Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****, ****, Weed, Piss...off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Maybe change the line to "you’re cheap and you’re haggard" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yester wrote: »

No, hows about we just don't change it and move on with our lives and just let the permanently outraged be permanently outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I've heard it played on the radio with that word taken out tons of times, I mean, it's a slur/swear word isn't it? Thats usually standard practise.

Its my fave Christmas tune, taking one word out doesnt spoil the listening experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

RTE routinely play Bell X1's "Rocky took a lover" which has the line "you're such an asshole when you're drunk". During the DAY. When CHILDREN can hear !

What if someone had an asshole that doesn't work ?? WHAT THEN ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

RWCNT wrote: »
    I've heard it played on the radio with that word taken out tons of times, I mean, it's a slur/swear word isn't it? Thats usually standard practise.

Its my fave Christmas tune, taking one word out doesnt spoil the listening experience for me.
    You're an auld slut on junk...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Two things.

I hate this song and I really think the whole censoring/removal of songs just in case someone is offended is a genuinely retarded move.

BUT! I'm really sure that line has been censored on many radio stations for years now. I vaguely remember having a conversation with people in work back in like 2004/05 about it being censored.

You're an auld slut on junk...

I had to look up the next lyric because auld Shane is so incomprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Eoghan McDermott and people like him are the reason I steer clear of Irish radio stations that play modern chart music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't understand the thread title...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"****** is their N word"

So does that mean if a gay man and a lesbian re-record it then it's all good and we can play it?

Maybe go full on gangsta rapper and put it in every sentence?

• Advertisement

"****** is their N word"

So does that mean if a gay man and a lesbian re-record it then it's all good and we can play it?

Maybe go full on gangsta rapper and put it in every sentence?

When rap is played on music channels and radio they almost always censor the N word though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I was in the company of a homosexual over the weekend when the song came on in a pub while a group of us were drinking heavily. He’s not a hysterical or moany sort, but did say that he finds that particular word offensive. It’s a slur, and isn’t one of these words that has the heat taken out of it by being accepted by the community or group it is meant to insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

See,

This is the problem, you give into one of these outrage junkies and the rest demand their special requests be obeyed.

Cnunts.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A lot of snowflakes around this xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

You don't mind them sonically blurring out the offending words. Like that Maroon 5/Christina Aguilera song where he sings the refrain "....I don't give a sh1t" and the word is blatantly cut.

Rather it's the actual altering of the lyric that is actually ridiculous. It snuffs out the original content and it's censorship like that which irks people. However, you get to listen to it with it's original content any time you wish and if radio stations/DJ's who have control of content decide to censor songs from their play lists then just accept it as their prerogative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

In fairness only a ****** would be offended by Fairytale of New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

In fairness only a ****** would be offended by Fairytale of New York.

Fággot is a censored word??? Honestly never even considered that, had to ad the 'á' cause that makes it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unknown DJ saying controversial things to make his name known shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Personally, I'd be glad to get a break from that song - It's been over-played to death, would be quite happy to never hear it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

But but but he calls her a slut. Surely that level of shaming of her sexual choices is more offensive than her suggesting he may be a gay.

• Advertisement

Always knew he was a wanker..

Yester wrote: »

"The little haggard with the earring and the make-up........"

Nah, doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

$hifty wrote: »
    "The little haggard with the earring and the make-up........"

Nah, doesn't work.

"That little haggard got his own jet airplane..."
    I think it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Imagine letting words have so much power over you. Must not be able to sleep at night knowing somewhere someone is saying the word ******.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Eoghan who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Art of any kind is only really art because it provokes an emotional response.
    It opens the viewer or listener to the views of the artist and the viewer then interprets that view through their life experience.

I'm very opposed to changing lyrics, hiding pictures or ignoring film because they make a homophobic, racist, or any other kind of phobic view.
    Art needs to be viewed and understood as being "of its time" and more specifically to being a view of its creator.

Disney have hidden away and deleted most of its famously racist stuff, Whereas as WB have taken the path of showing a disclaimer before a lot of their early Tom and Jerry and other stuff outlining the we they came from, and affirming racism is wrong but this is the artwork view it if you wish.

The level of revisionism and deletion or ignoring of works from bygone times that hit a phobia is very worrying to me.
    The history of our arts, much like history of our societies is being manipulated and directed to reflect current tastes rather than reflect the realities of the times.

She might be calling him a roast pork ******.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_(food)

I tried these once, they were in fact cheap and lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jester77 wrote: »
    A lot of snowflakes around this xmas

I think we're going to have a shyte Xmas.

Full of demands to censor this and that, it's 21st century Puritainism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Read a funny one on twitter, a guy suggested changing the lyrics to keep an 80s twist...

You scumbag you maggot, you taped over Taggart..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Shes obviously calling him a bundle of sticks that can be used to heat his cosy home. No need for the censoring. She'd want him to be warm at christmas. Very thoughtful.

Advertisement