Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

lord lucan wrote: »
    082's horn sounds more like a parp than the throaty horn we're more used too!
    Yep, she didn't have her unique turbo at this time either, that was after the overhaul and repaint. I work near Clontarf Road DART station and can hear the trains from where I work. I always know when 082 is on a Tara.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

"Probably mentioned here before but heres the current status of the Class.
    087-Withdrawn,Parts used for remainder of class,ready for scrap."
    Boards.ie

087 pictured in Inchicore showing the loco undergoing as a full body-shell overhaul
    current Today's Railways

as they would say in private Eye
    shurley shome mishtake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo checker

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Let me guess, you support the WRC, right?
    :) not interested in WRC WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIPS atall

i dont think 087 will be back she is spare parts only i reckon

any sightings of 084 ?

by the way drivers of the 071s are complainin about leaky cabs ,id say an umbrella would be required for each trip.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listen to the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Listen to the music.

Sweet,sweet music.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

The lovely sound of the 081.

I remember I used to go into Limerick station on Sunday evenings when a student 100000 years ago just to hear it.

Being not well up,what causes that big engine note rise as it comes to a halt?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

080's horn is almost two tone at one end at the moment.081 is a great goer!! Edit-Mayo Checker,yes some of the cabs are leaky around the window seals but no need for umbrella's just yet!!

cml387 wrote: »
    The lovely sound of the 081.

I remember I used to go into Limerick station on Sunday evenings when a student 100000 years ago just to hear it.

Being not well up,what causes that big engine note rise as it comes to a halt?

I might be wrong but I think the engine will automatically rev up to drive the air compressors, otherwise the brakes would run out of air and fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

082 is easily my favourite of the 071s and i might assume it is the favourite for others too.Just that sound............gorgeous

082 sounds no different than the rest of the 071s its all imagination. .all the same ..

Umbrellas on stand by if them CAB leaks get worse oscar:)

• Advertisement

082 sounds no different than the rest of the 071s its all imagination. .all the same ..

She definitely has a different tone,my vocabulary will struggle to describe it but it's very noticeable in the videos above.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

eejoynt wrote: »
    087 pictured in Inchicore showing the loco undergoing as a full body-shell overhaul

I am wondering whether it is actually their test bed for trying to resolve the leaky cab problems? It certainly doesn't looked dumped from the picture - it's in a shed.

Hungerford wrote: »
    I am wondering whether it is actually their test bed for trying to resolve the leaky cab problems? It certainly doesn't looked dumped from the picture - it's in a shed.

POOR 216 must not be that important anymore so in that case

082 sounds different without a doubt.There is no imagination or illusion about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

082 certainly does sound different-www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7wb546OSs. I noted 073 hauling the Ballina-Waterford timber this evening,nice to see "071 Class Hellfire" wrote on the dirt on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

POOR 216 must not be that important anymore so in that case

In fairness, CIE have a long and distinguished history of leaving stuff to rot outside. Generally, if something is in a shed, it means that they may want to use it again.

082 certainly does sound different-www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7wb546OSs.
    an 071 sounds the exact same as the next 1 when you hear them from distance you know for sure that its not a 201 before you see it that roarin sound can be heard for miles 082 is no different

an 071 sounds the exact same as the next 1 when you hear them from distance you know for sure that its not a 201 before you see it that roarin sound can be heard for miles 082 is no different

Have you heard 082 in notch 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

088 passed Milltown Bridge near Thurles with one wagon in tow on the up line this afternoon, must remember to take the camera when I walk the dog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

082 certainly does sound different-www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7wb546OSs.

082 is a beast ever since it's overhaul. You can hear the thing for miles off before it gets near you more so than another 071. 082 has a very different to any other 071 or 201. The 071s have a distant rumble while 082 has a roaring throaty sound from way off. It sounds like it's about to tear it's self apart when I hear late at night on the taras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I must be the only person here who doesn't actually like this class :P

To me they just like a bulked out 141 on steroids :pac:

082 is a beast ever since it's overhaul. You can hear the thing for miles off before it gets near you more so than another 071. 082 has a very different to any other 071 or 201. The 071s have a distant rumble while 082 has a roaring throaty sound from way off. It sounds like it's about to tear it's self apart when I hear late at night on the taras.

Lovely description of the sound of 082,a throaty roar.There is a unique sound to it compared to the other 071s which is clear as day especially in notch 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

QUOTE=Cookie_Monster;77006880]I must be the only person here who doesn't actually like this class :P

To me they just like a bulked out 141 on steroids :pac:[/QUOT

banned!

I must be the only person here who doesn't actually like this class :P

To me they just like a bulked out 141 on steroids :pac:

Karsini wrote: »
    Have you heard 082 in notch 8?
    yes and it sounds the same as the rest of the others i have heard .

take note
    082 is just an ordinary member of the 071 class

yes and it sounds the same as the rest of the others i have heard .

take note
    082 is just an ordinary member of the 071 class
    087:

082:

Honestly, you can't say that these sound the same.

anybody on IRN see the brill recent overhead view of inch

it is sad to see so many locos just left there to rot

With the mk3 coaches that can also be seen ......

IRN would want to get their act together and get more freight contracts on board and get them locos moving again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

IRN would want to get their act together and get more freight contracts on board and get them locos moving again..

Freight from where to where for whom? We're not exactly Germany or the UK, we have very little heavy industry or long distances to cover.

BTW here's the link to those photos http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/2514/Re-Inchicore-Works-from-above?page=-1#.TzrRprFmJbk. Anyone know what's the story with the 5-car 22000 in Inchicore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

there was murmurings of reopening Sligo to timber I think? With the increase in passenger services on both that line and Kildare-Waterford it would be challenging to find timetable slots for said service though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

East Wall looks a prime candidate for an arson attack that will take care of the MkIIIs - why on earth have they still got them lying around the place?

Advertisement