Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

would you pay for drug testing ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Would I pay extra for IM testing? Not a chance; their fees are too high as it stands, and it would soon develop into a €1 for testing costs, €4 for IM brand "I'm certified drug-free!" wristband...

Would I pay extra for TI testing? Again no, there is so much unpunished blatant cheating that already goes on with drafting, that I don't care enough if some AG'er wants to poison their spirit by doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i understand what are you saying but it also reads

because they dont care aobut this i dont care about that.

i agree with you drugs and drafting should go hand in hand

i do agree that Ironman with their profits should do it without having to add but thats not going to happen . so unless people show people care it wont change ( and yes that extra 5 would have to be 100% to go in drug testing.

as for ti yes i would be happy to pay 2.5 euro to have more motos.

its a horrible job to do ,and i would be happy for the people to do it to be better compensated. this is definitely not a voluntary job to get abused for helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »

when I was younger a lot of people were concerned about the purity of tabs at events. Worthwhile testing that.

tunney wrote: »
    when I was younger a lot of people were concerned about the purity of tabs at events. Worthwhile testing that.

i guess those are people that have even more issues than triathletes ....
    at least thats what i tell myslef. ( and sometimes i believe it )

Rest in peace Keith

giphy-downsized.gif?cid=6104955e5c7d119856733878633632db

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

peter kern wrote: »

its a horrible job to do ,and i would be happy for the people to do it to be better compensated. this is definitely not a voluntary job to get abused for helping.

This is one of the reasons I'd be against paying for mandatory testing of all AG podiums... it helps legitimise amateur doping as something that needs to be further referree-ed, and downgrades it to a mere breech of the rules like drafting- rather than the abhorrent affront to Competition, fair play, and body and soul which it is.

Harsher penalties are required... test every (say) 1 in 5 podium position and a lifetime ban for any breaches. That wouldn't add much to entry costs and would soon soften the cough of would-be dopers who are in it for the "glory".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Just out of curiousity, do people think doping is an issue at events in Ireland? I've never really thought of it, would think people at Ironman are alright with the goal on Kona but never really thought about it at a more local level. I suppose it is at all levels in other sports, not just among the elites or top level within the country.

joey100 wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity, do people think doping is an issue at events in Ireland? I've never really thought of it, would think people at Ironman are alright with the goal on Kona but never really thought about it at a more local level. I suppose it is at all levels in other sports, not just among the elites or top level within the country.

Most certainly. Most certainly.

i would not think its a great issue. at the same time we dont really know.

ie for instance i have never been offered drugs in a gym here in ireland. I am being told for instance this is something quite commonin austria to happen so maybe the network is not as readily availabe in ireland what there certainly is there is an increase of testosterone tratments etc.

i do not think that its just kona qualifiiers its a mindset question that can affect the 12.20 athelte that wants to break 12 as much as the the guy that wants to break 10 and has done 6 times between 10.05 and 10.10 .

and the 12 hour ironman in terms of hours trains as much as many top athletes in GAA .

its the same with drafting there is as much drafting at the front as t in the middle or at the end of the field ( the intend might be a bit differetn ie in the front you have the chance to not do it mor than inthe middle where greater packs form and the guys at the end often dont even know they are not racing legal ) but its not really dependant on level.

and the one thing we can be certain is there is a drafting issue in ireland , but hardly ever a penalty.

personally i think 5 $ added to 300 $ ie less than 2 % would be ok .

at the same time i understand TI and ironman to say who gives a f.ck aobut manmils in lycra drafting and taking drugs. but what i dont get is that then they care so much about people crossing the line into transiton where you could gain maybe 5 seconds vs being more vigilant with drafting where you could gain 2-5 min over an hour .

( yes i get it one is easy to control and the other is not but it really dosnt make sense to make a sport fair its just pretending a bit )

still overall first world problems as as much as i would like to see see the sport a bit fairer , as much i laugh about myself to care about it .

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons I'd be against paying for mandatory testing of all AG podiums... it helps legitimise amateur doping as something that needs to be further referree-ed, and downgrades it to a mere breech of the rules like drafting- rather than the abhorrent affront to Competition, fair play, and body and soul which it is.

Harsher penalties are required... test every (say) 1 in 5 podium position and a lifetime ban for any breaches. That wouldn't add much to entry costs and would soon soften the cough of would-be dopers who are in it for the "glory".

its less than 1% for full and 2 % for half in case of the linekd petition that would be added

and again given the entry number for cork ( 500 euro plus ) vs hardman (225 euro ) the money does not seem to be of interest anyways)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

i dont know for sure but suspect that it is, i see things that just dont seem to add up e.g. guys in their 40s who have been training for years suddenly having big improvements, guys losing a serious amount of weight (more than 10kgs) and getting considerably stronger on the bike in a short period of time at time trials when he wasnt fat to start out with

are there coaches out there encouraging guys down that road?

id pay extra for testing, a few € more is not a big deal

Advertisement