Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maamturks 2018

Options
  • 17-01-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭

So, anyone planning on doing it? Despite me swearing blind I wouldn't do it again, I've decided to go for it for the third time.

They've made a small changes to the setup in as much as the earliest start is an hour later at 6am, not really sure why. It means starting in daylight rather than in the dark, which was always one of the highlights for me, seeing the trail of headtorches snaking up Corcog in the dark at 5am.

However, they've kept the cutoff times at the lake and the col of despondency the same, so that puts extra pressure on the participants. Not much of a problem on a nice day like last year, but I can imagine a lot of pushback on the day if weather conditions mean more than a small number of people don't make it to the CoD in time.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Alun wrote: »
    So, anyone planning on doing it? Despite me swearing blind I wouldn't do it again, I've decided to go for it for the third time.

They've made a small changes to the setup in as much as the earliest start is an hour later at 6am, not really sure why. It means starting in daylight rather than in the dark, which was always one of the highlights for me, seeing the trail of headtorches snaking up Corcog in the dark at 5am.

However, they've kept the cutoff times at the lake and the col of despondency the same, so that puts extra pressure on the participants. Not much of a problem on a nice day like last year, but I can imagine a lot of pushback on the day if weather conditions mean more than a small number of people don't make it to the CoD in time.

Ye would love to give it a go. Will try get registered on the 22nd.

Registration or no registration I'll travel up. Accommodation is booked anyway.

If sure you could still head off at 05:00, you may not have the card but you'll have your number from the night before if you go to Keane's. You won't have any 'traffic' problems on the way up Corcóg, that way :-)

11 hours to get to the Col is very reasonable, as your average pace would just need to be 2kmph. That's well within the reach of the demographic that it's aimed at.

If a fella didn't make that time and the weather was good I'd still go up-and-over as opposed to the exit via Tullyconnor and the Western Way. The organisers would have no responsibility to you but that exit is a long lonely walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm in :D

I'm in :D

Nice one, same :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I'm in. I think this is number 7. All we have to do now if pray to the weather gods :)

• Advertisement

Apparently it was sold out this year in under a minute :eek:

Hopefully the weather gods will be as kind as last year!

Apparently it was sold out this year in under a minute :eek:

I was 'watching' proceedings from my FB timeline. Yes, some folk were put on the waiting list within a minute but I know 4 or 5 lads that registered after 40 minutes.

Explanation?? Multiple log ins by individuals, has to be, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

I was 'watching' proceedings from my FB timeline. Yes, some folk were put on the waiting list within a minute but I know 4 or 5 lads that registered after 40 minutes.

Explanation?? Multiple log ins by individuals, has to be, right?

Happened to me before with eventbrite when someone holds tickets but then doesn't buy them before the 30mins or whatever limit you have expires. The tickets then get released to the event page rather than a waiting list, which would be more desirable. Eventbrite wouldn't be my first choice for an event like this, but I suppose because this is a non-profit volunteer event eventbrite is easy enough to work with.

Less than a week to go! Starting to watch the weather forecast like a hawk now, hopefully this horrible cold, wet weather we've been having lately will give us a miss on the day.

Good luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Less than a week to go! Starting to watch the weather forecast like a hawk now, hopefully this horrible cold, wet weather we've been having lately will give us a miss on the day.

Good luck everyone!

So how did it go? I was in Sligo on Saturday last and it was a half reasonable day, though could see some cloud down on the hills.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    So how did it go? I was in Sligo on Saturday last and it was a half reasonable day, though could see some cloud down on the hills.
    Very well! Finished in 12 hours 23 mins, which is 50 mins faster than last year.

The day started off a bit misty on top but cleared later in the morning. Temperatures varied between about 8 deg on top and 12-13 down low, and the wind was a bit gusty in some places later in the afternoon, but at least it remained dry all day.

Great day for it and once the fog cleared it made you appreciate the views all the more.

We arrived late to registration Saturday morning, hoping that the queues would be gone, but after waiting 20/25 minutes, we decided to head off at 6:40 without route cards. We visited every checkpoint and had a brief chat with the volunteers on duty anyway and they had a record of us at the finish line and still gave us the finishers certs which was kind of them.

It's a shame about registration as I'm sure some people weren't able to start until well after 7.

I know two people who turned up just after 7.00 and there was nobody at the start at all. They'd pre-registered so had the tokens and just presented them at each checkpoint.

We got to the start just before 6.00 as the coach arrived and everybody piled out in one go trying to get going ASP, no queuing, just a rugby scrum around the car where the two girls were handing out the starting cards. Nobody from the organisers attempted to bring any order to the chaos either which was disappointing.

All went pretty well apart from locating CP6 which seems to be in a slightly different place every year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Markosee

Note that:

- Previous early start in the dark meant that that line of torches was often going all sorts of crazy ways up Corcog which weren't necessarily the best route - in darkness, folks just tend to follow torches.

- The big queue in the morning was mainly due to the fact that many walkers didn't avail of the pre-registration the previous evening, wanting to avoid the queue there - thereby having to queue in the morning instead.

- Checkpoint 6 on Binn Bhan was correctly located at the given 6-figure grid reference - which gives an area of 100m x 100m within which to position the checkpoint. This is on a ridge rather than a peak, but it was still located close to the highest point for maximum visibility. Bear in mind that volunteers are not always on the same checkpoint, and all of this year's were new to this one. All walkers found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Markosee

Note that:

- Previous early start in the dark meant that that line of torches was often going all sorts of crazy ways up Corcog which weren't necessarily the best route - in darkness, folks just tend to follow torches.

- The big queue in the morning was mainly due to the fact that many walkers didn't avail of the pre-registration the previous evening, wanting to avoid the queue there - thereby having to queue in the morning instead.

- Checkpoint 6 on Binn Bhan was correctly located at the given 6-figure grid reference - which gives an area of 100m x 100m within which to position the checkpoint. This is on a ridge rather than a peak, but it was still located close to the highest point for maximum visibility. Bear in mind that volunteers are not always on the same checkpoint, and all of this year's were new to this one. All walkers found it.

Cheers Markosee, just to say, massive well done on another excellently organised Turks challenge. It's come a long way since, not too long ago, we used to send our entries into the club via the postal system with a cheque or postal order.

We didn't mind heading on without a route card as long as the club didn't mind us being out there without numbers though we had registered online so were happy that the club at least got our entry fee.

In adventure racing and orienteering we have to find tiny little flags so locating large bright tents doesn't pose as much of a problem :)

So who registered for this year? :)

Not me, I'm off to the Arctic instead :)

Going to try and make it 7 in a row. Looks like those tickets went pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I’m going to attempt it for the first time this year. Is there an average time that most complete the hike?

• Advertisement

TheBody wrote: »
    I’m going to attempt it for the first time this year. Is there an average time that most complete the hike?

Not sure on average, but took me over 12 hours last year. That was my first time, and didn't feel like I was hanging around.

I did it in 12 hours the first two times, and 11.5 hours last year. Would have been a good bit faster if not for me getting some bad leg cramps towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Not sure on average, but took me over 12 hours last year. That was my first time, and didn't feel like I was hanging around.

Thanks for that. I think I might try and recci a bit of the route before the big day.

TheBody wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I think I might try and recci a bit of the route before the big day.

Ye well worth it if you have the opportunity.

As it's a challenge, peoples times are never published so it's difficult to say what the average time it takes to do it is. The average time would generally be dependent on conditions too, fog, rain and wind will slow everyone down.

It's worth noting though that you can start any time between 6am and 7am and there are two cut-off points. The first is at Loch Mhám Ochóige at 14:00 and the second is at the Col of Despondency at 17:00.

If you leave at 6am then you have 8 hours to get to the lake and three more hours to get from the lake to the Col. It probably takes an average walker two to three hours to get from the Col to Leenane so if you're just making the cut-offs, it may take you 13 or 14 hours.

They strictly enforce the cut-offs so keep them in the back of your mind when you do a recce (so you have an idea of how long each section would take you). Most people, when doing a recce, break it into sections, Corcog to the Holy Well, the Holy Well to the Lake and the Lake to Leenane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I know the scenery is stunning but is it actually pleasurable walking for that long? I've done the start of it but remember doing the Glencroghan horseshoe nearby, about 7 or 8 hours and being pretty glum about three hours in when I realised how much was left. That was alone though.

What is the fastest time does anyone know? I heard there's a local farmer who does it every year and wins?

a148pro wrote: »
    I know the scenery is stunning but is it actually pleasurable walking for that long? I've done the start of it but remember doing the Glencroghan horseshoe nearby, about 7 or 8 hours and being pretty glum about three hours in when I realised how much was left. That was alone though.

I guess it depends on if you like your own company or if you get pleasure from being on the hills for longs days. There are lots of people who head out at the weekend and spend long days on the hills and they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't enjoy it.

Others prefer shorter quicker hikes, each to their own.
    What is the fastest time does anyone know? I heard there's a local farmer who does it every year and wins?

The legendary Miko :) As it's a challenge walk, nobody wins it but most would know who would have been first home and Miko would have been the first person home on the Turks for many many years. Someone here might correct me but I think he used to tip around it in 5 or 5.5 hours.

As the challenge walk has begun to attract fell runners over the past few years, it's been shaken up a bit. I believe a guy from Tipperary knocked it out in under 5 hours last year or the year before.

What is the fastest time does anyone know?

It depends on what you're wearing on your feet and carrying on your person/back.

As a hill-walking challenge (say 1.6kg boots and 8kgs on your person/back) I'd say you'd be doing well to walk it in under 8hrs. Pretty much non-stop and no navigational errors.

How's the weather looking, if anyone is in the vicinity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

completely clear right now :)
    rain forecast overnight but clearing about 5-6am

Advertisement