Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated Dog Kennels

• 20-01-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I heard from a friend that a Hunt near her (Cork) has applied for planning permission for an 'Automated Dog Kennel' to house thier pack of hounds.

I've done a google search and it appears to be a sort of slatted unit where each dog is kept in an individual crate with a slatted bottom for the waste to fall through and has an automatic feed bowl/water bowl. Units typically hold 30 to 50 hounds.

Human interaction amounts to a person coming once or twice a week to check on things.

I know hunting hounds aren't pets, I'm no fan of fox hunting, but surely this is a whole new level of animal cruelty?

Has anyone else come across this type of unit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Ponder013 wrote: »
    I heard from a friend that a Hunt near her (Cork) has applied for planning permission for an 'Automated Dog Kennel' to house thier pack of hounds.

I've done a google search and it appears to be a sort of slatted unit where each dog is kept in an individual crate with a slatted bottom for the waste to fall through and has an automatic feed bowl/water bowl. Units typically hold 30 to 50 hounds.

Human interaction amounts to a person coming once or twice a week to check on things.

I know hunting hounds aren't pets, I'm no fan of fox hunting, but surely this is a whole new level of animal cruelty?

Few things come to mind on this; Firstly, I assume the Human interaction is probably the minimum amount required. You'd think/hope that it would be more often.

Secondly, as pet lovers we hate seeing dogs being kept like this as we have them as pets in our house and as part of our family. But we are now only trying to eradicate factory hens and non free range animals. A lot of the times farm stock are kept in conditions similar to this and it is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

its very unlikely that these dogs would only be visited once or twice a week, any dog for hunting needs to be very well trained and used to the handler, excercise is a huge part of it, the auto kennels will just cut down on feeding times and cleaning

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

jap gt wrote: »
    its very unlikely that these dogs would only be visited once or twice a week, any dog for hunting needs to be very well trained and used to the handler, excercise is a huge part of it, the auto kennels will just cut down on feeding times and cleaning

This was my first thoughts on this also. I'm not sure about the automatic feeding, it sounds like something that could get jammed up an awful lot but automatic water drinkers are a great idea, I'm sure there are rescues that would use a system like this if they could afford it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

How do you know they are fox hunting?

It sounds similar to systems used by top end stable yards in the states, not entirely sure how it works but they have a 'skin' which allows wet through and goes into some sort of sewage system. It just makes maintenance that bit easier and is a lot more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »

:eek: :eek: I wonder if that's what they are building? That's completely disgusting!!! :mad:

That's the only *automated dog kennel* I could find, the rest just referred to automated feeders. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I've actually seen something similar before used to house Mastiffs-- was only there briefly (friend of a friend's), but from what I saw of it it looked quite.. cruel, really. Dogs are highly intelligent animals, it just seems really inhumane to keep them like that. The individual kennels I saw were about 1.5m x 3m (there were about 20 of them) which seems waaaay too small for most dogs, nevermind Mastiffs-- what are the measurements for the one in the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

How do you know they are fox hunting?

They are the South Coast Hunt - Fox Hunting is what they do, you generally keep fox hounds to hunt foxes... ;)

I haven't seen the plans but my friend has, they state the unit will be 'unmanned' but supervised by a kennel hand two to three times per week.

From What I know of hunting packs, human interaction is pretty thin on the ground anyway. from what I understand, the hounds are only exercised when they are hunting. there is no training involved, the dogs are used for their instincts, the younger ones learn from the older ones.

These dogs aren't like retrievers or other hunting dogs that work for thier owner and are very well trained. They have only one task, to sniff out a fox and lead the horses and riders to it.

I know from a friend in the rescue business that hounds are very rarely suitable for rehoming, they are not pets, are not used to human interaction.

Thanks for the link, that's the only one I found too, not much info available on the net - I might see about having a look at the plans in the county hall.

The local *guy* here chains young dogs to experienced ones to *teach* them. :(

I have taken in quite a few Foxhound and Foot Beagle and yes, they do take a bit more work than your *normal* dog but are re-homeable with a bit of work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Sounds horrible, the patent linked is from the 1970's I hope its not the same one. I know hounds are taken out on excerise to keep them fit as it fitness doesn't happen over night.

I couldn't find anything for south coast hunt, are they a registered pack?

I found a south union foxhounds in Cork.

http://www.irishhounds.ie/
    http://www.hai.ie/

They are the South Coast Hunt - Fox Hunting is what they do, you generally keep fox hounds to hunt foxes... ;)

According to the Hunting Association of Ireland there is no such thing as the South Coast Hunt :confused:, also not all clubs hunt live quarry ;)
    From What I know of hunting packs, human interaction is pretty thin on the ground anyway. from what I understand, the hounds are only exercised when they are hunting. there is no training involved, the dogs are used for their instincts, the younger ones learn from the older ones.

Not where I come from :confused:
    Thanks for the link, that's the only one I found too, not much info available on the net - I might see about having a look at the plans in the county hall.

Would love to know the outcome of this, you would think hunting clubs have enough opposition already without someone building this 'contraption' for want of a better word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarahq1980

According to the Hunting Association of Ireland there is no such thing as the South Coast Hunt :confused:, also not all clubs hunt live quarry ;)

Not where I come from :confused:

Would love to know the outcome of this, you would think hunting clubs have enough opposition already without someone building this 'contraption' for want of a better word.

we have automatic drinkers and feeders with our dogs and there great, did freeze in the heavy frost but apart from that no probs, i recon the hunt club knows how to care and train there dogs, the reason we have auto drinkers is to save time washing and refilling bowls , this leaves more time to interact 1 on `1 with your pets
    www.dog-runs.ie do the auto drinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

sarahq1980 wrote: »
    i recon the hunt club knows how to care and train there dogs, the reason we have auto drinkers is to save time washing and refilling bowls , this leaves more time to interact 1 on `1 with your pets
    www.dog-runs.ie do the auto drinkers

I would have serious doubts over a hunt kennel having any real welfare agenda. What happens to the dogs that get injured or are too old to hunt ?. I think that we can guess the answer.

Auto drinkers will be very prone to freezing & depending on how they are supplied, the water may hardly be fresh. Do the Auto feeders supply a set amount every few hours ?. Again this is ripe for causing potential problems.

More time to interact ?. Feeding a dog is one of the most important interactions that you can have. We are not referring to Pets here but to a "sub species" - the working dog, which is kept for one specific purpose & is denied many of the basic canine necessities.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Discodog wrote: »
    I would have serious doubts over a hunt kennel having any real welfare agenda. What happens to the dogs that get injured or are too old to hunt ?. I think that we can guess the answer.

I think thats unfair to hunters to be honest and is a fairly generalising statement.

It also stinks of anti-hunting propaganda.

Anyone I know involved in hunting treats their animals quite well whether they are pack dogs or single dogs.

I agree that there may be some bad seeds involved in hunting and who may mistreat their animals but you really cant generalise with a statement like the above.

I used the term "hunt kennel" meaning a kennel holding a pack of hounds for a specific hunt. It is perfectly clear that I am referring to hunts & not individuals who use their dogs for hunting eg as gun dogs.

What do you think happens to these dogs when they can no longer hunt or are surplus to requirements ?. Have you ever seen a hunt trying to rehome these dogs ?. Some rescues have made wonderful efforts & proved that it can be done but the hunts don't try.

If I posted here that my dog was getting too old to run with the others, on a walk, & that I was getting it PTS purely for that reason I would be rightly vilified.

I don't peddle propaganda as well you know but maybe "anti- hunting propaganda" is just people expressing views that you disagree with. Are you now going to argue that any view opposing hunting is just propaganda ?.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I used the term "hunt kennel" meaning a kennel holding a pack of hounds for a specific hunt. It is perfectly clear that I am referring to hunts & not individuals who use their dogs for hunting eg as gun dogs.

Oooh looks like I hit a nerve did I?I couldnt care less whether you are talking about one dog or a pack of 50.Its the whole generalising that made me reply.

What do you think happens to these dogs when they can no longer hunt or are surplus to requirements ?.

As I said maybe youre right and maybe not but stop generalising about hunters.
    Have you ever seen a hunt trying to rehome these dogs ?
    I have seen hunting dogs rehomed as pets,maybe not pack animals but definately hunting dogs.

If I posted here that my dog was getting too old to run with the others, on a walk, & that I was getting it PTS purely for that reason I would be rightly vilified.

And rightly so.But Ive been reading a fair bit in the hunting forum lately and it seems like a lot of them look after their animals quite well.

I don't peddle propaganda as well you know but maybe "anti- hunting propaganda" is just people expressing views that you disagree with.

Thats crap and you know it.I used to sound exactly the way youre going on about hunting but in all fairness while I dont agree completely with hunting I can see their side of it which is a lot more than animal activists see.

Are you now going to argue that any view opposing hunting is just propaganda ?.

Maybe propaganda was the wrong word to use--So let me explain it better.Animal welfare activists only see an argument from their point of view and in all fairness thats a very blinkered view to have.

I generalised about hunt kennels & I am perfectly justified in doing so until someone provides evidence to the contrary. I appreciate that you have often read & posted in the hunting forum (your recipe for cooking a cat is hilarious) & of course some "hunters" look after their dogs, especially trained gun dogs. However plenty do not as you will see by the number of ex-coursing dogs that end up in rescues.

How is your post not pro-hunting propaganda ?. Yes there are two sides & one could equally argue that some hunters only see their own point of view. I have always encouraged opposing views & welcome hunters posting here.

No you didn't hit a nerve so please don't flatter yourself.

I generalised about hunt kennels & I am perfectly justified in doing so until someone provides evidence to the contrary.
    While I cant provide evidence to the contrary--can you provide evidence that this is actually taking place??
    I appreciate that you have often read & posted in the hunting forum
    Em--two posts.I do read it a fair bit though and have hunted in the past with rifles.
    (your recipe for cooking a cat is hilarious)
    It was an April Fools day joke.Still funny though!!!

& of course some "hunters" look after their dogs, especially trained gun dogs.
    Probably more so than some do gooder pet owners.
    However plenty do not as you will see by the number of ex-coursing dogs that end up in rescues.

Agreed but I do think that situation is changing for the betterment of the animals with rescues getting more involved in the rescue of greyhounds etc.
    How is your post not pro-hunting propaganda ?
    Maybe it is.But Ive already said I shouldnt have used the word "propaganda".

Yes there are two sides & one could equally argue that some hunters only see their own point of view. I have always encouraged opposing views & welcome hunters posting here.

Well I agree on that one.
    No you didn't hit a nerve so please don't flatter yourself.
    That was also a joke--no need to be so defensive!!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    While I cant provide evidence to the contrary--can you provide evidence that this is actually taking place??

The Canine Defence League now better known as the Dogs Trust made a submission regarding the UK hunting bill.

http://www.huntinginquiry.gov.uk/evidence/ncdl.htm

A Foxhound is killed at between 5 & 6 years old. There are 41 packs of Foxhounds in Ireland so, based on the CDL figures, that equates to about 3,300 dogs. Every year these dogs are killed & replaced by younger dogs purely for "sport".

Why do you think that the Hunts lobbied so hard for exclusion from the Dog Breeding Bill & will also seek exclusions from any Animal Welfare Bill ?.

Every dog deserves to be able to live out it's natural life. Why should Hunts be exempt from the obligations of dog ownership ?.

Regarding Greyhounds the figures have shown that approx 12,000 Irish Greyhounds go missing every year. No amount of rescue or IGB propaganda can account for such a huge number & this excludes the Lurchers & non registered Greyhounds.

http://www.sighthoundwelfaretrust.org.uk/info.php?in_id=48

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

I couldn't find anything for south coast hunt, are they a registered pack?

I found a south union foxhounds in Cork.

Sorry, my mistake, I knew there was a 'South' in there (I had to look them up as well. I sent them a nice email enquiry, but for some reason they haven't had a chance to reply yet.)

I meant the South Union Foxhounds, they operate in and around Carrigaline and a nicer bunch of people you couldn't hope to meet... I'm sure.

Apologies for the error and thanks for pointing it out.

Advertisement