Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return to fishing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Returning to fishing after many years away. I have a 9ft Shakespeare "Catcher" spinning rod and a Shimano LX 4000 reel from many years ago, both in vgc. I assume these are ideal for pier/rock spinning but would like to chance beach fishing and assume that 9ft isnt big enough. Could anybody give their opinions on the following rods and any suggestion for a reel to suit would be much appreciated.

https://duohook.ie/products/mitchell-riptide-r-surfcasting?pr_prod_strat=collection_fallback&pr_rec_pid=5947196342427&pr_ref_pid=4479621333036&pr_seq=uniform

https://duohook.ie/collections/surf-rods/products/shakespeare-omni-surf-12ft-4-6oz

Thanks.

What part of the coast will you be fishing? Is it beach, rocks, estuary?

Get in touch with ardinn on here too, will sort you out with a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    What part of the coast will you be fishing? Is it beach, rocks, estuary?

Get in touch with ardinn on here too, will sort you out with a good deal.

Greystones/Kilcoole beaches and maybe Dun Laoghaire piers. The Shakespeare 9ft would be grand for Dun Laoghaire, have used it there before, just concened that I need something a bit bigger for the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Returning to fishing after many years away. I have a 9ft Shakespeare "Catcher" spinning rod and a Shimano LX 4000 reel from many years ago, both in vgc. I assume these are ideal for pier/rock spinning but would like to chance beach fishing and assume that 9ft isnt big enough. Could anybody give their opinions on the following rods and any suggestion for a reel to suit would be much appreciated.

https://duohook.ie/products/mitchell-riptide-r-surfcasting?pr_prod_strat=collection_fallback&pr_rec_pid=5947196342427&pr_ref_pid=4479621333036&pr_seq=uniform

https://duohook.ie/collections/surf-rods/products/shakespeare-omni-surf-12ft-4-6oz

Thanks.

The Shakespeare Omni would be cheap and cheerful.

If you could stretch a bit further I'd go for something from the Shakespeare Agility range. The 12ft 9” FS Surf is a good all rounder or there is a 12ft RG Surf which caught my eye and would would be ideal for the beach. The 12ft one is a 2 piece though, so would be that bit bigger for transporting with 2 x 6ft sections.

A reel like this or this in 6000 size should do the trick.

Not sure how much you were planning to spend but if you give a budget it might be easier to recommend a setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

dmc17 wrote: »
    The Shakespeare Omni would be cheap and cheerful.

If you could stretch a bit further I'd go for something from the Shakespeare Agility range. The 12ft 9” FS Surf is a good all rounder or there is a 12ft RG Surf which caught my eye and would would be ideal for the beach. The 12ft one is a 2 piece though, so would be that bit bigger for transporting with 2 x 6ft sections.

A reel like this or this in 6000 size should do the trick.

Not sure how much you were planning to spend but if you give a budget it might be easier to recommend a setup.

Thanks for that Dmc17, stuff looks good. I think I would prefer to pay the extra for decent gear than have to buy twice. In my past fishing life the best gear was always made by Penn and Mitchell although Mitchell seem to have gone a long way into the budget range. Will have a look at what you recommend. Any advice on how Greystones and Kilcoole beaches are fishing these days?

Advertisement