Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great 11'6 laptop

• 02-12-2010 7:27pm

I have one of these myself and have bought one off this site the other day for a friend.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Dell_Inspiron_11z_1003534.html

productimage.aspx?id=451054&quality=75&maxwidth=280&maxheight=280

- This model is a celeron but is still a lot faster than an atom netbook despite being as portable.
    - Has a HDMI port which is great for watching movies on your hd tv
    - Keyboard is one of the best that I've used on any laptop
    - Touchpad has been criticized in reviews but I find it fine
    - Screen is wxga resolution - higher than most netbooks - better for browsing
    - 11'6 size is a lot easier to use than a 10' also
    - GMA 4500mhd integrated graphics will output full HD smoothly unlike netbooks. Will play basic and older games.
    - 6 hours battery life with the 6 cell battery included (does stick out bottom a bit but actually handy for using on your lap / table as gives it an angle).

Came to €320 on my credit card including delivery. Delivered in 2 days.
    If you are ordering put Ireland in as postcode and select non-mainland uk for delivery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

glasso wrote: »
    - This model is a celeron

..... Stopped reading

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tallon wrote: »
    ..... Stopped reading

amen, a castrated pentium

I find it really funny that celeron has such a bad name. Lots of people are buying netbooks which are atom-powered and really slow compared to the celeron ulv chip - and nobody seems to slag off the atom chips. In sysmark performance tests the difference between an atom and a ulv celeron is very significant in favour of the celeron. Having used this pc and atom netbooks it is way ahead in terms of usuability.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

11'6 is a bit too big to use on a plane or bus though

EI111 wrote: »

not at all - it's the perfect size. it's not that much bigger than a 10' netbook - screen size is measured diagonally - Pythagoras Theorem and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Great value, I buy these off dell for €342 ex vat delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I bet most people would't notice the difference between a celeron and a pentium unless you were doing something very heavy. Which you won't be doing on a netbook anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

BostonB wrote: »
    I bet most people would't notice the difference between a celeron and a pentium unless you were doing something very heavy. Which you won't be doing on a netbook anyway.

If someone hands me in a PC or latop because it's "slow" the first thing I look for is a celeron badge. they may have improved in the last few years but they had a tendency towards being brutally slow once AV etc was put on a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Bambi wrote: »
    If someone hands me in a PC or latop because it's "slow" the first thing I look for is a celeron badge. they may have improved in the last few years but they had a tendency towards being brutally slow once AV etc was put on a machine.

Not true

For browsing and watching films my netbook (old atom 270) feels the exact same speed as one of my desktops which has an overclocked x4 955, plus I am running many more processes on the netbook

In fact out of the half dozen desktops and laptops of varying sizes I seem to have accumulated - the netbook gets the most use

Its portable, can veg on the couch with it while watching TV, can take it to bed like a book and watch streams, can bring it on trains/planes/boats and the journeys fly - its only got a 10" screen - I think an 11.6 or 12.1 would be absolute perfection.

The key is portability and battery power - once you own one they become so indespensible - like a mobile phone - you wonder how you lived without em before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

flip this is actually a very good deal, nothing can touch it in this price range

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

That might be more to do with AV becoming bloat ware than anything else. I've had to change AV on a number of old P4's because of the poor performance of new AV versions. An AV shouldn't be hitting a machine that hard that you need a pentium.

Saw this comment dunno if it applies....
    The ULV processors such as the Celeron 743 1.3GHz are probably twice as quick as the Atom N270 1.6GHz plus they come with the GS45 integrated graphics which does hardware HD video decoding and is much quicker than the one that comes with Atom netbooks.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/laptops-netbooks-tablets/1164726-atom-vs-ulv-laptop-recommendations.html

The celeron is single core, and uses more power than the atom...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

No problem personally with celerons, not in the last year or two anyways. They may be the arse end of the chips, but they still do general stuff fine. Different story 5 years ago, where it was the bottleneck of the computer. They're fine now for internet , watching video, word processing etc.. but by no means is it a workhorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Not true

For browsing and watching films my netbook (old atom 270) feels the exact same speed as one of my desktops which has an overclocked x4 955, plus I am running many more processes on the netbook

In fact out of the half dozen desktops and laptops of varying sizes I seem to have accumulated - the netbook gets the most use

Its portable, can veg on the couch with it while watching TV, can take it to bed like a book and watch streams, can bring it on trains/planes/boats and the journeys fly - its only got a 10" screen - I think an 11.6 or 12.1 would be absolute perfection.

The key is portability and battery power - once you own one they become so indespensible - like a mobile phone - you wonder how you lived without em before

I completely agree. When I bought my first laptop 4 years ago now, I made the mistake of going for games and size, bought a 17" monster and paid 1000 bucks for it. Really it was a desktop replacement, too big to lug around, balance on your lap, 1 hour battery life if lucky, never bothered playing games on it cos I had the desktop for that. Now I am on the look out for 11.6 or 12.1 - at least 6 hours battery life, not worried about games, my needs have changed - now want it for browsing, streaming videos and the odd photoshop\office app. And I dont want to pay over 400 for it. So just waiting for the next gen to appear, duo core, ion graphics etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mrs. Clareman has 1 of these laptops and she loves it, it's ideal for what she wants it for (surfing/facebook/email), personally I can't stand it but it's her laptop not mine and it keeps her away from my laptops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Lads, this is far superior to yer standard 10" netbook, this site delivers very fast as well. 1-2 days and only charge £9.. On that site there is another laptop which ive recommended to a few, and it cant be beat at the price.. (Note it does come with xp-or vista but its fast light 8 hours battery, has a dvd drive and very good 14" screen..) its only £299.00 and really is value..

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_Timeline_4810T_638750.html

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

EI111 wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't fit on your lap either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

The 4810T is something ive reccomended to alot of people lately who are looking for something as portable as a netbook but packs a bigger screen and significant performence boost. At that price its hard to beat for the average user. Big point people are missing from these two models is the HDMI port...something that is becoming more and more essential.

Talking about value, those looking for a laptop for good performance and the ability to play any modern game at minimum of medium to high settings, this offers exceptional value:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_L670-14L_1035503.html

Probably worth a bargain alert itself tbh!

This dell 11z will do all that you're asking.... why wait and pay extra. you'll get over 6 hours with the supplied battery, it has hdmi, will do hd video...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

glasso wrote: »
    This dell 11z will do all that you're asking.... why wait and pay extra. you'll get over 6 hours with the supplied battery, it has hdmi, will do hd video...

Agree, go for it Vastly better Value..

• Advertisement

aidankkk wrote: »
    Agree, go for it Vastly better Value..

No thanks my mates got one and the track pad is really nasty

No thanks my mates got one and the track pad is really nasty

It's actually grand after a day of using it. Dell actually changed the trackpad to one with separate buttons on some 11z's and that's the one that I have but the one from this site for my mate is the one with integrated buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

M450 wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't fit on your lap either :D

At least somebody got it

You must be action man size, if its too big... even a 17" laptop is no problem on a lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

BostonB wrote: »
    You must be action man size, if its too big... even a 17" laptop is no problem on a lap.

Note the difference between yours and OPs quotation marks.

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Note the difference between yours and OPs quotation marks.

ah, doh, :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

aidankkk wrote: »
    Lads, this is far superior to yer standard 10" netbook, this site delivers very fast as well.
    i hate to have to admit it, but for the money he's right.

its never going to beat a dual core atom with iON graphics, but it shouldn't have to for the price since its a couple of hundred quid less than a decent dual core atom with iON & 2gb RAM.

honestly, i really don't like the idea that i'm recommending a celeron to anyone for anything, but for what you get for the money it IS a really good deal. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

I was about to buy this but decided to check out the dell outlet first...well worthwile!! Picked up this:-
    Inspiron 1120 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    250 GB Hard Drive, SATA, RAID (7,200 RPM)
    AMD Athlon II Neo K325 (Dual Core,1.3GHz,2MB Cache,12W)
    2GB, DDR3
    Display 11.6in TFT Display WLED HD with TrueLife

For 328 delivered, it's certified refurbished but comes with a full 12 month warranty!

Advertisement