Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few more bans on the way

• 25-05-2018 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Three players have been suspended while an investigation into match fixing is undertaken. Two Chinese players. Mark Allen must be happy about Cao. He accused Cao of cheating in the World's in 2012 and got a big fine and a suspended ban.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/44259369

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Will be interesting to see what matches were involved and in which tournaments. Cant really be a surprise when you consider the level of illicit gambling you hear about in the Far East that things like this will surface. Have believed for a long time that snooker is really only scratching the surface when it comes to the level of small time corruption going on.

Allen's beef was in relation to fouls on the table so not really relevant to this, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

elgriff wrote: »

wow, that guy was spot on in the 1st link.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Any news on this yet? Just when Cao's career was finally starting to take off as well! I was thinking to myself he had a good chance for Top 16 and then this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Godot. wrote: »
    Any news on this yet? Just when Cao's career was finally starting to take off as well! I was thinking to myself he had a good chance for Top 16 and then this happens.

Yu Delu 12 year ban with one year suspended for late admittance of guilt.
    Cao Zupeng 6 year ban but with 3.5 years suspended after full co-operation with investigation.

Details of the matches involved are here.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/46383380

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

David John: A suspension from attending or competing in WPBSA sanctioned events for a period of 7 years. He was given credit for admitting the charges, so the period of suspension he has to serve is 5 years 7 months. This is to run from 22nd May 2018, the date of his original suspension, until 21st December 2023. He was ordered to pay £17,000 towards the WPBSA costs.

Jamie Jones: A suspension from attending or competing in WPBSA sanctioned events for a period of 16 months. He was given credit for admitting to the charge, so the period of suspension he has to serve is 12 months. This is to run from 11th October 2018, the date of his original suspension until 10th October 2019. He was ordered to pay £9,000 towards the WPBSA costs.

https://www.wpbsa.com/wpbsa-disciplinary-hearing-finding-david-john-and-jamie-jones/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

A year ban for failing to report the fact that another player was approached to fix a match seems quite harsh.

A year ban for failing to report the fact that another player was approached to fix a match seems quite harsh.

Jones part does seem strange but we simply don’t know the full details. Why was he present when the approach was made? Seems odd somebody would make an approach like that with a witness present, I really can’t figure that bit out.

But the rules on reporting are crystal clear so not sure he can have too many complaints, maybe a couple of months less might have been fairest?

Yeah I don’t know either, perhaps Jones wasn’t present when the approach was made, but found out about it from John.

Maybe 2-3 month / tournament penalty I don’t know, but yeah if the rule is there do the sensible thing and report it.

Good to see World Snooker taking corruption in general so seriously.

• Advertisement

Can’t remember fully now but I believe the wpbsa wanted to charge jones with basically facilitating the whole thing - in that he was the intermediary between Mr X and John, but he denied it and they couldn’t prove it. They knew from phone records that Jones had been in contact with the fixer but that obviously wasn’t enough to nail him.

*on a more serious charge I mean

Hmmm... that’s a lot more serious. If that’s true maybe 1 year is lenient.

Well that was the case they initially laid out, but they couldn’t prove it and Jones denied it so they went with the lesser charge of failing to report.

I guess Jones version must be along the lines either he just happened to be there when John was approached or else John just told him about it later. Think they were sharing a hotel room as it happened.

Think they know who the fixer guy is but their hands are a little tied because I don’t believe there is any criminal focus to these investigations.

Advertisement