Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Religious persecution in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

MarchDub wrote: »
    Well I am talking about degree of source material. If a book is a secondary source then it's a secondary source [or even tertiary] - original primary source material has its own definition no matter where it is found. And any student of history ought to know the difference.

The difference between primary and secondary sources is clear. I dont see what you are trying to say about 'degree of source material'. What is your point in this? Also the actual definition of a primary source may be difficult to clarify. For example would you consider an autobiography to be a primary source in relation to events involving its author. If not could you give an example of 'primary' source material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The difference between primary and secondary sources is clear. I dont see what you are trying to say about 'degree of source material'. What is your point in this? Also the actual definition of a primary source may be difficult to clarify.

I think I do.

If we take the first biography of Pearse by Louis Le Roux in 1932 that has been used by other biographers almost since publication. To quote that in a history book I would expect a biographer to check its source material as lots of things changed. A Pearse sister published, many of the parties were still alive and could have been libeled. Also, being first is hardist as it is the template.
    For example would you consider an autobiography to be a primary source in relation to events involving its author. If not could you give an example of 'primary' source material.

I would probably -but I would be sceptical about a persons impartiality.

An example of primary source material for Westminster is Hansard. Unpublished papers and letters.Where they involve situations that were told to the author that he was not involved in they are secondary and hearsay.

CDfm wrote: »
    I think I do.

If we take the first biography of Pearse by Louis Le Roux in 1932 that has been used by other biographers almost since publication. To quote that in a history book I would expect a biographer to check its source material as lots of things changed. A Pearse sister published, many of the parties were still alive and could have been libeled. Also, being first is hardist as it is the template.

So is a biography primary or secondary? As it is open to interpretation it could contain the authors bias or even mistakes.
    An example of primary source material for Westminster is Hansard. Unpublished papers and letters.Where they involve situations that were told to the author that he was not involved in they are secondary and hearsay.
    Not all historical events would have primary sources. By its nature then a biography must contain information that is secondary, thus all biographies are historiographical (?).

So is a biography primary or secondary? As it is open to interpretation it could contain the authors bias or even mistakes.

Secondary because you are relying on the original authors work.

A historian should check the sources of another author and verify them in an academic work in the same way a lawyer will cite a case.

Not all historical events would have primary sources. By its nature then a biography must contain information that is secondary, thus all biographies are historiographical (?).

I realise that .

But to be considered a scholarly work it should be based on the closest possible sources otherwise it ceases to be history and becomes lore or fiction.

With regard to the original example of the events known as the 'Limerick Pogrom', it may have been a reflection on the wider feelings in Britain & Ireland.
    This eminated from problems in Tzarist Russia
    In the 19th century, Tsarist Russia was home to about five million Jews, at the time, the "largest Jewish community in the world".[2] Subjected to religious persecution, they were obliged to live in the Pale of Settlement, on the Polish-Russian borders, in conditions of great poverty.[2] About half left, mostly for the United States, but many - about 150,000 - arrived in Britain.[2] This reached its peak in the late 1890s, with "tens of thousands of Jews ... mostly poor, semi-skilled and unskilled" settling in the East End of London.[2]

By the turn of the century, a popular and media backlash had begun.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Act_1905

This led to the eventual passing of the Aliens act in 1905 after a previous act was not passed
    The embattled Conservative Government led by Arthur Balfour (it was to lose the general election of 1906 to the Liberals in a landslide) saw a cause on which it might unite its members. A 1904 government Bill would, if enacted, have conferred a broad power on the Home Secretary to exclude aliens from this country, and would have allowed the Local Government Board to define areas of the country from which aliens would be excluded. It met with substantial opposition in the House of Commons and had to be withdrawn.

A much revised Bill became the 1905 Act, despite the assurance from Keir Hardie, Labour MP for Merthyr Tydfil, that “there is no demand for this Bill from the working classes”. It created a body of officers with power to refuse permission to enter the country to “undesirable immigrants”, including those with no means of financial support. But there were three important limiting provisions. First, it applied only to “steerage passengers” (those with the cheapest tickets) and only if they arrived on a ship carrying more than 20 alien steerage passengers.

Secondly, there was an exception for those coming here to avoid persecution on political or religious grounds, which was true of a very substantial proportion of the Jewish refugees from Eastern Europe.

Thirdly, the Act created a right of appeal to an immigration board. The Act did not impose any quota.
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article537244.ece

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

With regard to the original example of the events known as the 'Limerick Pogrom', it may have been a reflection on the wider feelings in Britain & Ireland.
    This eminated from problems in Tzarist Russia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Act_1905

This led to the eventual passing of the Aliens act in 1905 after a previous act was not passed
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article537244.ece

Not sure how you are connecting the 'wider' example of Britain and Ireland as regards Jewish immigration and lumping both experiences together. The situation in Russia as regards Jews got its greatest broadcast from no less an Irishman than Michael Davitt who wrote "Within the Pale" in 1902 to highlight the atrocities against Jews in Russia. Jewish scholars even today regard this work as monumental in bringing attention to the plight of Russian Jews.

The Limerick Pogrom was apparently a one off situation that did not spread beyond the parish it began in. Robert Briscoe would later write of the ease with with his Jewish family settled into Ireland after arriving from Lithuania. They became Irish nationalists beginning with their father drilling Irish history into them at an early age.

Not sure how you are connecting the 'wider' example of Britain and Ireland as regards Jewish immigration and lumping both experiences together.

+1

I dont think in Ireland that you had an anti-semetic culture.The conditions were not there for it.

The Limerick even was a local issue.

Not sure how you are connecting the 'wider' example of Britain and Ireland as regards Jewish immigration and lumping both experiences together. The situation in Russia as regards Jews got its greatest broadcast from no less an Irishman than Michael Davitt who wrote "Within the Pale" in 1902 to highlight the atrocities against Jews in Russia. Jewish scholars even today regard this work as monumental in bringing attention to the plight of Russian Jews.

The Limerick Pogrom was apparently a one off situation that did not spread beyond the parish it began in. Robert Briscoe would later write of the ease with with his Jewish family settled into Ireland after arriving from Lithuania. They became Irish nationalists beginning with their father drilling Irish history into them at an early age.

The Limerick pogrom was local in action but received wider support than just the locality it was concerned with. From previously posted link:
    The pogrom received wide coverage and on 4 April The Times in London published a letter supporting the anti-Jewish drive. A number of English people sent moral support to the activists through the correspondence columns of the Limerick Leader. One was Alfred Walmsley of the British League of Brothers, based in Stepney. He said that he regretted that English workers had not copied the initiative taken by the citizens of Limerick. Before the year was out his organisation had fomented an ugly riot in London’s East End.
    http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume12/issue2/features/?id=305

Advocates of the problems in Russia such as Davitt were not Universal. Arthur Griffith had very different views. The fact that the original Aliens act that was not passed actually got to parliament suggests to me that there was a wider support for preventing this immigration than just in Limerick. It was a more popular idea in Britain than Ireland but the Aliens act covered both.

The Limerick pogrom was local in action but received wider support than just the locality it was concerned with. From previously posted link:
    http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume12/issue2/features/?id=305

Advocates of the problems in Russia such as Davitt were not Universal. Arthur Griffith had very different views. The fact that the original Aliens act that was not passed actually got to parliament suggests to me that there was a wider support for preventing this immigration than just in Limerick. It was a more popular idea in Britain than Ireland but the Aliens act covered both.

FYI Michael Davitt was working for the American news mogul Hearst at the time so his work got worldwide attention - most especially in the USA among Jewish interested parties. It was published in London and New York. It was also praised by John Redmond.

The Limerick Pogrom might have received attention but the actions did not spread beyond the parish it was in. That is the point I am making.

Also FYI - Griffith was actually a good friend of Briscoe Senior - as recorded by Robert Briscoe.

Edit : For a fuller read on this whole issue you should read "Jews in Twentieth Ireland" by Dermot Keogh. It tells of many stories of how the Jewish population settled into Ireland.

+1

I dont think in Ireland that you had an anti-semetic culture.The conditions were not there for it.

The Limerick even was a local issue.

You're right - there was not the conditions in Ireland that existed elsewhere. Many of the Jews who immigrated into Ireland in the late nineteenth century recorded a welcoming atmosphere.

When the authorities did a survey among the local communities after the Limerick fracas they found that the local rural communities around Limerick and Clare actually trusted the Jewish sellers of Catholic religious good - yes, this was one way they earned incomes - to the Christan sellers who were often cited as being 'chancy' and untrustworthy.

• Advertisement

The Limerick pogrom was local in action but received wider support than just the locality it was concerned with.

If you put it in context, the amount of support would have been small, Goldberg was very popular in Cork & eventually served as Lord Mayor. He was also well respected professionally & publically as a criminal lawyer.

So you might say who were their supporters "well there is Alfred in Stepney". There was William up in Galway too, I suppose. And Oliver J , from the midlands somewhere.

My grandfather who was from Cork was very friendly with a Jewish dentist who moved to Israel in the mid 60's and they wrote to each other until his death.

Why was that, I do not know. I would hazard a guess that Corks proximity to Cobh the largest passenger port had something to do with it.

Certainly, as Goldberg recounts in his memoirs , when he faced anti-semetism in UCC he was supported by fellow students.

What I am saying is there may have been some support for anti-semetism but in most places it was likely to be met with robust disapproval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Is this thread about Religious persecution in Ireland, or about the Limerick "Pogrom". If someone can point to centuries of actual State led oppression against Jews, then I think we could continue to concentrate no that and not on an utterly minor event in history. To put it in context, when Jews were being boycotted in Limerick, but not anywhere else, the State was still a Protestant Hegemony particularly - and for decades to come - in the Northern part, later Northern Ireland, where plenty of real violent pogroms took place, most against Catholics; and where the State actively discriminated against it's Catholic citizens in employment, housing and even voting rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Or else rename the thread to "The Limerick Pogrom"

Yahew wrote: »
    Is this thread about Religious persecution in Ireland, or about the Limerick "Pogrom". If someone can point to centuries of actual State led oppression against Jews, then I think we could continue to concentrate no that and not on an utterly minor event in history. To put it in context, when Jews were being boycotted in Limerick, but not anywhere else, the State was still a Protestant Hegemony particularly - and for decades to come - in the Northern part, later Northern Ireland, where plenty of real violent pogroms took place, most against Catholics; and where the State actively discriminated against it's Catholic citizens in employment, housing and even voting rights.

The thread is about Religous persecution in Ireland, As per post 1
    Does anyone have any other examples of this type of religious persecution in Ireland(perhaps not including 1918-1923)? Or further information on the Limerick Pogrom?
    Feel free to change the direction as it has perhaps focused too much on one minor event.

Yahew wrote: »

Thank you for introducing a context for this. Personally I think even the title of the thread is a pot boiler - and maybe meant to be so.

If you put it in context, the amount of support would have been small, Goldberg was very popular in Cork & eventually served as Lord Mayor. He was also well respected professionally & publically as a criminal lawyer.

So you might say who were their supporters "well there is Alfred in Stepney". There was William up in Galway too, I suppose. And Oliver J , from the midlands somewhere.

My grandfather who was from Cork was very friendly with a Jewish dentist who moved to Israel in the mid 60's and they wrote to each other until his death.

Why was that, I do not know. I would hazard a guess that Corks proximity to Cobh the largest passenger port had something to do with it.

Certainly, as Goldberg recounts in his memoirs , when he faced anti-semetism in UCC he was supported by fellow students.

What I am saying is there may have been some support for anti-semetism but in most places it was likely to be met with robust disapproval.

I agree, there was very little support outside of limerick for it and it is isolated in Limericks history. I dont think this type of victimisation sits easily with people in general, perhaps relating to our own history. Hence the interest in a small event like this. When De Valera realised the anti-semitism in Europe in the 1930's he protected Jewish faith in the Irish constitution. This may be more a reflection on Irish views towards this minority. And Limericks view is maybe clarified in that they renovated the Jewish cemetary in 1990 as an act of reconciliation.

The Limerick pogrom was local in action but received wider support than just the locality it was concerned with.
    I agree, there was very little support outside of limerick for it and it is isolated in Limericks history. .

So , which is your opinion?

So , which is your opinion?

it should be easier understood if you quote the full text not just picking out bit-parts out of their context.

as follows
    Quote:
    The pogrom received wide coverage and on 4 April The Times in London published a letter supporting the anti-Jewish drive. A number of English people sent moral support to the activists through the correspondence columns of the Limerick Leader. One was Alfred Walmsley of the British League of Brothers, based in Stepney. He said that he regretted that English workers had not copied the initiative taken by the citizens of Limerick. Before the year was out his organisation had fomented an ugly riot in London’s East End.
    http://www.historyireland.com/volume...atures/?id=305

i.e. support from London, etc. This is not my opinion, it is the opinion of the quoted source.

and 2
    I agree, there was very little support outside of limerick for it and it is isolated in Limericks history. I dont think this type of victimisation sits easily with people in general, perhaps relating to our own history. Hence the interest in a small event like this. When De Valera realised the anti-semitism in Europe in the 1930's he protected Jewish faith in the Irish constitution. This may be more a reflection on Irish views towards this minority. And Limericks view is maybe clarified in that they renovated the Jewish cemetary in 1990 as an act of reconciliation.

This would be more my view.

Edit.
    This should be the end of the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think it is ludicrous to start a thread about a subject as grand and widesweeping as 'Religious persecution in Ireland' and focus it so narrowly on a single isolated instance of a minor, short lived, boycott.

In the context of the Penal Laws (as pointed out in post #2) and in the context of the countless instances of actual pogrom against Catholics this seems wholly disproportionate to the overwhelming reality of actual, meaningful religious persecution in an Irish context.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    I think it is ludicrous to start a thread about a subject as grand and widesweeping as 'Religious persecution in Ireland' and focus it so narrowly on a single isolated instance of a minor, short lived, boycott.

In the context of the Penal Laws (as pointed out in post #2) and in the context of the countless instances of actual pogrom against Catholics this seems wholly disproportionate to the overwhelming reality of actual, meaningful religious persecution in an Irish context.

I agree. The pogrom was an isolated event and has been fully explored now. The thread was intended to deal with lesser known events of this nature. Feel free to expand in regard of penal laws or other events not yet mentioned.

Yes, I agree. Religious persecution in Ireland would primarily involve the denial of Catholic rights, religious, social and economic beginning with the Tudor period, through the 'Glorious Revolution' so called - and the writing out of the Catholic experience by Whig historians. Long before we had the modern day 'revisionists' we had denial on the subject of Catholic atrocities by the Whigs and their 'historical' cronies.

It is easy to forget the severity of the penal laws but anyone researching their family history can usually manage to get to 1830 -effectivelly when records began. Catholics did not have their own graveyards and that was regulated.

Hedge schools may be romanticised but they owe their origans to the regulation of schools under the Penal Laws .

Social practices and intermarriage between the faiths also began here.

The similarity with the Jews in Europe was that it was done by the state.

THE PENAL CODE
    From A Concise History of Ireland by P. W. Joyce
    683. The Irish Catholics were now crushed and dispirited; they were quite helpless, for their best men had gone to France; and all hope of resistance was at an end. They had however obtained tolerable conditions in the Treaty of Limerick; but here they were doomed to a bitter disappointment. The English parliament were not satisfied with the treaty, and in its most important provisions refused to carry it out. This greatly displeased king William, who would have faithfully adhered to the pledges, on the faith of which the Irish had surrendered Limerick.
    684. The government of Ireland was now completely in the hands of the small Protestant minority, who also possessed almost the whole of the land of the country; and they held nearly all the offices of trust or emolument. This "Protestant Ascendancy," as it is called, was confirmed by the penal legislation, now to be described.
    685. It will be convenient to bring the leading enactments of the whole penal code into this chapter, though it will oblige us to run in advance a little in point of time.
    In 1695 the English parliament, going over the head of the Irish parliament, passed an act setting aside the oath of supremacy, but substituting something much worse:—Every member of parliament, bishop, holder of any government office, lawyer, and doctor, had to take an oath of allegiance (which was unobjectionable) and also an oath of "Abjuration"—abjuring the Catholic religion: which of course would exclude Catholics from all these positions.
    686. In the same year lord Capel was appointed lord deputy; he summoned a parliament which met in Dublin on the 27th August. This parliament completed what the English parliament had begun. In violation of the Treaty of Limerick, they passed a series of penal acts in the two sessions of 1695 and 1697. The principal items of this code are the following:—
    687. Education. No Catholic was to teach school or teach scholars in private houses; no Catholic to send his child abroad to be educated. Penalty: forfeiture of all goods, and ineligibility to fill any office, such as guardian or executor, or to accept any legacy. These measures altogether deprived Catholics—as such—of education.
    688. Arms and property. All Catholics were to deliver up their arms: magistrates might break open the houses of Catholics and search for arms. But gentlemen having the benefit of the Treaty of Limerick might keep a sword, a case of pistols, and a fowling-piece. No maker of arms could take a Catholic apprentice.
    689. No Catholic to keep a horse worth more than £5 (equal about £30 of our money): if a Catholic had a valuable horse, any Protestant might take it by tendering £5.
    690. Religion. The Catholic parish clergy, i.e. the existing parish priests, were not disturbed; but all had to be registered, and should give security for good behaviour. All bishops, Jesuits, friars, and monks were ordered to quit the kingdom by the 1st of May 1698. Any who returned were guilty of high treason: punishment death. For any priest landing in Ireland, imprisonment, after which transportation to the Continent. No person to harbour or relieve any such clergy. Any priest who turned Protestant to get a pension of £30. No burials in churchyards of suppressed monasteries. No Catholic chapel to have steeple or bells.
    691. Social position. Catholics and Protestants were not to intermarry. If a Protestant woman married a Catholic, her property was forfeited to the next Protestant heir. A Protestant man who married a Catholic was to be treated as if he were himself a Catholic.
    A Catholic could not servo on a grand jury, and an attorney could not take a Catholic clerk.
    This was the first instalment of the penal code; but it was followed by much worse.
    692. In 1708 the duke of Ormond came to Ireland as lord lieutenant. The house of commons petitioned him for a further extension of the penal laws, which were brought to their extreme limit of severity, chiefly in the first years of the reign of queen Anne, and partly in the reign of George II. There was no reason for this additional legislation, for the Catholic people had been as a body quiet and submissive. The most important provisions of this "Popery act" as it was called, which became law in 1704, were these.
    693. If the eldest son of a Roman Catholic father turned Protestant, he became the owner of his father's land, and the father became merely life tenant. If any other child became Protestant, a Protestant guardian was appointed, and the father had to pay for separate maintenance and education.
    694. If the sons were all Catholics, the land was equally divided among them when the father died: this was for the purpose of gradually impoverishing and weakening the old Catholic families.
    695. The previous codes contained provisions to prevent Catholics practising as lawyers (685). The present act increased the penalty; and a subsequent act in the reign of George II. prohibited anyone from practising as a solicitor who had not been a Protestant since fourteen years of age.
    696. No Catholic could purchase land, or take a lease longer than 81 years. If land came by descent to a Catholic, or was given to him, or was left him by will, he could not accept it.
    697. No person could vote at an election, or could hold any office civil or military, without taking the oaths of allegiance and abjuration (685), and receiving the sacrament according to the English rite on Sunday. This last applied to the Presbyterians and other dissenters as well as to Catholics: but they were induced to withdraw their opposition to it by a promise that it would never be turned against them: a promise which was soon broken. The act requiring the reception of the sacrament according to the English rite is called the "Test act."
    698. No Catholic in future to come to live in Limerick or Galway: those at present living in those cities were permitted to remain, but had to give security for good behaviour.
    699. Rewards were offered for the discovery of Catholic bishops, Jesuits, unregistered priests or schoolmasters: the amount to be levied off the Catholics.
    700. In the last year of queen Anne's reign the English parliament passed the Schism act, drawn up by St. John lord Bolingbroke: it provided that no person could teach school without a license from the Protestant bishop, which could not be granted unless the applicant received the sacrament according to the rite of the established church; and this act was made to apply to Ireland.
    701. In the reign of George II. (in 1727) an act was passed directly disfranchising all Roman Catholics—depriving them of votes at elections of every kind.
    702. The Test and Schism acts were brought to bear against the Presbyterians of Ulster, who were now subjected to bitter persecution. They were expelled from Belfast and Derry, they were dismissed from the magistracy, prohibited from teaching school, their marriages were declared void, and the Regium Donum, an annual grant given by king William to their clergy, was stopped for the time. But these sturdy people never in the least yielded.
    There were many other similar provisions in the "Popery act" and in the others.
    703. The earl of Wharton, who came over as lord lieutenant in 1709, attempted to have the Test act repealed —the great grievance of the Presbyterians—so as to unite all denominations of Protestants against the Catholics; but he was not able to have this done.
    704. Ever since the conclusion of the war the country swarmed with bands of young men belonging to the dispossessed families, who lived among the mountains and bogs and made plundering raids on the settlers at every opportunity. These were called rapparees and tories. Numerous privateers, manned by the same classes, also hovered round the coasts with commissions from James II. and committed great havoc.
    The rapparees and tories were outlawed; and in 1697 the Rapparee act was passed for their suppression. But it had little effect, and for many years the country continued to be unsettled and disturbed.

http://www.libraryireland.com/JoyceHistory/Penal.php

What began as the law may have become social practice and tradition and culture.

Did it export ? Well yes .

It did to the USA and it was 1960 before a Catholic was elected US President.

The Ku Klux Klan has/had anti-catholic policies and beliefs.

I imagine if we looked at the early USA we would find it.

Was it applied uniformly to Dissenters i.e. Presbyterians & Methodists and Quakers ?.

Cos at one stage you had Anglicans vs Catholics and Dissenters and it evolved into Protestants (Anglicans & Dissenters) vs Catholics . How ?

The laws became social practice and culture and your average Irish Catholic became an uneducated peasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

What began as the law may have become social practice and tradition and culture.

Chicken and egg. The law also reflects tradition and culture. Back then, of course, it was the tradition and culture of the elite who had access to power.
    Did it export ? Well yes .

It did to the USA and it was 1960 before a Catholic was elected US President.

The Ku Klux Klan has/had anti-catholic policies and beliefs.

I imagine if we looked at the early USA we would find it.

Anti-Catholic attitudes in the US probably owed something to the Ulster Scots who migrated there in large numbers, but there were also other groups who brought such sentiments with them. And I suspect that anti-Catholicism in the US might have taken on a life of its own.
    Was it applied uniformly to Dissenters i.e. Presbyterians & Methodists and Quakers ?.

Cos at one stage you had Anglicans vs Catholics and Dissenters and it evolved into Protestants (Anglicans & Dissenters) vs Catholics . How ?

Mostly 1798, I understand. It didn't help that the Wexford people seemed not to discriminate between different types of Protestant when doing some killing.
    The laws became social practice and culture and your average Irish Catholic became an uneducated peasant.

Agreed.

Anti-Catholic attitudes in the US probably owed something to the Ulster Scots who migrated there in large numbers, but there were also other groups who brought such sentiments with them. And I suspect that anti-Catholicism in the US might have taken on a life of its own.

In New York you have different "classes" of Jews based on European country of origan. The Germans were the top AFAIK.

Were the Ulster Scots Dissenters ?

And did you not have anti-Catholic attitudes in Europe too - it wasn't just the Irish & British that went to the USA .

Mostly 1798, I understand. It didn't help that the Wexford people seemed not to discriminate between different types of Protestant when doing some killing.

Did the Penal Laws differentiate between its treatment of Catholics & Dissenters. Did it introduce a "caste" type system ?

... Were the Ulster Scots Dissenters ?

That is my understanding, although I cannot off the top of my head cite a source. There is an image out there in the ether (it is mostly the genealogical ether that I have been inhaling) that they were fleeing religious discrimination. I think there was some identification with the Pilgrim Fathers.

Did the Penal Laws differentiate between its treatment of Catholics & Dissenters. Did it introduce a "caste" type system ?

I think the answer is yes and no. It looks to me as if the penal laws were generally devised as anti-Popery measures, but they explicitly refer to the established church (or sometimes imply it) rather than to a broader class of Protestantism.

So dissenters were collateral damage.

There is a listing of statutes, with their key clauses quoted, here: http://library.law.umn.edu/irishlaw/subjectlist.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Ulster Scots were generally Presbytarian, which would have been classed as dissenters.

The penal laws were never designed to be anti Irish and they certainly were not unique to Ireland. They were more to do with assuring where the allegiances of the ruling classes lay.

If you were poor they probably didn't affect you a great deal as Catholic, Anglican and methodist peasants had no rights whatsoever.

If you are going to look at the Penal laws, then the climate in europe also needs to be taken into consideration.

The penal laws were never designed to be anti Irish and they certainly were not unique to Ireland. They were more to do with assuring where the allegiances of the ruling classes lay.

I think that is true. But over the years they have come to be seen as anti-Irish. It's part of that late nineteenth re-interpretation of Irishness as being Catholic and Gaelic which resulted in the rejection of the former ruling classes as being part of "us, the Irish".
    If you were poor they probably didn't affect you a great deal as Catholic, Anglican and methodist peasants had no rights whatsoever.

True, to an extent, but it must be borne in mind that there are degrees of poverty, and those of modest means might have had the reasonable expectation of having some rights and mechanisms for vindicating them, and there was some limited social mobility possible which was denied to Catholics and dissenters.

As the nineteenth century progressed, the expectation of all people acquiring rights increased, and the residual effect of the Penal Laws was a problem. The Catholic Emancipation movement was the inevitable product of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Thank you for introducing a context for this. Personally I think even the title of the thread is a pot boiler - and maybe meant to be so.

Totally agreed - but I suppose now we will be accused of a " witchhunt " for questioning so. Would we have a better chance of a decent history discussion thread over on the A & H forum ?

Advertisement