Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 State of Origin - Game 2 Sun.,June 24th,10 am,Sky Sports Action

• 03-06-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

Not long to go now before the first game of this year's State of Origin series between New South Wales and Queensland. June 6th - at 11 am in this part of the world - is the date to pencil into your diaries.

Queensland will have to cope with the departures of Smith, Cronk and Thurston, while the Blues have plenty of fresh faces under the helm of new coach Brad Fittler.

Who do we think will take the series? Teams:
    New South Wales team

1 Tedesco
    2 T Trbojevic
    3 Mitchell
    4 Roberts
    5 Addo-Carr
    6 Maloney
    7 Cleary
    8 Klemmer
    9 Cook
    10 Campbell-Gillard
    11 Cordner
    12 Frizell
    13 de Belin

14 Vaughan (Interchanges)
    15 Trbojevic
    16 Crichton
    17 Peachey

18 T Sims (Reserves)
    19 N Cotric
    Queensland Team

1 Billy Slater
    2 Valentine Holmes
    3 Greg Inglis
    4 Will Chambers
    5 Dane Gagai
    6 Cameron Munster
    7 Ben Hunt
    8 Dylan Napa
    9 Andrew McCullough
    10 Jarrod Wallace
    11 Gavin Cooper
    12 Felise Kaufusi
    13 Josh McGuire

14 Michael Morgan (Interchanges)
    15 Josh Papalii
    16 Coen Hess
    17 Jai Arrow

I really like the backs in the NSW line-up and I'm excited to see what they can do offensively. I'll say the Blues to win the opening game by 8.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

NSW very strong favourites this year, could even be a whitewash, but I never underestimate their ability to muck it up. Hopefully QLD make more of a series of it than the bookies think.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Slater's been ruled out. Queensland have some shuffling to do. Who do they do with? Boyd, Ponga, Morgan maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Media seem to be suggesting Ponga will take his place, which I hope is the case as he's been very exciting this season.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Ponga has been exceptional this season, arguably the most influential player for their respective team this year. For me it's a no-brainer to start him now that Billy is out. Best time to debut him considering the Blues have 11 debutantes this year.

Very excited for Origin this year, with all the changes and some legends retiring it feels like a reboot of the series, hopefully the Blues luck will change but can't help but feel that Queensland are being underestimated again by NSW, especially in the media and amongst former players.

Been watching some old Origin games on Fox League to get in the mood, currently watching 2003 game in Suncorp, can't wait for Game 1 tomorrow! Up the Blues!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Good game. Some very big hits. Will be interesting to see how QLD come back.

• Advertisement

Was a good game, QLD not totally blown away, so hopefully they'll make a decent go of it in game 2.

Good win for NSW but they will have to step it up again for game 2. Tedesco, Trbojevic and Cleary were good but Maloney was a bit hit and miss. Queensland will come back harder for game 2, looking fowrard to it. Interesting to see how a Sunday game will go.

Good start to the series. Plenty of dramatic moments. Thought Tedesco was excellent. Latrell Mitchell is getting better all the time too. Felt sorry for Inglis being on the losing side as I thought he did well.

I want to see Ponga involved in the next one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

How come the second game is on a Sunday?

How come the second game is on a Sunday?

Think it's just the NRL trying something different.

• Advertisement

Think it's just the NRL trying something different.
    I think also it's the appease the clubs who've been complaining for years now about the Wed games. State of origin is the top 3 watched programmes annually on Aussie tv. If this Sunday game doesnt work ch 9 will want to go straight back to Wednesdays. They'll never keep everyone happy.

Game 2

Here are the squads:
    New South Wales squad: Josh Addo-Carr, Nathan Cleary, Damien Cook, Boyd Cordner, Angus Crichton, Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell, Ryan James, Luke Keary, David Klemmer, James Maloney, Latrell Mitchell, Tyrone Peachey, Matt Prior, James Roberts, Tariq Sims, James Tedesco, Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic, Paul Vaughan.
    Queensland squad: Jai Arrow, Will Chambers, Gavin Cooper, Dane Gagai, Tim Glasby, Coen Hess, Valentine Holmes, Ben Hunt, Greg Inglis, Felise Kaufusi, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Cameron Munster, Dylan Napa, Josh Papalii, Kalyn Ponga, Billy Slater, Jarrod Wallace.

Bookies have this as a cake walk for NSW, hopefully they're wrong, it'd be great to keep the series alive for the final game.

Game 2

Here are the squads:

Bookies have this as a cake walk for NSW, hopefully they're wrong, it'd be great to keep the series alive for the final game.

Backed QL in the first and on the handicap so will probably stick with them. It was looking good for the first 45 minutes at least in the first game!

First half was enjoyable. 12-10 to the Blues as it stands.

Update: 18-10 now as Mitchell's try is followed up by Moloney's kick. Opportunity came from a great hit by Jack de Belin.

Try for Chambers! Game on!

Ponga is magic! Shame he couldn't go all the way.

10 in the bin for Roberts. Now or never for Queensland heading into the final 12 minutes.

All over! It's the year of the Blues. 18-14 Final Score. Great contest. Blues worthy winners and showed a lot of heart in the end.

Final game is on a Wednesday as usual I assume

Final game is on a Wednesday as usual I assume

Yep, 11th July 8pm in 'straya

I hope it goes back to being more even now even though I support NSW. I remember reading a stat before that Queensland "dynasty" started and the stats were amazing. All the numbers were so close, series won, games won even if you added up the total for and against there was only a few points in it and that's what really grabbed my interest and I started going regularly to games in Sydney and it was so to and fro. After a good soccer match nothing I've been to beats the atmosphere of an origin game especially in Brisbane.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Yep, 11th July 8pm in 'straya

6pm if you live in the civilised part :D

Queensland will not want to lose 3-0, that would be the ultimate embarrassment, I actually expect game 3 to be the best one of this series, which means we're in for a cracker!

Advertisement