Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ouija Boards

Options
  • 28-02-2019 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any experiences, good or otherwise, with Ouija boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

its a commercial game - thats all it ever was. Ive never played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

There was a fashion for playing it back in the '70's.

A neighbour of ours did have a creepy experience with a used board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Day Lewin wrote: »
    There was a fashion for playing it back in the '70's.

A neighbour of ours did have a creepy experience with a used board.

What type of creepy experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A few of us had been playing the Ouija board one evening at her house (friends with her daughter)
    We all went home leaving the thing on the kitchen table.

Later I heard from the daughter what happened: here is what the lady, her mother, described

She woke during the night thinking someone was in the house. Went downstairs to see who (family were students at the time)
    Noticed a dim light in the kitchen, went in there, to turn it off, room being empty.
    Heard clicking: sure it was coming from the Ouija board on the table. Faint clicking and tapping noises continued.
    In a panic she seized it up and threw it outside the back door into garden. Next day, flung it into a far corner of a dark shed.
    She forbade any such thing to ever be used in her house again, and dined out a little on the story for years.

I often heard her tell the story and her eyes were round and alarmed, there is no doubt she had seriously had a fright and she was not a sentimental or suggestive type of person but very practical and blunt.

I am sorry to relate that the Ouija board was surreptitiously retrieved from the garden shed, the reasoning being that she would never notice!
    However the shine had gone out of it and the game lost its popularity very shortly after that. I think people had an uneasiness around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Board game, nothing else.

Anything else you hear about them is all made up nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was the guy making sure no funny business went on I wasn't at the board. I ended up being the most terrified with what I witnessed.

Not sure how it works but I'd say static electricity or something, like when you make someone nearly levitate with only a few fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Tried it once, 45 years ago, never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Never used one myself.
    Heard the stories, so not in too much of a rush to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Waste of time. Bit like buying a magic wand in a toy shop and believing that you can cast spells and turn people into frogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I am sceptical about it being so easy to contact any alleged afterlife with a cardboard and planchette. That said, I would never ever use one....just in case. And I bet that most of the people who scoff "Ah that's nonsense it wont do anything" wouldn't use one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Waste of time. Bit like buying a magic wand in a toy shop and believing that you can cast spells and turn people into frogs

Ah go on give it a go, there's no harm in doing it.

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I saw it being played in a water front bar in Cobh back in the 70's. I was sitting up at the bar and seated nearby in full view were a few people playing the ouija board.

They were asking spirits to contact them, names were coming in, along with the reasons why they had passed etc. I asked the barman was it genuine or were they just acting the b....x and he showed us a log book of all the contacts the group had made over a period of time.

It appeared there was no messing with this group, they were seriously into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

some of us used to use it decades ago. Things were spelled out that we had no knowledge of and the speed varied according to eg anger being expressed. Which it was. Not by us.

There are darker powers and entities around. Wiser if any doubt not to involve, and all these years ago and I still remember the anger that flung the glass across the room when we asked silly things

Advertisement