Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lizzie Borden House

• 01-09-2019 10:32am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Gosh I haven't been on this forum for years! Have a few stories to share since I last visited the forum but I may drip feed them for now.

Last year I stayed with my best friend in the house of one of the US most infamous murders, the Lizzie Borden House. Its located in crappy town called Fall River in Massachusetts. Its a guest house and most if not all the furniture is exact replicas of the original furniture from the original time of the murders over 100 years ago. The house is set up and laid out exactly as it was at the time. Crime scene photos of the corpses are dotted around the house.

Without boring with you the history, basically Lizzie murdered her father and step mother in the house, brutally, but was never convicted. They were a rich affluent family but in a time without DNA. They were also allegedly assholes.

Staff don't stay in the house at night (mostly because there isn't room). From memory there were 12 people in total in the house that night including the 2 of us. People only stay there for the experience, not for any other reason. As part of your stay you are treated to a 90 minute tour of the house which is quite interesting.

They claim its haunted. The house has been featured on a number of Most Haunted type shows in the US. The top floor (where staff and servants of the Borden's would sleep) is haunted by children, the middle floor by the father and Lizzie. We were staying in the maid's bedroom on the top floor. (Ironically their maid was from Cork!). One conspiracy of the murders is that she did it on behalf of Lizzie as they were secretly in love.

After staff leave, you are free to roam the house etc. There are EMP meters left lying around, a few Ouija boards and outfits from the era. They have photo albums of pics left by guests and admittedly some of the photos do have images etc in them that are creepy.

Myself and my friend are open minded but skeptical. Similar to me she has had experiences in the past. Our plan was to record a podcast late at night about the night. We had one rule for ourselves, we can have all the banter we want but no faking anything or purposely trying to scare the other person for kicks.

The staff as that you don't consume alcohol on the premises but they weren't enforcing it. They said Mr Borden didn't allow alcohol in the house in his era. We flaunted this and had wine in our room.

The house is creepy. Partly by design of the current owners but also because its old, creaky and all that. The tour is insightful but not creepy except for the basement part. There was something 'off' about a section of that basement but then again its a basement.

Myself and my friend were awake till near 4pm. We provoked as best we could. We drank wine, we got into closets with the light off, we even put on the period clothes left in the closet.

Sadly nothing happened.

No children's voices at night, no ill feelings, no ghostly apparitions. We didn't record the podcast in the end as we didn't feel the creeps.

The next morning over breakfast with the other guests it seems that no one else had any experiences of note. Some people couldn't sleep and some had the creeps but that's about it.

I got some amazing videos and photos of the place. (We actually made a short comedy sketch there but we haven't finished the final edit yet). If there is interest, I can share the pics.

If you are in the area and are in to creepy experiences its worth an overnight stay and a visit to the gift shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Would love to see the pics Faceman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I would like to see what you put together OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Here are some pics to get you started, including the room we stayed in. (Really we should have taken the picture before the bed was messed up!). Click the pic for a larger version

20180901-001151987-i-OS.jpg

20180901-001322421-i-OS.jpg

20180901-140500154-i-OS.jpg

20180901-140711473-i-OS.jpg

IMG-3265.jpg

IMG-3266.jpg

IMG-3271.jpg

IMG-3290.jpg

IMG-3325.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It definitely seems atmospheric judging by the photos.

Advertisement