Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic Button?

• 19-03-2019 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi I'm just wondering about acquiring one for a parent. Does anyone know what my options are? Live in the Midwest.
    Thanks, S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Have a look/ contact your local Family Carers Ireland centre - they can help with the personal alarms scheme if you're eligible.

https://familycarers.ie/help-and-advice/personal-alarms/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Also worth checking out the seniors alert scheme which is funded by the Department of Community.

https://www.pobal.ie/programmes/seniors-alert-scheme-sas/

The link above has some details on the scheme and an information booklet. It also has a list of all of the local organisations who support its roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good advice and list of suppliers at
    http://www.assistireland.ie/eng/Information/Information_Sheets/Personal_alarm_systems_and_telecare.html

Key point is to make sure that person with the alarm actually understands how it works, and what they need to do activate it. There's lots of pendant alarms, designed to be worn around the neck, sitting on beside lockers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

If at least one of your parents are over the age of 65 they should be eligible for a funded unit under the senior alert scheme. The family carers (or another local community group) can make the application to Pobal for you. If you parents have a fixed line phone the grant covers the cost of the equipment - unit and 2 pendants - and the first year's monitoring fee. If they have no fixed line phone then you can apply for a GSM unit that works on a SIM card. The grant will cover the cost of the SIM card for the first year also.
    For subsequent years you will need to pay the annual fee - around 80 euro for the monitoring service on a fixed line unit. For a GSM unit the charge covers the SIM card and is about 12 euro per month. Different companies will charge differently.
    Apply for a pendant for each of your parents and encourage them to wear them. I'm afraid leaving them on the bed side locker is not a good idea. Then pendants are generally water proof so can be left on in the shower - which is where a lot of falls occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I'm looking for a wrist based panic button which when pushed automatically results in two or more family members being dialled. The communication mechanism could be a sim card in the wrist band itself or a base unit landline phone which automatically dials the numbers when the button is pressed. If the latter, the phone should also have normal calling facilities too though I'd think this is always the case.

I'd imagine you should be able to buy something like this easily online but am not quite finding it when searching.

Would anyone have a link to the type of product I am looking for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

something like this might do

amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone know if there is a panic button or pager that send an alert to a mobile phone?

Post edited by Heighway61 on

Check out the Seniors Alert Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

My mother has that in place at the moment. She will be moving in with us so I was thinking about how she could alert me wherever I am, asleep upstairs at night, outside or across the road at the shop. An alert to my phone would be ideal.

Advertisement