Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

nephster wrote: »
    if you are looking for multiple zones, or you want to control hot water, this isn't for you.

But, if you have, say, a combi boiler (or don't care about warming up the water) and are OK with a single zone, it's ace.

If your home was built before 2006 and you live in Cork or Dublin, this is a better deal:
    https://www.energia.ie/energy-services/free-netatmo-with-every-gas-boiler-service-%E2%82%AC79

Boiler service + Netatmo + installation for €85. You don't have to be with Energia to get it.

We got this done last year - our apartment didn't have a thermostat so we no longer have to go in the hot press to boost the heating on - and have found it great. I can even turn on the heating using my Pebble smartwatch :)

How long does it take for Energia to get in touch usually? I filled out the details on 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

With the Energia deal, I'm a bit suspiciuous of one of the terms..
    In consideration of Energia (or its agent(s) or Subcontractor(s)) supplying and installing the
    Netatmo Thermostat, Energia is entitled to any energy credits attributable to the installation
    of the Netatmo Thermostat at your Premises under SEAI’s Better Energy Scheme or any
    replacement or similar scheme pursuant to Directive 2012/27/EU of the European Parliament
    and of the Council of 25 October 2012 on energy efficiency

Does that mean that should you decide to upgrade your heating in the future, you will not be able to avail of a second grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

JDxtra wrote: »
    With the Energia deal, I'm a bit suspiciuous of one of the terms..
    In consideration of Energia (or its agent(s) or Subcontractor(s)) supplying and installing the
    Netatmo Thermostat, Energia is entitled to any energy credits attributable to the installation
    of the Netatmo Thermostat at your Premises under SEAI s Better Energy Scheme or any
    replacement or similar scheme pursuant to Directive 2012/27/EU of the European Parliament
    and of the Council of 25 October 2012 on energy efficiency

Does that mean that should you decide to upgrade your heating in the future, you will not be able to avail of a second grant?
    It means that you can't avail of the grant for upgrading the heating system controls as you've already done it. Energia are providing the Netatmo and applying for the grant on your behalf.

It's a common practise. Companies take on this role as a sort of one-stop shop and arrange the upgrade of your energy system/insulation etc and claim the CO2 credits or grants or both and you pay them the costs of the work. They make things simple and streamlined for you and in return they get the Green Credits for saving x Kg of CO2. These can be sold (I think they still can) or traded to companies who are in danger of breaching their CO2 limits and need more credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Pique wrote: »
    It means that you can't avail of the grant for upgrading the heating system controls as you've already done it. Energia are providing the Netatmo and applying for the grant on your behalf.

It's a common practise. Companies take on this role as a sort of one-stop shop and arrange the upgrade of your energy system/insulation etc and claim the CO2 credits or grants or both and you pay them the costs of the work. They make things simple and streamlined for you and in return they get the Green Credits for saving x Kg of CO2. These can be sold (I think they still can) or traded to companies who are in danger of breaching their CO2 limits and need more credits.

Would it not make more sense for people who need more than one netatmo for their setup to claim the credit from SEAI themselves so?

Actually yes it would, but there are hoops to jump through, and if you are just looking for the Netatmo, then Energia is a handy route.
    I see the SEAI are offering up to 600 for upgrading heating controls. What it doesn't say is if you can do this in stages (ie, claim 100 at a time over 6 phases).
    You also need a BER assessment (for which there is a grant of 50) before any grant is paid. The BER grant is only paid once, so doing it in phases would be more expensive.
    Finally, the work has to be done by a registered installer (who you also have to pay).

All in all, if you're just getting the Netatmo to replace the old style timer, I reckon Energia is the easiest way to go.

I have zero affiliation with any company involved, fwiw.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Anyone know if these work with oil boilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

So if I buy 2 of these to replace my existing wired Thermostats can I avail of the SEAI grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

sweetie wrote: »
    How long does it take for Energia to get in touch usually? I filled out the details on 26th.

I filled mine out on the 28th and still no word also. Has anyone asked for contact and got it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

pilly wrote: »
    Anyone know if these work with oil boilers?

Yeah, they should. If you go to their web page they have a compatibility questionaire that should help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I filled mine out on the 28th and still no word also. Has anyone asked for contact and got it?

They rang me after this morning and scheduled (service and check if i'm suited) for thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Winterlong wrote: »
    Yeah, they should. If you go to their web page they have a compatibility questionaire that should help you.

Ah it looks quite complicated to me now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

pilly wrote: »
    Ah it looks quite complicated to me now. :)
    If you're any ways comfortable (and safe!) with electricity, this is easy to fit. For the boiler it basically just works like an on/off switch.

If you can't wire a plug or socket, then the DIY install isn't for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

By the way, I got an Amazon Echo and the Netatmo works perfectly with it!
    I have two thermostats ('Hall' and 'Living Room').

"Alexa, set temperature to 21 degrees"
    She replies "Which thermostat?"
    "Living room"
    Almost instantly the stat changes to 21 degrees.
    I've the stats set up that after a manual change they fall back to normal programme after 1 hour. This is configurable within the smartphone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Zilog wrote: »
    By the way, I got an Amazon Echo and the Netatmo works perfectly with it!
    I have two thermostats ('Hall' and 'Living Room').

"Alexa, set temperature to 21 degrees"
    She replies "Which thermostat?"
    "Living room"
    Almost instantly the stat changes to 21 degrees.
    I've the stats set up that after a manual change they fall back to normal programme after 1 hour. This is configurable within the smartphone app.

Excellent, looking forward to receiving my 2 Netatmo's! And the Echo Dot in a few weeks!

Also just grabbed a Harmony Hub and Remote to enable voice features for turning on the TV etc.

Next I have to grab the Philips Hue lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deiselad

Hi @ThisRegard, any chance you could explain how you replaced the timer switch with the relay? I have the exact same switch, but I'm struggling to figure out how to wire the relay component in place of the timer switch. On my timer switch it has Live (Brown) and Neutral (Blue) going in from the mains to the switch and out of the switch, to the boiler. Can't figure out how to wire in the relay?
    Thanks in advance for any input!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone not get contacted by them? I registered last week and have heard nothing yet. Called them earlier and they couldn't find any record of me.

Wouldn't take my details, said it has t be through the website (which I'd already done and didn't work apparently)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

reni10 wrote: »
    Also just grabbed a Harmony Hub and Remote to enable voice features for turning on the TV etc.

FYI, The Harmony Hub only has very limited support with the Amazon Echo at the moment. Only Turn TV/Activity On and OFF. No mute/play/pause/volume up/down, etc.

Rumour has it that official support is being worked on at the moment, but no sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flyandrain

tallpaul wrote: »
    Multizone is likely to be rolled out here by Bord Gais with the Hive Thermostat system that they sell. It was developed by British Gas and also links into lights, security and plugs. Multizone is already available in the UK and should be coming here soon enough.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/hive-active-heating.html

https://www.hivehome.ie/how-to-buy

Hive Active Heating™ is available in Ireland for €299, including kit and installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone not get contacted by them? I registered last week and have heard nothing yet. Called them earlier and they couldn't find any record of me.

Wouldn't take my details, said it has t be through the website (which I'd already done and didn't work apparently)

Same here, registered last week, no word yet. Do you redo the registration when they said they had no record of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

deiselad wrote: »
    Hi @ThisRegard, any chance you could explain how you replaced the timer switch with the relay? I have the exact same switch, but I'm struggling to figure out how to wire the relay component in place of the timer switch. On my timer switch it has Live (Brown) and Neutral (Blue) going in from the mains to the switch and out of the switch, to the boiler. Can't figure out how to wire in the relay?

Being honest I ended up getting it done by Energia as we needed a boiler service anyway. But I did check it out afterwards and it looked to be a straightforward swap for the analogue timer to the relay. I have the relay fastened down now with super strength adhesive as it kept popping off so I can't actually remove it to check, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

flyandrain wrote: »
    Hive Active Heating™ is available in Ireland for €299, including kit and installation.

Thanks but I know that. The multi-zone functionality is not yet according to the rep I spoke to on the phone. He advised that it was 'coming soon and not to buy this product if this function is important to you'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

deiselad wrote: »

I have not received mine yet to advise, but I know that the relay will take the neutral and live input and will have a live output. Which is what I have on my timer (that I plan to replace with the relay) .
    I am not sure where the neutral output goes without seeing the connections.
    Perhaps take a photo and try posting here, or get on to the netamo helpdesk and they can advise you. I doubt your set up is too unusual and should be easy to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deiselad

@ThisRegards, thanks for the reply.

Is there anyone else that can help with my question?

How to Replace existing timer switch (Immermat) with Relay?

Existing Setup
    Live and Neutral into timer switch, and Live and Neutral out from timer switch. No existing thermostat.
    Power to Firebird oil boiler.

Sorry I can't post picture as I don't have access to do so!

Any help appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hive have also added light bulbs similar to the Philips hue to their range

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭bootser

For people out there self installing this kit, if your setup is like mine where the timer switch brings on the boiler(115w) and the circulating pump(45-65w) directly, you will be overloading the switch rating on the relay(120w)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Installed this today and was pretty straightforward once I checked the boiler's installation manual.

Only one gripe, after following the instructions and using the double sided pad to stick it to the wall, it turns out that I needed to connect the relay by USB to my laptop in order for it to connect to my wifi. Meant I had to take it off the wall and then once setup on the wifi I had to scrape off the remaining sticky stuff and find another sticky pad to use in place of the original. A simple note in the instructions would have saved me a little hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flyandrain

tallpaul wrote: »
    Hive Active Heating is available in Ireland for 299, including kit and installation.

Thanks but I know that. The multi-zone functionality is not yet according to the rep I spoke to on the phone. He advised that it was 'coming soon and not to buy this product if this function is important to you'.
    Thanks for telling me about that , I nearly place the order for that , because of mutilzone features:-

viking wrote:
    Only one gripe, after following the instructions and using the double sided pad to stick it to the wall, it turns out that I needed to connect the relay by USB to my laptop in order for it to connect to my wifi. Meant I had to take it off the wall and then once setup on the wifi I had to scrape off the remaining sticky stuff and find another sticky pad to use in place of the original. A simple note in the instructions would have saved me a little hassle.

Or a longer USB lead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Got a call today to organise the service. Annoyingly, the boiler service guy wouldn't install the netamo, he just confirms the boiler is compatible and the netamo install is done later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Got a call today to organise the service. Annoyingly, the boiler service guy wouldn't install the netamo, he just confirms the boiler is compatible and the netamo install is done later.

When did you register ? How long between you filling out the form & then calling you? I still haven't heard anything yet

Advertisement