Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Race Across The World - BBC

• 10-03-2019 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Anyone been watching this?

Couples have to get from London to Singapore without a plane or their smartphones, they have a limited supply of cash too. Episode two on now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000319z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yep. On the same premise as the amazing race but no challenges to do along the way. They have been given their whole budget up front as opposed to a bit each leg but can earn more by working along the way which is good.

The kid is an annoying fecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Never heard of the amazing race, will look it up. Yeah the kid was doing my head in too!

I have to say its enjoyable, some of decisions would make your head melt. I was laughing at them all trying to get out of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I only saw this due to clip in gogglebox, it's a lot of fun, clever of the dad and son to get the bus to dortmund

Dovies wrote: »
    Yep. On the same premise as the amazing race but no challenges to do along the way. They have been given their whole budget up front as opposed to a bit each leg but can earn more by working along the way which is good.

The kid is an annoying fecker!

What age is the kid? He's mopey but nothing unusual in that if he's as young as he looks.

Pretty sure they said he was 20 but cant fully remember.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure they said he was 20 but cant fully remember.

He's verging on comedy gold in fairness.

He's verging on comedy gold in fairness.

Referring to Dussledorf as Dumbledore did make me laugh. I like the two older women, one is so driven to get there and the other is like "Ah no, we should enjoy it" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Referring to Dussledorf as Dumbledore did make me laugh. I like the two older women, one is so driven to get there and the other is like "Ah no, we should enjoy it" :pac:

Dumbledorf was brilliant :pac:

Shows not quite what I expected it but enjoying it none the less and it's interesting to see what everyone is planning.

Everyone is tearing through the money should be interesting to see who cracks when they start to run out of cash.

Having a look at what twitter is saying, this woman does not understand her own hashtag

https://twitter.com/Ariadne_Griffin/status/1104859282581929984

• Advertisement

If they get 36 hours at each stop they have plenty of time for a bit of touristing there. I'd be looking to get there as quickly as possible which is kind of the whole point!

I really like this back up couple for some reason. They seem the nicest.

The lads faces when they sign in is going to be good!

jimmii wrote: »
    I really like this back up couple for some reason. They seem the nicest.

They have a good attitude.

The risk of a 24 hour bus is you're so wrecked after it you need a proper rest after it.

The risk of a 24 hour bus is you're so wrecked after it you need a proper rest after it.

Yeah absolutely. I thought the father son were mad in the first episode. Longest bus trip I've done is 12 hours and it was brutal.

They are good, I liked Tony's comment about being tight "Short arms, deep pockets"

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah absolutely. I thought the father son were mad in the first episode. Longest bus trip I've done is 12 hours and it was brutal.

I did 26 hours on South America and unlike these lot unfortunately there wasnt 20k at the end of it!

It's a shame they've put spoilers in the credits. I think just use footage from previous episodes or just use destination shots. Meant there was no tension at all as to who was going to get their last.

I did 26 hours on South America and unlike these lot unfortunately there wasnt 20k at the end of it!

Yeah the money and knowing in a couple of days you gets 36 hours in a decent hotel for free to relax and rack up as big a bill as you can probably helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Really enjoyable watch, interesting to see the different tactics. Fair play to the retired couple, they really went all out to get there first.

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Really enjoyable watch, interesting to see the different tactics. Fair play to the retired couple, they really went all out to get there first.

Enjoyable alright, not sure it actually adds anything to send a team home, it's interesting just seeing how they cope with the travel etc.

Enjoyable alright, not sure it actually adds anything to send a team home, it's interesting just seeing how they cope with the travel etc.

Yeah the pace will no doubt show at some point especially for older people involved. Hard to keep up the non stop coach travel for long.

Dont really get the sending them home really either guess there will only be 3 for the last leg. At least it was the two that went didnt really like them and you got the sense they may not go home friends if they had to go on much longer!

Yeah they have definitely ballsed it up by showing people racing in Singapore, weird that they have decided to do it that way.

Yeah they have definitely ballsed it up by showing people racing in Singapore, weird that they have decided to do it that way.

Does seem strange given they edited the last to sign in bit as if the result wasnt known already. It's not.like it's a subtle bit of the credits either!

Netflix has me spoiled, dont want to wait another week. The photography from the programme is lovely too, getting some facts in there too like the border being closed in Armenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Never heard of the amazing race, will look it up. Yeah the kid was doing my head in too!

I have to say its enjoyable, some of decisions would make your head melt. I was laughing at them all trying to get out of London.

Amazing race is excellent. Not sure off hand how many seasons but the USA is the original. There is a Canada one too. Been watching it for about 20 years!

Netflix has me spoiled, dont want to wait another week. The photography from the programme is lovely too, getting some facts in there too like the border being closed in Armenia.

Yeah must admit my geographical knowledge of the area is quite poor so feel like I'm getting a bit of an education while watching!

Just watching episode three here, some of these central asian countries look incredible.

Episode four tonight, really enjoying this at the moment. One of the refreshing elements of it is that it is normal people involved and not celebrities.

• Advertisement

Yeah no doubt that will come if it proves a success much like they do the hunted specials.

I prefer where the race element takes a back seat and it becomes more about the experience. I think as it goes on that's what will become more important for the racers which is the whole point of it really!

Advertisement