Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

CGI_3 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it would work fine for your application. You just turn on the zone, and you'll have lets call them 8 x shortcuts to differing length's of boost.

I don't have a four channel to check this on though, and won't be getting one due to this limitation...

Let us know how you fare out.

Thanks man. I've just ordered it, the Sonoff TH10 took about 6 weeks to get delivered so it'll be a while before I report back.
    Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CGI_3 wrote:
    I don't have a four channel to check this on though, and won't be getting one due to this limitation...

I've one on the way

It mounts in a board but TBH it appears to be "logically" 4 independent units.

Or am I wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Stoner wrote: »
    I've one on the way

It mounts in a board but TBH it appears to be "logically" 4 independent units.

Or am I wrong

Check post 107 by tweek84. That's the lad that said the 4 channel only had 8 slots, and he was having to resort to buying individuals instead. Seems to know what he's talking about.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CGI_3 wrote:
    Check post 107 by tweek84. That's the lad that said the 4 channel only had 8 slots, and he was having to resort to buying individuals instead. Seems to know what he's talking about.

Yes. I agree where I'm coming from is that there's no advantage apart from it being din rail mounted. There's no hard group or block switching etc in the app you just add 4 new units

Limitations on the timers is a noted disadvantage

Update

So eWelink is showing an IFTTT service
    I added my details, all good

https://ifttt.com/ewelink

There are 8 channel options
    1-4 channel sockets
    1-4 channel switches

All on or off

Not getting triggers for the 16 amp sensors

My standard SONOFF units are not showing up. Maybe it's early days

I'm picking up a switch soon (thanks to a boardsie) I'll check if it appears

But that
    Amazon Echo
    Google Home
    Google Nest

And now IFTTT

This is an exceptionally placed device. IFTTT opens up all sorts of integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Just as an FYI for anyone who is impatient like me be wary of the costs!

Ordered a Sonoff T1 2 gang from China which was $18, DHL shipping was $24.41 and customs was €22.80 for a lovely total of €59.57

On the plus side, from ordering it to it being in my hand was 3 days

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

viperlogic wrote: »
    Just as an FYI for anyone who is impatient like me be wary of the costs!

Ordered a Sonoff T1 2 gang from China which was $18, DHL shipping was $24.41 and customs was €22.80 for a lovely total of €59.57

On the plus side, from ordering it to it being in my hand was 3 days

Note, if you had gotten shipped by slow post, thus probably free shipping, it would have come in under the customs threshold of €22.

Obviously the downside is the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Stoner wrote: »
    Update

So eWelink is showing an IFTTT service
    I added my details, all good

https://ifttt.com/ewelink

There are 8 channel options
    1-4 channel sockets
    1-4 channel switches

All on or off

Not getting triggers for the 16 amp sensors

My standard SONOFF units are not showing up. Maybe it's early days

I'm picking up a switch soon (thanks to a boardsie) I'll check if it appears

But that
    Amazon Echo
    Google Home
    Google Nest

And now IFTTT

This is an exceptionally placed device. IFTTT opens up all sorts of integration.

I take it yours are 'stock' rather than flashed up with tasmota or espeasy or something?

Wonder how hard it'd be to create an ifttt service, so tasmota could avail of it?Although it'd be probably possible to point tasmota at thingspeak mqtt and use ifttt to drive that, albeit somewhat roundabout way

kenmc wrote:
    I take it yours are 'stock' rather than flashed up with tasmota or espeasy or something?

Correct.

This time around I'm not looking at hacking gear.

I end up as technical support!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I have Alexa controlling the SonOff light switches, but is it possible to control them via Harmony remote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Has anyone every used these light switches to turn on central heating. looking at my burner it runs at 115 w. I have a sonoff basic unit attached now but the touch switch would fit nicely where my timer was.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

lochdara wrote:
    Has anyone every used these light switches to turn on central heating. looking at my burner it runs at 115 w. I have a sonoff basic unit attached now but the touch switch would fit nicely where my timer was.

It would work well, I assume you've a 5 amp fused spur before it ?

No I dont. my timer had a 5amp relay but i do have a switched isolator beside it. I can easily switch for a fused spur.. Plumber is coming tomorrow for servicing. I'll run the idea by him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

You must have interlocking enabled, disable that and you should be able to control the individual channels without restriction.

air wrote: »
    You must have interlocking enabled, disable that and you should be able to control the individual channels without restriction.

Thanks Air. I just found that after I posted.

Its working great so far, the only thing is the channel name in the timer section only gives the channel number, it doesn't show you it as the new name that I assigned.

Does anybody know if the r1-r4 buttons are programmable? Would be great to assign a "boost" 1hr function to these.

Anyone got any real world uses or examples for IFTTT that work with the SONOFF?

I have 4 x S20 sockets, (on the central heating), and a basic sonoff on the xmas lights.

Just wondering if there was something like say:

Outside ambient temp is below say x degrees, turn on the downstairs heating in the middle of the night for an hour. AS an EXAMPLE! (I know I should have thermostats!)

Yes iFTTT will do exactly as you describe and it's easy to set up, however the lack of any conditional logic is fairly limiting in it, you're only able to trigger an output state based on a single event.
    What I have found it useful for though is for additional timers on units where I'm already using the maximum number of them on a device.
    Incidentally the Sonoff network appears to be offline at present.

Thanks,

Yes, the network seems to be down. Noticed it was down yesterday also for a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Would like to have a smart switch / timer on my immersion tank in the hot press. would of these sonoff units works and which one? Or is there an option to use a smart plug to to do this? i.e. remove the current timer switch and replace with a wall socket and smart plug?

• Advertisement

My preferred solution for immersions is a TH16 together with an external 25A normally open contactor. In theory the TH16 is fully rated for the current but a 3kW immersion is close to the limit and the contactor gives me better peace of mind.
    The wall plug would be underrated for the job, don't go down that route.
    If you buy the temperature sensor as well you can stick it on the tank and read your tank temperature remotely and or maintain a specific setpoint.
    One weakness in the firmware at present is that if it's in auto temperature mode then it's always on - no schedules. For now the easiest workaround would be to simply put a second Sonoff basic in series.
    If you don't have a secondary source of heat for your immersion then you may not have any interest in the extra functionality of the TH16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

air wrote: »
    My preferred solution for immersions is a TH16 together with an external 25A normally open contactor. In theory the TH16 is fully rated for the current but a 3kW immersion is close to the limit and the contactor gives me better peace of mind.
    The wall plug would be underrated for the job, don't go down that route.
    If you buy the temperature sensor as well you can stick it on the tank and read your tank temperature remotely and or maintain a specific setpoint.
    One weakness in the firmware at present is that if it's in auto temperature mode then it's always on - no schedules. For now the easiest workaround would be to simply put a second Sonoff basic in series.
    If you don't have a secondary source of heat for your immersion then you may not have any interest in the extra functionality of the TH16.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have added a few items to my shopping cart. Can you confirm that These are the correct ones?
    I just want to have it to have a schedule for it. The immersion already has a thermostat in it.
    The immersion tank is also heated by the central heating which I have a Netatmo thermostat on. Really the immersion is for summer months when the central heating would not be on.

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have added a few items to my shopping cart. Can you confirm that These are the correct ones?
    I just want to have it to have a schedule for it. The immersion already has a thermostat in it.
    The immersion tank is also heated by the central heating which I have a Netatmo thermostat on.

Cheers.

This looks ok. But what i wanted was to put a TH16 in the bedroom and if it falls below a temp activate the heating, You can create a scene with most devices except this unless i do something wrong.

Also the server down issue, my light switch is offline but my heating works from app and amazon echo.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It takes a good 4-5 weeks for delivery.

The immersion tank is also heated by the central heating which I have a Netatmo thermostat on. Really the immersion is for summer months when the central heating would not be on.

Cheers.
    The shopping list looks fine but to be honest if you only want a time schedule you only need a single basic sonoff (plus a contactor by my own preference).

lochdara wrote: »
    This looks ok. But what i wanted was to put a TH16 in the bedroom and if it falls below a temp activate the heating, You can create a scene with most devices except this unless i do something wrong.

Also the server down issue, my light switch is offline but my heating works from app and amazon echo.

Have you had a look at the temperature humidity sensor and whether you could use that to trigger the heating?

I ordered a temp/humidity but i got the temp sensor. my next order will be a temp/humidity for test. I;ll bulk order to reduce shipping time.
    I also got lightswitch working.. Loose connection found.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Planning to swap my light switches for SonOffs, but a few questions:

- As it stands, these don't have dimmer functionality, right?
    - for stairs, where a single bulb is controlled by two switches (one in the hall, one in the landing), can I do a straight swap?
    - bathroom fans are also wired into my light switches -- can I also wire these into the SonOffs?

• Advertisement

Planning to swap my light switches for SonOffs, but a few questions:

- As it stands, these don't have dimmer functionality, right?
    - for stairs, where a single bulb is controlled by two switches (one in the hall, one in the landing), can I do a straight swap?
    - bathroom fans are also wired into my light switches -- can I also wire these into the SonOffs?

all are straight swaps. you can get 1,2 or 3 gang. They need a neutral wire so take off one of your switches and see if you have neutral at the rear. in my case just a bunch of blue wires on a block connector.
    For the fan Id say its the same. As for dimmer i think you can get a jogger switch for this.. Not 100% sure.

Advertisement