Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breach of contract. Probation period.

• 20-03-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi.
    I'm looking for advice and hopefully someone has 1st hand experience.

I'm in a company that I hate! Should have trusted my gut at the start.
    Anyhow.
    I'm here almost a year.

I've been on probation 11 months +. Basically, my probation was due to end on a specific date at the start of March (this is written and signed by me and my boss) but I've not had any email or any conversation about how I'm doing or if I have passed the pension..... but I did get paid mid march.

I get paid monthly.

My contract states if on probation, notice period is 1 week.
    Otherwise it's 2 months.
    I'm hoping to hear positive news from a job application but they've said they can't wait 2 months.

1. Am I still on probation?
    2. If I hand in my notice, can I argue that I understood I am still on probation?
    3. I don't want to give 2 month's notice. I detest the place and it would kill me. Does anyone know anyone that was sued for breach of contract?
    4. Does anyone know a solicitor that I could engage with for advice? One that would be of the mindset to argue that 2 month's notice is excessive.

My role isn't very senior or too important.

If I get the other job and I think I'm really in with a chance, I don't want to lose it.
    My current place are very mean and I know they won't negotiate with me. Someone in the past has left their badge on the desk one evening and never returned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you don’t need a reference, just give the statutory notice and leave. They won’t sue you for breach of contract. If you will need a reference, you will have to give the notice period more thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

I'm hoping to obliterate this company from my life as soon as possible. Hate it. Won't be looking for a reference from them.

I can't figure out if I'm technically still on probation. Don't want to ask just yet. If I get an offer from the other job, I was going to try the "I'm still on probation, I'm giving you a weeks notice" spiel...

Anyone have any experience of this? I know it's a bit tricky because I'm over 11 months there..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dubrov

It doesn't matter if you are on probation.
    If you don't need a reference, just tell them you will work one week's notice and leave.
    There is nothing they can do.

dubrov wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you are on probation.
    If you don't need a reference, just tell them you will work one week's notice and leave.
    There is nothing they can do.

I'm just worried about them chasing me for breach of contract in that case....
    Argh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Argh!!

They won't. But they can continue to screw you over for a long time over the reference. Dont waste your money in a solicitor. If you have a job offer offer them a months notice -with any luck they will want you gone asap & look for only the minimum -a week. Ive never seen a place that wants to prolongue the exit longer than necessary - particularly at lower levels. But be nice to them - they can damage you with a poor or left us in the lurch reference for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You've finished your probation. You explain it in your post:
    my probation was due to end on a specific date at the start of March (this is written and signed by me and my boss)

You don't need a follow up e-mail or contract - your probation end date has already been specified and agreed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭listermint

12 months probation and 2 months notice.

Sounds like a **** hole. Very lob sided.

listermint wrote: »
    12 months probation and 2 months notice.

Sounds like a **** hole. Very lob sided.

I agree.

It amazes me how some companies don't understand that if you treat your staff fairly (give and take), they are far more likely to be loyal and hard working.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You've finished your probation. You explain it in your post:

You don't need a follow up e-mail or contract - your probation end date has already been specified and agreed to.

I guess I was just hoping there was a slim chance.
    This place is a real hell hole. I think they have 2 months probation as standard to curb movement - there's a big staff turnaround in one dept. Mine!
    As I said, someone just left one day!!

I have very mixed feelings on the walking out idea.

On the one hand, I want companies to fulfil the obligations to me, so it seems hypocritical of me if I refuse to fulfil my obligations to them. For example, if someone posted something here about a company refusing to honour the notice period, there would be outrage. So I do think it should work both ways.

But saying all that... if a place is ****ed and you'll lose a good opportunity if you fulfil your notice period... and what's the worst the company will do (realistically), give you a bad reference?

It's a tricky one.

I guess the right thing to do is to fulfil your notice period. It's up to you if that sort of thing outweighs the job opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'm hoping to obliterate this company from my life as soon as possible. Hate it. Won't be looking for a reference from them.

I can't figure out if I'm technically still on probation. Don't want to ask just yet. If I get an offer from the other job, I was going to try the "I'm still on probation, I'm giving you a weeks notice" spiel...

Anyone have any experience of this? I know it's a bit tricky because I'm over 11 months there..

I posted about this a while back, following on from a query I received from an ex-colleague of mine. If they decide to make you redundant, you are still on probation. If you decide to leave, you are a permanent member of staff. The lack of clarity on the matter reflects very badly on the company. Doesn't strike me as the type of company that values it's employees that much. You can give them one weeks notice but that may come back to bite you in the backside.

Are any new benefits made available to you on passing your probation; a pension, for example? Do you ever have one-to-one discussions with your line manager?
    But saying all that... if a place is ****ed and you'll lose a good opportunity if you fulfil your notice period... and what's the worst the company will do (realistically), give you a bad reference?

They could take action against the OP. Not sure it'd be worth the hassle but I do know of one consultancy firm in IT that took action against a former employee for breach of contract.

Berserker wrote: »
    They could take action against the OP. Not sure it'd be worth the hassle but I do know of one consultancy firm in IT that took action against a former employee for breach of contract.

Yeah, I could see it happening for a poached CEO or something like that, but I wonder how often does it happen for normal roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

Agree with the above, I have never heard of any what you might term 'normal' employee being pursued for not honouring a notice period, it is simply not worth the hassle.

The only case where I could possibly imagine this happening would be if one was to move to a direct competitor, and leave the current employer in the lurch in that they have no time to transfer your knowledge and knowhow to your successor, because you have reneged on the notice period. In such a case they are going to be rightly pissed off, and you could find them pursuing it.

I am also of the opinion that when you sign up to specific conditions when you agree to join, then you should honour those conditions, unless there are exceptional mitigating circumstances.

You will certainly not get a reference of any practical use if you leave before the agreed notice period. Perhaps you do not need one. But please do not buy into this popular notion that references are not required these days, and that companies will only give the bare minimum in terms of dates worked etc. Yes, this may be true of the official reference in writing from HR, etc, but practically speaking many employers will want to get a genuine reference from somewhere that you have recently worked. I myself will not hire anyone who could not provide me with a number of someone who I could call to have a short informal chat. The keyword here is informal. It's very easy to find out from such a call what the former supervisor etc. really thought of that employee, without going into any real detail, or asking potentially incriminating questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Argh!!

I think you can easily amble into HR with a confused look on your face and ask about your status. Can't see how that would cause any alarm. From what you say you seem stressed and that may be colouring your view of the situation a little more negatively. I would be less concerned about the reference. A lot of companies just say X worked here for a period of Y so they don't get sued. Have you found another job or starting looking? If not get on it ASAP. Sometimes that can help people focus a bit more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

I have some experience of moving companies and managing probationary periods.

From all the companies I have worked in, there has been a meeting around probation and there has to be sign off from 1) the employee and 2) the employer that probation has been passed satisfactorily and both parties are happy to proceed with permanent employement.

This has not happened and thus I would chance your arm when handing in your notice.

Give them 1 weeks notice and say nothing when handing in the notice. Leave after that week unless there is a discussion to the contrary in that period.

Make sure you send the email to your line manager and HR at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

skallywag wrote: »
    …..
    . But please do not buy into this popular notion that references are not required these days, and that companies will only give the bare minimum in terms of dates worked etc. Yes, this may be true of the official reference in writing from HR, etc, but practically speaking many employers will want to get a genuine reference from somewhere that you have recently worked. I myself will not hire anyone who could not provide me with a number of someone who I could call to have a short informal chat. The keyword here is informal....

Many companies will limit references to dates of employment and possibly sick leave , if any. Any manager going outside those parameter would be subject to disciplinary action . That would include "informal" contacts.

rock22 wrote: »
    Many companies will limit references to dates of employment and possibly sick leave , if any. Any manager going outside those parameter would be subject to disciplinary action . That would include "informal" contacts.

Sure, I agree, concerning the official written reference.

I am not talking about getting something in writing though, I am speaking about a short off-the-record call with someone who the candidate has reported to recently. I have received such calls myself and have no hesitation in singing the praises of someone who performed well and who you would love to have back. You do not need to ask anything incriminating, a simple 'would you hire x again' is usually a simple way to get what you are looking for. For sure it may be against the formal way of doing things in this new-world-order, but it is still very much common practice.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think you can easily amble into HR with a confused look on your face and ask about your status.

No, don't agree with this. HR are there to act in the best interest of the company. If the OP ambles in and asks a question like that, it will be reported back to his or her line manager. Nothing an employee discusses with HR is discussed in confidence either.
    Tomw86 wrote: »
    From all the companies I have worked in, there has been a meeting around probation and there has to be sign off from 1) the employee and 2) the employer that probation has been passed satisfactorily and both parties are happy to proceed with permanent employement.

It unusual and poor form on the part of the employer that the OP has not had a meeting to discuss it. Wondering whether or not they are using it as a way to save a few quid on a pension or such. I've seen that before.
    rock22 wrote: »

Not sure how this works in smaller companies but I've used personal (quick phone call) references, along with official "X worked in ... from date X to date Y" HR references from my managers in larger firms.

No, don't agree with this. HR are there to act in the best interest of the company. If the OP ambles in and asks a question like that, it will be reported back to his or her line manager. Nothing an employee discusses with HR is discussed in confidence either.

It unusual and poor form on the part of the employer that the OP has not had a meeting to discuss it. Wondering whether or not they are using it as a way to save a few quid on a pension or such. I've seen that before.

Not sure how this works in smaller companies but I've used personal (quick phone call) references, along with official "X worked in ... from date X to date Y" HR references from my managers in larger firms.

I was thinking that re: pension and other benefits....in which case it would point to the fact that the OP is still within their probationary period.

I remember always having to sign a letter once probation was completed too. I assume that would still be the case.

I was thinking that re: pension and other benefits....in which case it would point to the fact that the OP is still within their probationary period.

I remember always having to sign a letter once probation was completed too. I assume that would still be the case.

Not necessarily. On submitting his or her resignation, the OP may be told that they have passed their probation and the onus is/was on him or her to submit a request for a pension/healthcare etc. They'd need to check the wording in their contract. It may state that a pension etc is made available to the employee, which means the employee would need to approach HR to get the pension etc. The company I work for at the moment, as a contractor, does this with all of their new permanent employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I have very mixed feelings on the walking out idea.

On the one hand, I want companies to fulfil the obligations to me, so it seems hypocritical of me if I refuse to fulfil my obligations to them. For example, if someone posted something here about a company refusing to honour the notice period, there would be outrage. So I do think it should work both ways.

It's a tricky one.

I guess the right thing to do is to fulfil your notice period. It's up to you if that sort of thing outweighs the job opportunity.

One of life's eternal battles :)

The other side is that companies will mostly be on the look out for the loop hole in their favour also

They'll look for notice period in full if you cant be replaced quick or lean on Irish labour law period of notice if they want you out
    - I've seen several times where a company has had a line stating Irish labour law is applicable (i'm paraphrasing) which over ruled in particular notice period of a contract
    Similar to "its only 15 min" when staying late
    but a whole different timespan when going early

OP I'd check contract to see if they state that they'll inform you probation has ended
    If you're concerned run the contract by a solicitor
    After that its a decision you have to make whether you serve the full notice or not

If not a high level position i wouldnt be too concerned

Not necessarily. On submitting his or her resignation, the OP may be told that they have passed their probation and the onus is/was on him or her to submit a request for a pension/healthcare etc. They'd need to check the wording in their contract. It may state that a pension etc is made available to the employee, which means the employee would need to approach HR to get the pension etc. The company I work for at the moment, as a contractor, does this with all of their new permanent employees.

You could well be correct. I am currently working as a contractor myself so not overly certain.

I would imagine there would have to be formal sign off from both sides that they are happy to move from a probationary to permanent contract though - I would have thought that was a minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't say this is my experience of them and I don't ever recall sharing anything in confidence about myself. OP is fully within their rights to talk to them especially on something pretty fundamental. If you look like you're just making a run for the door, yes there might be issues. If you ask a simple question to clarify your status that's really all it is, clarification. One way or another you are informed.

That is not required by law I think.

In the OP's case it's pretty clear from my perspective that the probation period is now over, since the date has passed. I do not think that it necessarily needs to be acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Thank god im coming up to retirement, in my time working if They tried to make it difficult to leave,
    I’d tell them to stick it, life is too short!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dubrov

is_that_so wrote: »
    Can't say this is my experience of them and I don't ever recall sharing anything in confidence about myself. OP is fully within their rights to talk to them especially on something pretty fundamental. If you look like you're just making a run for the door, yes there might be issues. If you ask a simple question to clarify your status that's really all it is, clarification. One way or another you are informed.

I know it is a bit off topic but HR are there to act in the company's interest only.

I would never disclose something to them in any company that I would not want to get back to my line manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

micks wrote: »
    One of life's eternal battles :)

The other side is that companies will mostly be on the look out for the loop hole in their favour also

They'll look for notice period in full if you cant be replaced quick or lean on Irish labour law period of notice if they want you out
    - I've seen several times where a company has had a line stating Irish labour law is applicable (i'm paraphrasing) which over ruled in particular notice period of a contract
    Similar to "its only 15 min" when staying late
    but a whole different timespan when going early

OP I'd check contract to see if they state that they'll inform you probation has ended
    If you're concerned run the contract by a solicitor
    After that its a decision you have to make whether you serve the full notice or not

If not a high level position i wouldnt be too concerned

If it's a large corporation making serious profits and you feel hard done by with the way you've been treated it's quite difficult to feel any guilt, and not really a two way thing as big corp holds all the cards!
    Particularly if it's a position that's seen huge turnover in staff.

Equally if it's a family company and you've been treated well then try do the decent thing re notice etc
    Depends on context.

dubrov wrote: »
    I know it is a bit off topic but HR are there to act in the company's interest only.

I would never disclose something to them in any company that I would not want to get back to my line manager.

Correct. I used to get told every last detail by HR. They shared some incredibly personal and sensitive material about one of my direct reports. Person never new that I was in the loop regarding the conversations. The head of the department was brought into the loop also and I was told to 'manage the f'er out of the department' based on the content of the conversations. Keep your personal matters to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Generally if you pass the end of march and hear nothing it's accepted that you passed probation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Tomw86 wrote:
    I would imagine there would have to be formal sign off from both sides that they are happy to move from a probationary to permanent contract though - I would have thought that was a minimum?

Not necessarily. In fact it would be more likely to happen the other way around, that if he hadn't passed his probation he would have had to be formally notified and informed that they were extending it.

Advertisement