Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

I think I will just continue using the 30 when travelling from Dublin to Virginia. I know it only runs every 2 hours but at least it only takes 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Stood waiting in kells at the moment for the 9.55am been here since 9.40 (the old time just in case) and its still not here at 10.15am, not going to get to cavan for the 10.40 on the timetable i think. This service is useless. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

At last, a half six express seems to be from running from Busaras this week which is using the M3. It got into Navan in about one hour and 5 minutes this week, which was great.

In fact the longest part of the Jouney was from Town to blanch via the Navan road route. Still a bit of bee my bonnet about this element of the journey. Circa 22 people got on at Busaras, two at the matter, nobody in Phisborough, nobody in Cabra and two at ashtown, and 3 or 4 on the Blanch slip road. so if my math is right we could have used the port tunnel and it may have made the journey quicker for 87% of bus users.

That said it mighn't made a huge difference at that time of the evening, but would be interested in knowning how long the half five is taking to get to Blanch and if the port tunnel would be a quicker alternative at that of day??

Unfortunately wouldn't be able to make express buses all the time, so back the plan of getting rid of that detour through Clonee for the non express buses which appears to be inconvenniencing the all but a very small handful of commuters

At last, a half six express seems to be from running from Busaras this week which is using the M3. It got into Navan in about one hour and 5 minutes this week, which was great.

In fact the longest part of the Journey was from Town to blanch via the Navan road route. Still a bit of bee my bonnet about this element of the journey. Circa 22 people got on at Busaras, two at the matter, nobody in Phisborough, nobody in Cabra and two at ashtown, and 3 or 4 on the Blanch slip road. so if my math is right we could have used the port tunnel and it may have made the journey quicker for 87% of bus users.

That said it mightn’t made a huge difference at that time of the evening, but would be interested in knowing how long the half five is taking to get to Blanch and if the port tunnel would be a quicker alternative at that of day??

Unfortunately wouldn't be able to make express buses all the time, so back the plan of getting rid of that detour through Clonee for the non express buses which appears to be inconveniencing the all but a very small handful of commuters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The bus I was on this morning had wifi.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The bus I was on this morning had wifi.

Excellent stuff! and what hopefully is going to be a bigger improvement, was chatting to one of the inspectors last week, and he told me that the powers that be infromed him that they are going to cut the Clonee detour to serve Bracetown to 4 or so services a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

The bus is getting later and later every evening into Dunshaughlin. Yesterday it was 7.15 (don't think I have seen anything like that since the snow last year) and at least 6.45 every other day. It is turning into a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I do find it somewhat ironic that when the 109 timetable changed in May there were plenty of complaints here about it going via the airport and not serving the N3 and now there is nothing but complaints about it serving the N3 again.

It does go to show that it is impossible to please everyone.

Personally I would have thought that the Bracetown stops only need perhaps two buses in either direction in the morning and evening peaks and perhaps one in each direction at lunchtime to serve the business park and everything else could use the N3 between Blanchardstown and Pace.

What bus is it that you are getting Tara and whats the crux of the hold up. Assumedly the vast majority of the time is spent getting to Blanchardstown?

Not sure in relation to Lxflyers comments re the May changes, whether they pertain to the 109 or 109A service.

What I will say is that Bus Eireann shouldn't be aiming "to please everyone", Its that mentality that has buses going to Clonee constantly to service what are in essence ghost stops. what they should be looking for is efficiency; after all they are running a business. Using the Cabra route out of town is an example of "trying to please everyone", and all it's doing is adding to the commute of the vast majority I think. I understand that the 5.30 express to Navan has been using the Port Tunnel out of town recently and getting to Navan in record times.

I was on the 6.30 express the other evening and in excess of 30 people boarded it in Busaras and on the way out not a solitary sole got on between the Mater and Blanch.

I'm not a transportation logistics expert, but I do remember when some of the buses were using the port tunnel last year because of the works in Phoniex Park, we were betting to Blanch in Circa 25 minutes some evenings.

I wonder if bus eireann have done any analysis on the alternatives and what the result were?

What bus is it that you are getting Tara and whats the crux of the hold up. Assumedly the vast majority of the time is spent getting to Blanchardstown?

Not sure in relation to Lxflyers comments re the May changes, whether they pertain to the 109 or 109A service.

What I will say is that Bus Eireann shouldn't be aiming "to please everyone", Its that mentality that has buses going to Clonee constantly to service what are in essence ghost stops. what they should be looking for is efficiency; after all they are running a business. Using the Cabra route out of town is an example of "trying to please everyone", and all it's doing is adding to the commute of the vast majority I think. I understand that the 5.30 express to Navan has been using the Port Tunnel out of town recently and getting to Navan in record times.

I was on the 6.30 express the other evening and in excess of 30 people boarded it in Busaras and on the way out not a solitary sole got on between the Mater and Blanch.

I'm not a transportation logistics expert, but I do remember when some of the buses were using the port tunnel last year because of the works in Phoniex Park, we were betting to Blanch in Circa 25 minutes some evenings.

I wonder if bus eireann have done any analysis on the alternatives and what the result were?

They pertain to the 109.

There were a whole heap of complaints here when the 109 started going via the Port Tunnel and the Airport.

Now when the routing reverted to the original route via the N3 there are complaints again.

I'm merely pointing out that no matter what they do there will always be someone put out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

lxflyer wrote: »
    There were a whole heap of complaints here when the 109 started going via the Port Tunnel and the Airport. Now when the routing reverted to the original route via the N3 there are complaints again.

I only get this bus occasionally but my understanding is that people were not complaining about it taking DPT but about the amount of time it took to get through the airport. Now the problem is not the N3 but going through Clonee.

markpb wrote: »
    I only get this bus occasionally but my understanding is that people were not complaining about it taking DPT but about the amount of time it took to get through the airport. Now the problem is not the N3 but going through Clonee.

No I think you'll find complaints above about going via the N3 also Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭crank_1975

There are two issues I would have, the 5PM from Wilton Terrace used to leave at 5.10PM and got to Busaras at about 5.30PM now even though it is leaving 10 minutes earlier it seems to be taking longer to get to busaras.

Once this bus leaves busaras it is usually full (as it is the cavan bus) so there is no reason for this bus to go through the city to blanch (which seems to be taking longer and longer every day) and surely it would make sense for the "express" bus to use the tunnel and then the M3. The handful of times it has done this it has been in Kells at 6.45PM which is more than acceptable. Recently this bus has been getting to Kells at 7.20PM and even 7.30PM on some nights, this equates to a 2.5 hour journey from Wilton terrace to Kells (even using the motorway and bypassing Clonee, Dunshaughlin and Navan).

The main issue seems to be the drivers as far as I can see as depending on which driver you get the time you get home will be either earlier or later, some of them appear to be driving commuter buses while others are doing sightseeing tours of west dublin / east meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

Its going to be great fun from Monday on the Navan Road when the new Tesco opens. Especially with it coming up to Xmas. There is going to be a huge bottleneck at the section of the Navan road that the 109 comes onto from Cabra Road there at the McDonalds.

heard people giving out the other morning that the new 7.05 express route that was working well thus far has deviatated up a blanch slip road in the morning (again I think for the sake or one or maybe two people) and this is having a knock on effect on those trying to get into town and the green?

anyone know whats happening?

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

heard people giving out the other morning that the new 7.05 express route that was working well thus far has deviatated up a blanch slip road in the morning (again I think for the sake or one or maybe two people) and this is having a knock on effect on those trying to get into town and the green?

anyone know whats happening?

Tks

More than likely one of those few individuals mentioned has managed to get the mobile number of the area inspector and made a personal plea to which the Inspector has responded.

Thus,rather than maintain the principle of "Greater Good" the Inspector will default to the easier option of a slap-on-the-back and the "He's a great fellah altogether" approach.

The private sector tend to be somewhat more robust when addressing these type of Mé Féin pleas....but Both of the CIE Road Passenger entities tend to cut n run in the face of a persistent individual...it's just easier that way....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=251
    Route 109, Dublin/Navan/Kells/Virginia/Cavan

Customers please note that from Monday, 12 December 2011 to Sunday, 8 January 2012 inclusive, services on Bus Éireann route 109 will not serve the stops within Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. Instead customers travelling to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre will be set down at the current bus stop located beside the inbound Slip road. Customers travelling from Blanchardstown Shopping Centre will be picked up at the current bus stop located on the Blanchardstown Slip road.

This arrangement is to eliminate any potential for delays due to traffic congestion during the busy Christmas shopping period. Bus Éireann regrets any inconvenience this may cause customers.

updated 5 December 2011

That should allay some of the fears expressed on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

That's great news. It was such a disaster going through blanch village at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

irish_man wrote: »

That's great news. It was such a disaster going through blanch village at the best of times.

It should be knocked on the head for good, it is a joke that a long distance bus to Cavan has to waste 15 minutes going in circles around a retail park when even some of the local city buses are now avoiding it.

Now something needs doing about the outbound route as cabra/Navan rd is getting unbearable from late afternoon onwards.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    It should be knocked on the head for good, it is a joke that a long distance bus to Cavan has to waste 15 minutes going in circles around a retail park when even some of the local city buses are now avoiding it.

Now something needs doing about the outbound route as cabra/Navan rd is getting unbearable from late afternoon onwards.

Absolutely agreed, I've said it in previous posts. The number of people getting on at the stops outside of Bus Aras is minimal, I've seen instances in the last few weeks where not a sinner is getting on at Phibsborough, Cabra or Ashtown. Yet the vast majority of commuters are paying the price in terms of longer journey time home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭tom23

ten steps forward, 25 steps backwards. What part of Express does Bus Eireann not understand? Why should 40 odd passengers have to endure the 4-5 mins of the 'Express' Bus going up the inbound Blanchardsdstown slip road so 1 person yes one person gets off? This express was working flawlessly up till last week, so the 'one' person can get of... so while everyone else pays full whack on a ten journey ticket, our one passenger who gets off at Blanchardstown can get that extra bit of TLC with a cheaper ticket and the greater good will suffer. As I was saying this service was going brilliant but it was to good to last. back now to getting the twenty past six because really it is less stress and I give myself a window of 30 mins to be early.

So I spend an average 100 mins journey home to Navan and the one good service thats provided gets to go though one of the busiest roundabouts in Blanch so the 'One' passenger can get of. Christ Bus Eireann do NOT MAKE SENSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Regarding Blanchardstown slip road the hard shoulder of the dual carriageway adjacent to the slip road, which had been used informally as the drop-off point for years, is no longer the "stop" and this has been the case since May when all buses inbound to the city are required to divert up the slip road at Blanchardstown and drop at the Dublin Bus stop (if there are passengers onboard wishing to alight). This stop is mentioned as the drop-off point in the 109 timetable PDF. This is not something at the discretion of individual staff but the only allowable stopping place and, from a safety perspective, seems quite valid. On the few odd occasions I've alighted here (am not a regular user of the stop) trekking from the informal drop-off point on the hard shoulder up the verge of the slip road was at times like trekking through a muddy field so dropping people at a proper stop with a footpath makes a lot more sense if public transport usage is to be encouraged and also from a safety and legal perspective.

But clearly, at the very minimum a few peak-time journeys each way need to be formally designated as Expressway per se and not picking-up/dropping off at all between Navan Square and O'Connell St. Perhaps marked as 109X in the timetable. At present there is no official Express journey on Route 109.

Drivers of such journeys would need to clarify that all passengers were going to O'Connell St. (or further) by an announcement prior to departure from Navan Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭tom23

Geog1234 wrote: »
    Regarding Blanchardstown slip road the hard shoulder of the dual carriageway adjacent to the slip road, which had been used informally as the drop-off point for years, is no longer the "stop" and this has been the case since May when all buses inbound to the city are required to divert up the slip road at Blanchardstown and drop at the Dublin Bus stop (if there are passengers onboard wishing to alight). This stop is mentioned as the drop-off point in the 109 timetable PDF. This is not something at the discretion of individual staff but the only allowable stopping place and, from a safety perspective, seems quite valid. On the few odd occasions I've alighted here (am not a regular user of the stop) trekking from the informal drop-off point on the hard shoulder up the verge of the slip road was at times like trekking through a muddy field so dropping people at a proper stop with a footpath makes a lot more sense if public transport usage is to be encouraged and also from a safety and legal perspective.

But clearly, at the very minimum a few peak-time journeys each way need to be formally designated as Expressway per se and not picking-up/dropping off at all between Navan Square and O'Connell St. Perhaps marked as 109X in the timetable. At present there is no official Express journey on Route 109.

Drivers of such journeys would need to clarify that all passengers were going to O'Connell St. (or further) by an announcement prior to departure from Navan Square.

Totally agree on there been a 109x. There gas thing about this is that they would fill it to the roof if they marketed it and explained it to passengers. Every morning I hear people asking is this the M3 express? But the point you make the its not really an express because it will stop when ever a request is made. Its a pain because most people are going to City Centre.

As for the bus going inbound to city going to the slip road, this has happened only since Thursday.

But a designated 109x would be ideal, no fantastic. I can't see it happneing, though I wonder would a lobby group of passengers using this service be interested in getting this going.

Totally agree. Express buses are required at peak times. Even an express which uses the Port tunnel route to Dunshaughlin & Navan would have both sets of commuters home earlier. Since all the additions the bus is progressively getting worse

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭crank_1975

Does anyone know what is going on that is making the journey from Busaras to the M50 so long? I've been getting this bus for six years and in the last month it is taking at least 30 minutes longer than it used to. Is it the new Tesco in Cabra?

As previously mentioned, some of the buses should be going through the port tunnel, even one an hour would make a huge difference.

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what is going on that is making the journey from Busaras to the M50 so long? I've been getting this bus for six years and in the last month it is taking at least 30 minutes longer than it used to. Is it the new Tesco in Cabra?

As previously mentioned, some of the buses should be going through the port tunnel, even one an hour would make a huge difference.

Absolutely, to the best of my knowledge, the 109 has always gone the Cabra / Phibsborough route, and it's always been a pain in the neck for the vast majority.

My only experience of the port tunnel was last year when the works in the phoenix park caused chaos on that side of town so somebody in BE had the good sense start using the port tunnel and my recollection is that you were in Blanch in circa 25 minutes/ half an hour. (that coupled with the M3 could now leave travel times from Bus Aras to Navan at about an hour I'd say which would be great)

(That said a bit of common sense dictates that on evenings where there is something on in the 02 the Cabra route may be as quick, but that is hardly realtime information, all big gigs etc.. are advertised well in advance)

Why they didn't stick with it I don’t know, I can only assume that, the vast majority (me included!!) who it suited didn't commend them on it and the few that it didn't suit kicked up stink so BE reverted to the old route as it was the easy option for them.

Agree with the r109x too, how hard can it be to put a big X after 109?

Tom's comments have merit; everybody is probably complaining here individually as opposed to a concerted effort to waken BE up to the realities of life as a commuter and the wastage in terms of commuting time for the majority on a prime route.

Might be an idea if people mail their concerns to BE and copy and paste the replies here (obviously email addresses etc.. can be deleted to preserve anonymity )

I think it's that kind of action that led them to reconsider and hopefully amend the Clonee debacle. This happened as far I know because fair few people had emailed BE and generally complained about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

crank_1975 wrote: »

Traffic is always bad outbound in the evening. There is no outbound bus lanes on the old and new cabra road or the navan road as far as the halfway house so bus passengers are noticing this as well as car traffic.

The phoenix park disruption is ongoing as well so thats a factor as well

For the past 2 days it has taken over 1 1/2hrs to get from Bus Aras to Dunshaughlin. Yesterday I was on the 17.15 bus and on route we picked up no one at any of the stops and today on the 16.45 bus we picked up 3 people in total. I don't understand why they don't have express buses which take the Port Tunnel and less regular buses via the Navan Road. This is without a doubt the worst year for travel times.

I regularly email Bus Eireann but some of the responses have been laughable. The customer service level is very poor

I regularly email Bus Eireann but some of the responses have been laughable. The customer service level is very poor[/QUOTE]

I've had responses verging on insulting, but when I’ve when I’ve pointed out the inadequacy of the response, (which is usually a copy and paste from some announcement that's already on the website followed by a "thank you for contacting us, customer's views are important" blurb) in a reply, cc ing management and asking for the relevant contact details in the NTA if BE can’t be ars*d answering the question, I have found that their subsequent reply is a lot more considered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I regularly email Bus Eireann but some of the responses have been laughable. The customer service level is very poor

Just as an aside,I would suggest a cc'ing all communications with BE to the NTA as well.

The NTA's brief is to ensure the sustainability of Public Transport in the GDA and BE's 109 is one of the flagship corridor routes delivering on the NTA's remit.

Pay close attention to the various colourful stickers,logo's and assorted other NTA/NDP/Transport 2000 stuff plastered all over the fleet....this means that the NTA are accepting the fact that THEY now have a direct input into the provision of service here.

I would recommend hitting them with FACTS,such as the actual journey-times and the numbers of passengers being traded on the contentious stretch.

The Organ Grinder may be well hidden,but once you locate his/her whereabouts get the gloves off ! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement