Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41 new ICR centre cars

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

GM228 wrote: »
    The centre cars will be the same as current, with the exception that there may be extra seats, but this is not known yet.

The Mk 2s you talk about were the composites, there were nine of them, they were half first and half standards, hence the centre door to separate the different classes.

Be interesting to see if there is any differences between the new cars and the old cars they are surrounded by when they're inserted in or they are going to be exactly the same so you won't be able to tell apart from them being less worn.

Remember when the LUAS 3000 range had new segments put in, they had different seating arrangements, different window shapes different PIS screens and a few other minor differences which made it obvious it was a new segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Whats the overall plan in terms of train lengths. Im guessing the obvious thing to do first of all is to make some 7, 8 or 9 car sets to remove the need of doubling sets. Is there a preferred set legnth obviously some 3 and 4 car formations would need to remain due to operational restrictions and low demand services.

How many sets could be freed if the need of doubling sets up was replaced with longer sets.

Apart from Connolly services what IC services on the Hueston side are crying out for more capacity at the moment or is the bulk of these for commuter services.

How many 2900s could be freed by running Dundalk and Longford services limited stops/semi express with just 22000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Whats the overall plan in terms of train lengths. Im guessing the obvious thing to do first of all is to make some 7, 8 or 9 car sets to remove the need of doubling sets. Is there a preferred set legnth obviously some 3 and 4 car formations would need to remain due to operational restrictions and low demand services.

There is no difference to length sets. They won't make 8/9 car sets because they can only operate very limited services. Extending a single set to a 7 car might be a problem. I don't know but think any option to extend to 7 would require a B1 car. Personally there is very limited demand for regular 7 car sets at Heuston apart from weekends.

Recken the set up will be something like this:
    Return 10 6 car premier class sets to 6 car (10) - 378 seats
    Return 5 6 car high capacity sets to 6 car (10) - 408 seats
    Convert 20 4 car sets to 5 car (20) - 336 seats
    Reduce the current 28 3 car to probally 18 3 car and 10 4 car - 190/265 seats

Sligo/Longford changes to standard 5 car (apart from existing 7 car).
    Rosslare mix 4/5 car.
    Limerick changes to standard 5 car (direct services).
    Tralee shuttle changes to 5 car shuttle and 6 direct.
    Galway/Waterford mostly 6 car sets, 4/5 off peak.
    Westport mostly 5 or 3x4 car.
    Cork 6 car.
    Portlaoise/PPT 5/6/7 car.

Ideally removing 29 off Rosslare/Longford should cater for M3 Parkway with Maynooth/N Commuter still having the odd ICR.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is no difference to length sets. They won't make 8/9 car sets because they can only operate very limited services. Extending a single set to a 7 car might be a problem. I don't know but think any option to extend to 7 would require a B1 car. Personally there is very limited demand for regular 7 car sets at Heuston apart from weekends.

Sligo/Longford changes to standard 5 car (apart from existing 7 car).
    Rosslare mix 4/5 car.
    Limerick changes to standard 5 car (direct services).
    Tralee shuttle changes to 5 car shuttle and 6 direct.
    Galway/Waterford mostly 6 car sets, 4/5 off peak.
    Westport mostly 5 or 3x4 car.
    Cork 6 car.
    Portlaoise/PPT 5/6/7 car.

Ideally removing 29 off Rosslare/Longford should cater for M3 Parkway with Maynooth/N Commuter still having the odd ICR.

Is there not an opportunity by creating more longer sets that more sets can be created while also resolving capacity issues. I thought the overall need was for more trains than longer ones in the long term. Simply adding 1 car to each set pretty much will have little impact IMO.

Many services still run with 3×3, 3x4 or 4x4 at times. Obviously ordering the right intermediate cars to allow longer set would be key, id imagine a mixture of high capacity and standard would be sought. This will not only offer extra capacity but can also offer more frequency by freeing up more driving cars as well.

Personally i think by the time these cars are delivered the demand for 7 and even 8 car sets will increase. You may still have a case where some off peak services run with an over supply of capacity but in the long run it returns a better benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

That adds up to 50 cars. Only 41 are being ordered.

• Advertisement

Is there not an opportunity by creating more longer sets that more sets can be created while also resolving capacity issues. I thought the overall need was for more trains than longer ones in the long term. Simply adding 1 car to each set pretty much will have little impact IMO.

Many services still run with 3×3, 3x4 or 4x4 at times. Obviously ordering the right intermediate cars to allow longer set would be key, id imagine a mixture of high capacity and standard would be sought. This will not only offer extra capacity but can also offer more frequency by freeing up more driving cars as well.

Personally i think by the time these cars are delivered the demand for 7 and even 8 car sets will increase. You may still have a case where some off peak services run with an over supply of capacity but in the long run it returns a better benefit.

There is no schedule 4x4. There is only a 3-4 7 car ops ex Heuston most days and only one of those is actually based on demand. The same in Connolly there is a 7 car on Maynooth, Sligo and N Commuter once or twice a day.

Ordering extra coaches will not deliver a massive amount of enhanced frequency nor do I think its the objective. Personally I don't think they will add a 7 car set, reduces flexibility when they can run 3&4.
    That adds up to 50 cars. Only 41 are being ordered.

So it does, guess less 5 cars and more 4s or more likely they won't reform the high capacity sets.

There is no schedule 4x4. There is only a 3-4 7 car ops ex Heuston most days and only one of those is actually based on demand. The same in Connolly there is a 7 car on Maynooth, Sligo and N Commuter once or twice a day.

Ordering extra coaches will not deliver a massive amount of enhanced frequency nor do I think its the objective. Personally I don't think they will add a 7 car set, reduces flexibility when they can run 3&4.

So it does, guess less 5 cars and more 4s or more likely they won't reform the high capacity sets.

I understand current demand and timetabling may not require such long trains now but by the time these extra cars arrive we should see a large increase in demand and passenger numbers overall. The 2700 project was aimed at adding extra frequency and capacity to commuter services so I can't see just adding capacity to current frequencies resolving many issues.

Running a 3 x 4 under utilize driving cars. Personally i think it would better to increase these and create two full sets.

I've seen 8 cars in service before but maybe they were specials or short notice replacements. Longford, Dundalk, Drogheda and if PPT keeps growing would definitely benefit from 8 car trains in the near future.

IE 222 wrote: »
    I understand current demand and timetabling may not require such long trains now but by the time these extra cars arrive we should see a large increase in demand and passenger numbers overall. The 2700 project was aimed at adding extra frequency and capacity to commuter services so I can't see just adding capacity to current frequencies resolving many issues.

Running a 3 x 4 under utilize driving cars. Personally i think it would better to increase these and create two full sets.

I've seen 8 cars in service before but maybe they were specials or short notice replacements. Longford, Dundalk, Drogheda and if PPT keeps growing would definitely benefit from 8 car trains in the near future.

8 cars can only operate very limted services mostly the main stations between Dublin-Cork for exmaple they could not operate PPT, Longford or Dundalk. Remember an 8 22 is longer than an 8 29 by over 20 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I've seen 8 cars in service before but maybe they were specials or short notice replacements.

Perhaps they were running from Laois Traincare Depot to Heuston Station, to form two separate services from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You can have up to 12 coaches in a ICR formation but the most ever used is 9 which is cleared for Dublin Cork which allows considerable set flexibility (3 + 3 + 3, 4 + 5)

Dublin Sligo is 7 max
    Dublin Galway/Westport/Ballina should be 8 max
    Dublin Rosslare is 5 max (7 as far as Greystones)
    Dublin Waterford is 6 max (7 may be possible if Kllkenny is skipped)
    Dublin Limerick is 8 max (but 7 is used typically due platform restrictions in Limerick only 1 platform can take 8)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You can have up to 12 coaches in a ICR formation but the most ever used is 9 which is cleared for Dublin Cork which allows considerable set flexibility (3 + 3 + 3, 4 + 5)

Dublin Sligo is 7 max
    Dublin Galway/Westport/Ballina should be 8 max
    Dublin Rosslare is 5 max (7 as far as Greystones)
    Dublin Waterford is 6 max (7 may be possible if Kllkenny is skipped)
    Dublin Limerick is 8 max (but 7 is used typically due platform restrictions in Limerick only 1 platform can take 8)

i thought that it is 18 rather then 12?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Didn't think 8 car sets were so restricted at intercity stations. Would of thought Dundalk, Longford ect would of been able to handle them with maybe some of the smaller intermediate stations been bypassed.

Seen a 5x4 set in sercive before as well. Im pretty there was a GAA special this year with one.

Pretty sure they can run up to 18cars.

Anyway I still think 7 car sets would be useful and in need by the time this order arrives.

i thought that it is 18 rather then 12?

12 are probably only cleared, I think 10 is the max used at the minute but no in service.

To lazy to check but either Ballybrophy or Templemore limit them to 7 but 8 can operate. It could be 9 cars I am thinking of.
    Didn't think 8 car sets were so restricted at intercity stations. Would of thought Dundalk, Longford ect would of been able to handle them with maybe some of the smaller intermediate stations been bypassed.

Yeah all routes could take larger but it would require stops dropped. Another problem is many routes that can take a 7 car a lot of stations have only a single platform capable of handling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Pretty sure they can run up to 18cars. .

Yes they can run in 18 car formation but only in a worst case situation where a 9 car formation may have to rescue a failed 9 car formation.

Like the way DARTs can up to 16 cars, has happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DoctorPan

Anyway I still think 7 car sets would be useful and in need by the time this order arrives.

Fixed 7 car sets and above can't work as the depot roads can only handle 6 car lengths without having to split up the sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Good point, the lifting jacks in Portlaoise are setup for a sync lift of 6 coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

If these coaches are ordered in 2019, how long would it take them to arrive?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The decision that the corroded units were banjaxed was in 2009 or so and the replacements arrived 2011. So I'd assume two to three years seeing as they will have to reconfigure production lines etc.

Their website suggests they've done no other DMUs since!

L1011 wrote: »
    The decision that the corroded units were banjaxed was in 2009 or so and the replacements arrived 2011. So I'd assume two to three years seeing as they will have to reconfigure production lines etc.

Their website suggests they've done no other DMUs since!

Presumably they produced lots of EMUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

8 cars can only operate very limted services mostly the main stations between Dublin-Cork for exmaple they could not operate PPT, Longford or Dundalk. Remember an 8 22 is longer than an 8 29 by over 20 meters.

To put it in perspective 8 DMU cars will fit onto the average Dart Platform but the same platform can only accomidate 7 ICR cars.

• Advertisement

With all the big orders or leasing been planned in the coming years is there any plans or scope for getting single car units like the 2750 for running the likes of Neagh, Ballina and Waterford - Limerick Jct. Obviously when the 2600 and 2800 come of age 4 car 2900s will be over kill on these routes. Will bi-mode likely come in 2 car sets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

With all the big orders or leasing been planned in the coming years is there any plans or scope for getting single car units like the 2750 for running the likes of Neagh, Ballina and Waterford - Limerick Jct. Obviously when the 2600 and 2800 come of age 4 car 2900s will be over kill on these routes. Will bi-mode likely come in 2 car sets as well.

2751/3 never worked out as they were too small for other duties bar one service, which obviously limits what runs they can and can't do.

2751/3 never worked out as they were too small for other duties bar one service, which obviously limits what runs they can and can't do.

2751 & 2753 ceased single car running for reasons of unreliability, not capacity.

They would be ideal for Nenagh branch, Lk Jn - Waterford, Ballina and perhaps stopping services on mainline routes, allowing intercity services run limited stop.

It always amazes me that bus operators around the world can single engined vehicles reliably, but Irish Rail cannot get two single vehicles to run independently. Rail operators in Britain, France and elsewhere can run single vehicle railcars in much more populated areas, but we cannot do it in Ireland, for fear of mechanical failure.

What sort of loading is Neagh, Waterford and Ballina getting these days. Surely having some single cars may may make offering some off peak service more viable.

Speaking of Ballina how often and when does the Ballina set get swapped out. Is this done via Athlone and Western rail corridor.

Does the set run in service Limerick - Galway and Galway - Athlone and vice versa on return if its transfers via Western corridor.

Speaking of Ballina how often and when does the Ballina set get swapped out. Is this done via Athlone and Western rail corridor.

Does the set run in service Limerick - Galway and Galway - Athlone and vice versa on return if its transfers via Western corridor.

Once a week (usually a Thursday) and it operates via WRC. Its empty between Ballina-Galway and swapped with a set arriving/departing Galway for Limerick.

Once a week (usually a Thursday) and it operates via WRC. Its empty between Ballina-Galway and swapped with a set arriving/departing Galway for Limerick.

Is this during the day or done after the day's services. Does Ballina have refuelling services.

Is this during the day or done after the day's services. Does Ballina have refuelling services.

In between services:
    Galway-Ballina 08.20-12.57
    Ballina-Galway 11.37-15.01

As for refueling not sure but probally mobile service or something in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

tabbey wrote: »
    2751 & 2753 ceased single car running for reasons of unreliability, not capacity.

They would be ideal for Nenagh branch, Lk Jn - Waterford, Ballina and perhaps stopping services on mainline routes, allowing intercity services run limited stop.

Aware that they were phased out for reliability issues. However the impracticality of the units meant that they didn't see much use as single cars. They'd have been okay for a Rosslare-Waterford link but traffic demand was rather different when they were ordered in the mid 90's. Ballina branch services wouldn't have seen use of them given the high numbers it carries peak hours. Also, from time to time the Ballina shuttle was called upon to relieve and even stand in for failed mainline links. It wouldn't have had a hope :)
    tabbey wrote: »
    It always amazes me that bus operators around the world can single engined vehicles reliably, but Irish Rail cannot get two single vehicles to run independently. Rail operators in Britain, France and elsewhere can run single vehicle railcars in much more populated areas, but we cannot do it in Ireland, for fear of mechanical failure.

The wear on tear of a road bus isn't a patch on that of a railcar thrice its size. Real apples and orange stuff here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Getting light/short DMU sets to trigger signal detection can be a bit tricky in some situations too, no? Have certainly seen it mentioned on this side of the pond.

Advertisement