to get caught - they must be half asleep!

I got caught by one of them, sailed past at 60km/h thinking what fecking eejit is going to get caught here.

A few weeks later got the fine in the post, turns out the limit was 50km/h.

So, to answer my own question. This fecking eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

And the amount of ballbags who'll break a red light where two sets of lights are literally one after another. They'll break the first set only to end up sitting at the second set. Red light breakers really boil my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

And the amount of ballbags who'll break a red light where two sets of lights are literally one after another. They'll break the first set only to end up sitting at the second set. Red light breakers really boil my piss.

I see this daily outside the Skylon Hotel in Drumcondra.
    There are two sets of lights that go red at the same time and nearly every time they do, motorists break the first only to get stuck on the 2nd.
    Drives me mad!

Someone really should do something about those bloody cyclists:

https://streamable.com/k907q

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

No it's the killing and maiming motorists that should be shot

All they seem to do is kill, kill, kill and maim

McCrack wrote: »
    No it's the killing and maiming motorists that should be shot

All they seem to do is kill, kill, kill and maim

Well, shooting would be a little harsh, but maybe some reasonable prospect of getting caught and fined when they break lights or break the speed limit would be nice.

And you've got the balance wrong there at the end - actually more maiming then killing, so maybe try it the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It’s not just red lights motorists don’t stop for.

Road blocked off for half marathon, sure I’ll just drive through slowly pushing this man out of my way.

https://streamable.com/f2p4v

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

amcalester wrote: »

Road blocked off for half marathon, sure I’ll just drive through slowly pushing this man out of my way.

https://streamable.com/f2p4v

That lady would benefit greatly from being in the marathon instead of in her car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

amcalester wrote:

amcalester wrote:

B*tch

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Zipppy wrote: »
    B*tch

Cut that out -- it's pointless and doesn't add anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Good to see something finally being done.
    Another type of red light running that has become rampant is motorists deliberately taking a turn through an active pedestrian crossing at junctions where no left turn is permitted. In rush hour it happens nearly every sequence at the Annesley Place junction with North Strand Rd in Dublin 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

1,620 traffic lights in Dublin according to the article and we will have cameras at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Interesting a rather quick reversal of a decision to not operate any more cameras. Im sure Transdev put them under pressure after the recent bus collision (Queen St).

Think they said they had no plans a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

I've read this same announcement that they are to deploy red light cameras at these locations before in 2008, '15 & now.
    And each time shortly after there was a high-profile collision with a tram - which there has just been.
    I won't be holding my breath to see these installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

monument wrote: »
    Cut that out -- it's pointless and doesn't add anything.

Yes apologies that was out of order.

Sorry, Zip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I follow busconnects on twitter and in response to a question they said that they are waiting for legislation to be brought in so that they can start installing and operating these cameras themselves so that gardai won't be involved in the enforcement of them. Once that comes in we should see lots of them installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Good to see something finally being done.
    Another type of red light running that has become rampant is motorists deliberately taking a turn through an active pedestrian crossing at junctions where no left turn is permitted. In rush hour it happens nearly every sequence at the Annesley Place junction with North Strand Rd in Dublin 1.

Yes nice to see something being done however it would seem to account for only 54% of the present camera activations, hopefully they do something to push it nearer to 100%.
    More than 700 prosecutions were brought. Several hundred were not pursued because they were unidentifiable cyclists, the camera images were obscured or the vehicle registration was not visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The risk of being caught on camera will be a deterrent, especially after some well publicised prosecutions. You don't need cameras at every junction; if motorists aren't sure, most won't take a chance. (The drink driving thing works in the same way.)

But we will need more than three to get the message out to motorists.

Cyclists are a seperate matter; but I won't get started on that.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    The risk of being caught on camera will be a deterrent, especially after some well publicised prosecutions. You don't need cameras at every junction; if motorists aren't sure, most won't take a chance. (The drink driving thing works in the same way.)

But we will need more than three to get the message out to motorists.

Cyclists are a seperate matter; but I won't get started on that.

But thats the issue here, they have publicised it, if they want to publicise it, they sould have just said they are installing traffic light cameras at a number of junctions around Dublin and they will be operational from the 1st of May or whenever. For about a month, you should see a drop in numbers until people figure out the junctions that have them, by which time the cost of them will have been covered and you can roll them out everywhere. The speed cameras have the same issue. i remember the Garda commissioner going in front of the Oireachtas and saying we clearly don't speed as much as we thought as the speed vans are getting far lower rates of speeding than preliminary investigations indicated. That is BS and we all know it. People know their location, many know the pattern of their shifts at this time and there are tons of FB pages saying when they are there. This is why speeding is getting worse as people are learning where they can get away with it. Average speed cameras would have made more sense and hopefully these cameras can be updated if they are rolled out further to include average speed calculators.

Advertisement