Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What defines an 'Irishman' in context of upcoming centenaries

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Would you link the "traditional teaching of irish history' with the Gaelic league revival?

I wasn't there and don't know what they were smoking.:p

It dates from that but they didn't have what we have to research.

The late great F.S.L Lyons footnoted like a mad thing and really inspired me to have a go at a footnote of his on a guy John Jinks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056064820

All I can say is that going thru my family history and local & regional histories the traditional teaching does not match what I have sourced in documents etc going way back. So I knew what to look for.

Other's in other locations write the same. Academics such as Bannasidhe say it.

So the history as taught to me was very biased and a lot of it was not true and for whatever reason had a spin on it.

I am not an academic but when I pulled together my Patrick Pearse sources to criticize Ruth Dudley Edwards type material I had to go back to basics and away from the traditional approach. My material was bits and pieces I had come across on church altars, art etc and you couldn't tackle RDE without having the basics right and they were not available in the traditional histories.

Now if people can't get Pearse right and he is not even 100 years dead there is something wrong.

That's the challenge in history. Uncover a fact and a source and put it up there.

Back to Francis Lyons who died in 1983 - he didn't have a pc or the internet when doing "Ireland Since the Famine" and I don't know if he intentionally set out to make people more inquisitive with his anecdotes and footnotes.

We can always differ on interpretation but you can only do that if you are sure of the facts. Otherwise its just chatter and not history

http://puesoccurrences.com/tag/f-s-l-lyons/

Its like James Connolly being Catholic and I am satisfied he was. A political history will airbrush it out but if you don't include it you don't know Connolly and you cross the makey upey line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

CDfm wrote: »
    To recap- the traditional teaching of irish history does not acknowledge the actuality..

Brian Boru's era Ireland 150 tuath/tribes autonomous with their tribal allegience the most important part of their identity.

Questionable. It's like saying that a Kerry or Tipperary person's county allegience is the most important part of their identity in today's world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Questionable. It's like saying that a Kerry or Tipperary person's county allegience is the most important part of their identity in today's world.
    Are you suggesting that there was a sense of Irish identity 1,000 years ago, and that it was the primary focus of allegiance?

I don't buy it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The thing about loyalty to one place or group, is that it only exists in contrast to loyalty to another place or group.
    A man's parish could be the most important place on earth, if it was competing with another parish.
    On the day of a football final, it's a safe bet that a Kerryman would consider Kerry the most important place on earth.

Put either man in a fight for the Irish nation, and those petty loyalties would matter not a jot.

By extension, folks who view Ireland as being in a state of perpetual conflict/competition with Britain, are always going to see Irish identity as being a construct of defiance of the neighbours.
    Those who don't see the neighbours so negatively have, I believe, a much richer view of Irish identity.
    Uniquely Irish qualities can be celebrated - without being constrained by having to select only those qualities which are thought to be defiant.

Its not today we are talking about.

An understanding of it does allow a better interpretation of the subsequent conquest of Ireland and how some Irish Chieftain's and their heirs managed to hold on to their lands and get titles and stuff.

The tuath sort of correspond to baronies.

Take the Young Irelander William Smith O' Brien second son of the Baronet of Dromoland and decendant of Brian Boru. Smith was his mothers name which he took and inherited her estate.

I don't expect you to believe me but how do you explain families like his or the (Daniel) O'Connell's from Derrynane Co Kerry so ?

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    The thing about loyalty to one place or group, is that it only exists in contrast to loyalty to another place or group.
    A man's parish could be the most important place on earth, if it was competing with another parish.
    On the day of a football final, it's a safe bet that a Kerryman would consider Kerry the most important place on earth.

Put either man in a fight for the Irish nation, and those petty loyalties would matter not a jot.

By extension, folks who view Ireland as being in a state of perpetual conflict/competition with Britain, are always going to see Irish identity as being a construct of defiance of the neighbours.
    Those who don't see the neighbours so negatively have, I believe, a much richer view of Irish identity.
    Uniquely Irish qualities can be celebrated - without being constrained by having to select only those qualities which are thought to be defiant.
    Didn't exactly see thousands waving union jacks when the queen was here (except maybe 'rebel' Cork where Cork city council handed out wee flags to the school kids and told them to wave them :) ) or a big rush to join the commonwealth.

Didn't exactly see thousands waving union jacks when the queen was here (except maybe 'rebel' Cork where Cork city council handed out wee flags to the school kids and told them to wave them :) ) or a big rush to join the commonwealth.

Picking on Cork again.

Just in case Bannasidhe missed it I am going to point out how you likened her fellow Corkwomen Anna Haslam and Hannah Sheehy to jedward.

DeValera thought the Commonwealth might have been a platform for the unification of Ireland.

And the flags were they waving "Jackeens" ? :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Picking on Cork again.

Just in case Bannasidhe missed it I am going to point out how you likened her fellow Corkwomen Anna Haslam and Hannah Sheehy to jedward.

DeValera thought the Commonwealth might have been a platform for the unification of Ireland.

And the flags were they waving "Jackeens" ? :eek:

Sure us Cork people are secure enough in our identity that we don't feel threatened by a biteen of flag waving at a foreign head of State when they come visiting. If Sarky came we'd wave the tricoleur at him just as happily.

It's not our fault that Dublin only became an Irish city for the first time ever in 1922 but can understand if Dubs are a bit sensitive about this fact.
    I mean - Cork wasn't even part of the Lordship of Ireland - unlike Leinster, Dublin and Meath :p.

Picking on Cork again.

And the flags were they waving "Jackeens" ? eek.gif
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sure us Cork people are secure enough in our identity that we don't feel threatened by a biteen of flag waving at a foreign head of State when they come visiting. If Sarky came we'd wave the tricoleur at him just as happily.

It's not our fault that Dublin only became an Irish city for the first time ever in 1922 but can understand if Dubs are a bit sensitive about this fact.
    I mean - Cork wasn't even part of the Lordship of Ireland - unlike Leinster, Dublin and Meath :p.

:rolleyes: .... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Only one of the 3 places highlighted was chosen by the High Kings of Ireland as their base (please no explanation of this being wrong!).
    Up the Royals.

• Advertisement

Only one of the 3 places highlighted was chosen by the High Kings of Ireland as their base (please no explanation of this being wrong!).
    Up the Royals.

Lets see, Leinster King invites the British in.

A Corkman got them out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Lets see, Leinster King invites the British in.

A Corkman got them out :cool:

T'wouldn't see to many High kings down there though. I'll bite my lip on the football analogies...., its not my strong point though(biting lip).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Up the Royals.
    But you are missing the fact that earlier (225 AD), Maximus, Roman consul of Britain, established Tara as the meeting place of the five warring Irish kings.
    Of course, Maximus arrived in Ireland at Wicklow, through the auspices of the bauld Tuathal Tectmar (the original O'Toole).
    Wicklow therefore, can justifiably claim the honour of establishing Tara.
    Wicklow was far too busy to be bothered with all that Kingship stuff and magnanimously decided to let impoverished Meath take the glory :p

Up Wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

But you are missing the fact that earlier (225 AD), Maximus, Roman consul of Britain, established Tara as the meeting place of the five warring Irish kings.
    Of course, Maximus arrived in Ireland at Wicklow, through the auspices of the bauld Tuathal Tectmar (the original O'Toole).
    Wicklow therefore, can justifiably claim the honour of establishing Tara.
    Wicklow was far too busy to be bothered with all that Kingship stuff and magnanimously decided to let impoverished Meath take the glory :p

Up Wicklow!

Tuathal Teachtmar is of the Connachta though (grandfather of Conn). The Ó Tuathal in comparison are descended from Tuathal, son of Ughaire, King of the Laighin (Leinster) who died in 956. Of course their dynastical name was "Uí Muireadhaigh" and they were actually from what is now Kildare, only been forced into Wicklow with arrival of Cambro-Normans.

Here's a early genealogy (from the 12th century)
    Tadc m. Dúnlaing mc Augaire m. Donnchada m. Lorccáin m. Augaire m. Thuathail m. Dúnlaing m. Thuathail m. Augaire m. Ailella m. Dúnlaing m. Muiredaig m. Bráen [Ardchenn] m. Muiredaig m. Murchada m. Bráen (d. 693)

dubhthach wrote: »
    Tuathal Teachtmar is of the Connachta though (grandfather of Conn). The Ó Tuathal in comparison are descended from Tuathal, son of Ughaire, King of the Laighin (Leinster) who died in 956. Of course their dynastical name was "Uí Muireadhaigh" and they were actually from what is now Kildare, only been forced into Wicklow with arrival of Cambro-Normans.

Here's a early genealogy (from the 12th century)
    Tadc m. Dúnlaing mc Augaire m. Donnchada m. Lorccáin m. Augaire m. Thuathail m. Dúnlaing m. Thuathail m. Augaire m. Ailella m. Dúnlaing m. Muiredaig m. Bráen [Ardchenn] m. Muiredaig m. Murchada m. Bráen (d. 693)
    Interesting stuff. Interesting times. Bloody difficult though.
    Even the language seems inapproachable.

This volume claims a direct link.
    Mind you, this same source refers to him as 'Tuathal the Prosperous' - everywhere else he seems to be 'Tuathal the Illegitimate'.
    Wishful thinking perhaps.
    199638.png

I happen to have a hard copy which also has the genealogies of the O'Byrnes and more, if anyone is interested.
    The diagrammatic genealogies in the online version are illegible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Interesting stuff. Interesting times. Bloody difficult though.
    Even the language seems inapproachable.

Well the genealogy above is written in "Middle Irish" m. is shorthand for mac thus it's a list of first names showing who was son of who.

eg. Thuathail mac Augaire mac Ailella mac Dúnlaing

It's kinda like looking at Chaucer and finding "Middle English" inapproachable, it takes a bit of work. That particular text is from a manuscript known as:
    Oxford, Bodleian Library, Rawlinson B 502 (it's kept in Bodleian library in University of Oxford). It dates from around 1100-1150AD, some have identified it as been the "Book of Glendalough"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodleian_Library,_MS_Rawlinson_B_502

Leinster was considerably smaller then the modern province boundaries.

leinster.gif

The leinster O'Byrnes (there are others unrelated) are members of the Uí Fáeláin who are closely related to the Uí Muireadhaigh (O'Tooles) as both belong to wider Uí Dúnlainge dynastical grouping among the Laighin (leinstermen). They actually claim descent from Cathair Mór -- who took the "High-Kingship" (in the pseudo-history) after the death of Tuathal Teachtmar son (Fedlimid Rechtmar) and who in turn was killed in battle been succeeded by Conn (of hundred battles).

Advertisement