Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Bulls should just pack it in.

Thunder can come to Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just watched the full end of hogans sequence in the Mavs Grizz game. Grayson Allen (shooting 91% from the line this season) missed 2 FTs with 2.2 seconds left, then Luka hits a crazy off balance 3 to win it at the buzzer.

Whilst I do love Luka, the rule where you can advance the ball 3/4s of the court by calling a time out is just wrong IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Just watched the full end of hogans sequence in the Mavs Grizz game. Grayson Allen (shooting 91% from the line this season) missed 2 FTs with 2.2 seconds left, then Luka hits a crazy off balance 3 to win it at the buzzer.

Whilst I do love Luka, the rule where you can advance the ball 3/4s of the court by calling a time out is just wrong IMO.

Doncic is unreal though if he had two all stars with him on the mavs I would fancy them to get to conference finals this year. Porzingis has gone back a bit since his Knicks days, but Luka is the best young player I have seen since LeBron in 03

• Registered Users Posts: 19,900 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

2smiggy wrote: »

Jesus. Came on to post this. He’s been playing very well for Brooklyn since he joined. So sad things are ending this way for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Looking forward to the Clippers and 76ers.

CHOO-CHOO 76ERS ALL THE WAY TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Corvo

Looking forward to the Clippers and 76ers.

CHOO-CHOO 76ERS ALL THE WAY TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

I don’t think there’s any stopping Embild. Whether the rest of the team show up in the play offs will be vital. The inevitable game against the Nets will be circled on my calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 37,450 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Corvo wrote:
    I don’t think there’s any stopping Embild. Whether the rest of the team show up in the play offs will be vital. The inevitable game against the Nets will be circled on my calendar
    He's turning into a phemom, seemed to go to a different level again in the playoffs last season, no stopping the man.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He's turning into a phemom, seemed to go to a different level again in the playoffs last season, no stopping the man.

You mean when they got swept by Boston?

He’s playing incredibly well, but how far Philly goes depends on Simmons, Harris et al, not on Embiid.

Not hating btw, I’ve placed money on Embiid to be MVP, but I still have my doubts about Philly, esp. v the Bucks and the Nets.

You mean when they got swept by Boston?
    Yes, he was incredible in that series, unfortunately for him the rest were poor.
    He’s playing incredibly well, but how far Philly goes depends on Simmons, Harris et al, not on Embiid.
    Yes, it's a team game, there is no player that can donut in his own.
    Not hating btw, I’ve placed money on Embiid to be MVP, but I still have my doubts about Philly, esp. v the Bucks and the Nets.
    I like his chances, it's been impossible for him on a poor enough team the last couple of years but the season they have a real decent team.
    Kind of a bit like Beal, if he had a team around him he'd have to be a first team all-star I think.

• Advertisement

Boston have quietly been getting very good at the right time lately. They’re 9-3 since the trade deadline, which seems to have gone completely under the radar.

Dallas slipping a little lately and really likely have lost the chance to catch the lakers, which is a shame as they have them at gone twice this week or next from memory. Win both of those however and we have a race.

Portland too have missed chances to close the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When Zion sees the basket he becomes a fcuking heat seeking missile.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

pjohnson wrote: »
    When Zion sees the basket he becomes a fcuking heat seeking missile.

If he develops some sort of a shot he's going to be a nightmare.

Steph again, unreal. He’s on some run since Weisman went out. And yet still creating for others. Imagine if he was gunning, and Kerr wasn’t taking him out of games?

If any of you have the Disney channel/app they’ve added a load of documentaries under the Star Channel, incl. The Fab Five and Jordan Rides the Bus.

I know most of you regulars here will have seen them but maybe some haven’t. The 30 for 30 documentaries are always good no matter what the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,900 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Celtics were missing a few last night, but a bad loss against the Bulls. Especially with the other teams close to them all picking up wins recently.

I saw a line somewhere this morning that on this current 11 game run Steph has made more 3s than every other NBA team (team! Not player!) with the exception of Dallas.

I haven’t checked it, but if that is true, it’s just insane, esp. as you consider how many threes are being shot now

The tear he's on at the moment is obscene, even for him. A great stat I saw earlier was that it he shot 500 more 3s from now, bricked every one he'd still have a better 3p% than Ray Allen.

I still find it hard to warm to watching him play. There have been several players with cheat codes abilities in the league and you just to have to accept it when they wreck your team and smile. It is the same with Steph but I just get so annoyed by it compared to when other all time greats go off on one. When he's feeling it and he's spamming the behind the back and throwing it up from deep and swishing it over and over it is the most infuriating thing ever.

He's obviously changed the league and the game, and for the better in my opinion but I do wonder if the game continues to go down the line of chucking threes will my enjoyment for the game continue to dwindle. I support the Hawks and Trae is a great player and our key to success but he'd be last on the starting 5 of my favourite players to watch.

Coneygree wrote: »
    The tear he's on at the moment is obscene, even for him. A great stat I saw earlier was that it he shot 500 more 3s from now, bricked every one he'd still have a better 3p% than Ray Allen.

I still find it hard to warm to watching him play. There have been several players with cheat codes abilities in the league and you just to have to accept it when they wreck your team and smile. It is the same with Steph but I just get so annoyed by it compared to when other all time greats go off on one. When he's feeling it and he's spamming the behind the back and throwing it up from deep and swishing it over and over it is the most infuriating thing ever.

He's obviously changed the league and the game, and for the better in my opinion but I do wonder if the game continues to go down the line of chucking threes will my enjoyment for the game continue to dwindle. I support the Hawks and Trae is a great player and our key to success but he'd be last on the starting 5 of my favourite players to watch.

I need to sit down before I reply to that fully. You’re entitled to your opinion but just wow at so much of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying Curry draining contested three pointers upsets you? If he was inside the line would it be better? Do you think Steph spends the game hammering up 3s and nothing else?

I just cant make sense of any of your post to be honest.

• Advertisement

Gregk961 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying Curry draining contested three pointers upsets you? If he was inside the line would it be better? Do you think Steph spends the game hammering up 3s and nothing else?

I just cant make sense of any of your post to be honest.

It's nothing to do with me not appreciating Curry or how he gets his stats. He's one of the best 20-30 players ever, what he did for the prime Warriors was incredible and nobody in recent times has has changed the game like him, however he would be well down the league in players I enjoy watching. He's a great player, a great shooter and a great playmaker, I just can't warm to him. Seeing Kawhi, Durant, LeBron, Harden et al. wreck your team is never a nice sight but I enjoy watching those players go about it. I appreciate Steph no less than them but I just don't enjoy watching him do so. And when players are on fire nobody tilts me more than Steph, which is probably more of a compliment than an insult. Lillard is another example. Great player, just don't enjoy watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭nerd69

Iv no idea how you can enjoy watching harden more than steph tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

It's nothing to do with me not appreciating Curry or how he gets his stats. He's one of the best 20-30 players ever, what he did for the prime Warriors was incredible and nobody in recent times has has changed the game like him, however he would be well down the league in players I enjoy watching. He's a great player, a great shooter and a great playmaker, I just can't warm to him. Seeing Kawhi, Durant, LeBron, Harden et al. wreck your team is never a nice sight but I enjoy watching those players go about it. I appreciate Steph no less than them but I just don't enjoy watching him do so. And when players are on fire nobody tilts me more than Steph, which is probably more of a compliment than an insult. Lillard is another example. Great player, just don't enjoy watching him.

Yeah I just plain dont agree on this one! I cant figure how anybody can like basketball but not enjoy Curry.

I kind of get what he is saying. It's like I live players who go to the basket hard. Zion is so entertaining for me.
    I appreciate Steph too and look on in awe at what he does but I do get more entertainment from a Jordan, Kobe, Lebron who go hard to the basket.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Iv no idea how you can enjoy watching harden more than steph tbh

This x 1000. There was one day a couple of years ago and Harden and Curry both went for 50+on the same day. Harden was some of the most boring basketball you could imagine. Steph's by comparison was a joy to watch.

I will never get the hatred from Steph - mainly from LeBron stans, and other players. His movement is a joy to behold, he is a team player (despite the individual stats), and always plays with a smile on his face. The only thing I dislike about his game is the goofy dancing.

For such a relatively small guy his driving ability is incredible, as is his handle. His passing is also elite. He's so much more than just a shooter.

I honestly cannot understand how anyone who likes basketball could not like watching Steph Curry play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Knicks are on an eight game win streak, and are up to fourth in the conference.

I don't know why Brooklyn are favourite to win it all with bookmakers this year, yes they have 3 of the Top 10 players in the NBA but they have all had injury or personal issues this year.

I can't see anyone but the Lakers winning this year. Drummond is a serious addition a younger more mobile version of Dwight last year. You have the sixth man of the year in Harrell and Dennis was the year before I think?

Say Brooklyn and the Lakers get to the finals..who picks up who and what two matchups decides the series?..

jk23 wrote: »
    I don't know why Brooklyn are favourite to win it all with bookmakers this year, yes they have 3 of the Top 10 players in the NBA but they have all had injury or personal issues this year.

I can't see anyone but the Lakers winning this year. Drummond is a serious addition a younger more mobile version of Dwight last year. You have the sixth man of the year in Harrell and Dennis was the year before I think?

Say Brooklyn and the Lakers get to the finals..who picks up who and what two matchups decides the series?..

Bookies being bookies, they have to err on the side of caution. Yes, there are lots of reasons to think the Nets will fail, but the simple fact is that if all 3 get fit and click to any certain extent then it’s over.

If I had 10 grand now would I place it on the Nets? No. I think Philly can cause problems, so can the Bucks and if they have to go through two gruelling series with both then they still probably have to face a fully revamped Lakers or a Clippers side out to prove something.

Corvo wrote: »
    Bookies being bookies, they have to err on the side of caution. Yes, there are lots of reasons to think the Nets will fail, but the simple fact is that if all 3 get fit and click to any certain extent then it’s over.

If I had 10 grand now would I place it on the Nets? No. I think Philly can cause problems, so can the Bucks and if they have to go through two gruelling series with both then they still probably have to face a fully revamped Lakers or a Clippers side out to prove something.

I can see Philly beating them in 6/7 just because they have no one to guard Embiid and they have underrated shooters in Green, Curry and Korkmaz....

Any chance of an upset in the West? I like Utah but they always come up small in the playoffs even though they have a nicely balanced roster...

• Advertisement

jk23 wrote: »
    I can see Philly beating them in 6/7 just because they have no one to guard Embiid and they have underrated shooters in Green, Curry and Korkmaz....

Any chance of an upset in the West? I like Utah but they always come up small in the playoffs even though they have a nicely balanced roster...

I love Embild. I think he’ll rip them to shreds. But the rest need to turn up too. It’ll be an interesting series but as I said, if Nets click, it’s over.

I think injuries have taken their toll on the league (which needs a whole different discussion)

I’m really high on the Clippers though. No one is really giving them much time (media wise). If they can catch the Lakers prior to them getting to full health then who knows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement