Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiking Holiday Recommendation SpuSoughtght

• 10-01-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Howdee

Looking for a bit of advice/few suggestions here.

I’m thinking of doing a weeks hiking holiday in August (most likely in Europe)– I’m kind of overwhelmed at the moment by the amount of options out there so I need to narrow down my search.

Can anyone recommend a destination suitable for myself (fit and fairly experienced hillwalker) and my 13 year old son (also nimble).

I looked at Iceland but it seems to be pretty expensive

And I’ve looked at the Dolomites. It looks promising but I’m worried that it may be a little overrun in August

Also, should I use a tour company – do they add enough value to warrant the expense?

Any suggestions/advice very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Kerry

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fillup

Kerry

Thanks Grower but im thinking more continental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

fillup wrote: »
    Howdee

Looking for a bit of advice/few suggestions here.

I’m thinking of doing a weeks hiking holiday in August (most likely in Europe)– I’m kind of overwhelmed at the moment by the amount of options out there so I need to narrow down my search.

Can anyone recommend a destination suitable for myself (fit and fairly experienced hillwalker) and my 13 year old son (also nimble).

I looked at Iceland but it seems to be pretty expensive

And I’ve looked at the Dolomites. It looks promising but I’m worried that it may be a little overrun in August

Also, should I use a tour company – do they add enough value to warrant the expense?

Any suggestions/advice very much appreciated

Thanks in advance
    personally, I'd avoid August - too hot, too busy and too expensive plus, if the weather is good here, Ireland is as good as anywhere for hiking. I tend to holiday in May and/or September however I don't have the restriction of school holidays which I guess you do

Iceland is fantastic for walking. It's expensive but you can keep costs down to a reasonable level if you're careful - buy your booze in duty-free when you land, don't hire a car if you don't need to, don't eat/drink out too much (food isn't great anyway), buy your food in the supermarket (cheapest is probably Bonus), stay in hostels / places you can cook your own meals or camp, avoid the 'Golden Circle' area. Paddy Dillon has a book on walks in Iceland, worth checking out.

Paddy also has guidebooks for the Canaries, good walking there too. Out of season it's dirt cheap

The Greek islands are also cheap out of season. I usually go in September, even some of the smaller islands have spectacular walks so you could do a bit of island hopping eg in the lesser Cyclades.
    Last year I skipped Greece and went to Corsica. Lots of trails, super scenery but expensive and relatively busy. I'd probably go again but Greece and Iceland would be my preferences

I'd never use a tour company or guide - I prefer to decide where I want to go, not where they want me to go

Some great advice there tphase

And yes, unfortunately August is the only window i have this year.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

Slovenia.

The Julian Alps near Bled/ Bohinj. The highest peak Triglav is doable, with a little via ferratta. Lovely mountain lakes. You can get a guide from Bled.

Cheaper than most countries and just as beautiful if not more so.

• Advertisement

While the Dolomites are my favourite place in the world, and wouldn't be too busy at the very end of August.
    I also think Austria is less busy, and easily reached from Ireland

What about Norway?, I did a walking tour with this organisation, and found it to be excellent.
    Long days, nice huts, and English speaking group

https://english.dnt.no/

Thanks Benny and Dursey - I'll check oout ur suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Slovenia.

The Julian Alps near Bled/ Bohinj. The highest peak Triglav is doable, with a little via ferratta. Lovely mountain lakes. You can get a guide from Bled.

Cheaper than most countries and just as beautiful if not more so.

I totally have Slovenia on the bucket list, and nearly was going to go 2yrs back but again the August temperatures put me off (I think there was a serious heat wave that summer also). Having said that in terms of heat waves it really does depend on the summer, 2yrs ago the whole of Southern Europe was under a massive heat wave, however this summer it was more the northern half of Europe and Southern Europe was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Picos de Europa in the North of Spain

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I would agree with others who have posted here and avoid the continent if possible, mainly due to how hot it could potentially be in August.

Would you consider Scotland or Wales?

Apart from Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons, Wales has some world-class coastal walking in Pembrokeshire and Anglesy right on our doorstep that's so easy to access via ferry but relatively unknown over here. You can also easily make it as challenging or kid-friendly as you like in terms of the lengths you split each day up into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Lake district in UK is excellent , ferry over drive up in 4hrs . Extremely walker friendly with very well laid out routes to suit all levels.

Quackster wrote: »
    I would agree with others who have posted here and avoid the continent if possible, mainly due to how hot it could potentially be in August.

Would you consider Scotland or Wales?

Apart from Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons, Wales has some world-class coastal walking in Pembrokeshire and Anglesy right on our doorstep that's so easy to access via ferry but relatively unknown over here. You can also easily make it as challenging or kid-friendly as you like in terms of the lengths you split each day up into.

it all depends on how high you are really, I never found the alps too hot in the summer.
    I remember being in the Brenta Dolomites once 10 degrees at the Tuckett Refugio, when we had lunch, high in the mountains, 20 when we reached Molveno, and 27 degrees that evening when we went to Verona to see the Opera.
    Nothing, beats staying overnight in a hut, high in the mountains, and the stillness and quietness, when the day trippers have gone home, having a beer and a meal, and then heading off early the next morning.
    It's a very different experience to walking in Ireland or Britain, and once you avoid the very popular places, can be quiet.

The Tuckett hut set in such a beautiful location.
    https://www.rifugio-tuckett.it/it/

Thanks for all the suggestions folks - most helpful and informative

In the end i decided to splurge and we're heading for a weeks jaunt around Iceland in a wee campervan.

Advertisement