Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chromecast 2020 with Google tv

Options
  • 15-10-2020 11:49pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭

started to use this today

anyone else ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It arrived today, but it's my birthday present so I won't get to try it for a few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Very fast delivery which was good - im mainly using mine as an android box as it were

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Started using mine yesterday, loving it. Remapped Netflix button to Kodi which is working brilliantly.
    Thought i would need to use Jellyfin to downsample playback but native playback over the NFS share is working perfectly.
    Love the voice commands. Wish you could power off and on more than one device by pressing the power button, for example the power button can either turn on and off the tv or sound bar but not both, seems an odd thing to leave like that, but overall very happy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Ive found media players work better than others

on stb emu mpv wont load - ijk is slow to load

Vlc works great and exo is good 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Mine is still not delivered, ordered it in the middle of the Google show...

Probably Monday now at this stage...

• Advertisement

having to go through sideload launcher to get to the android tv playstore app is strange

Fieldog wrote: »
    Mine is still not delivered, ordered it in the middle of the Google show...

Probably Monday now at this stage...

i bought mine after the event

check the tracking n see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Nowso wrote: »
    i bought mine after the event

check the tracking n see

Saying it left Eindhoven about 2am, no update since...

Not in a hurry for it anyway...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Saying it left Eindhoven about 2am, no update since...

Not in a hurry for it anyway...

mine took about 36 hours in total . through brussels and Uk shouldnt be too long when it does get going

having to go through sideload launcher to get to the android tv playstore app is strange

What do you mean here, Play is preinstalled, do you mean something else?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    What do you mean here, Play is preinstalled, do you mean something else?

to accees the preinstalled playstore through the menu screen you have to go through the sideload launcher app it does not show on the google tv menu screen

Ah i see thanks, i just used the voice command button (because i'm lazy) to install Kodi, NordVPn and some other stuff.
    When I installed Kodi it was listed as an app in there so assumed it was on the homescreen somewhere too.
    Easier to get to it for me in Kodi I think with the Netflix button remapped.
    To be honest easiest would be to install using the play in Chrome and choose the Chromecast device as the target, did that for the button mapper app for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Started using mine yesterday, loving it. Remapped Netflix button to Kodi which is working brilliantly.
    Thought i would need to use Jellyfin to downsample playback but native playback over the NFS share is working perfectly.
    Love the voice commands. Wish you could power off and on more than one device by pressing the power button, for example the power button can either turn on and off the tv or sound bar but not both, seems an odd thing to leave like that, but overall very happy.

How is it running kodi?

I have a RPi3 which is OK, but would love something a bit snappier without too much investment.

the Picture quality seems good to me

How is it running kodi?

I have a RPi3 which is OK, but would love something a bit snappier without too much investment.

Surprisingly well I have to say, snappy with little lag and no lipsynch issues so far. Pressing the NetflixKodi button on the remote powers up the tv and launches kodi, brillo!
    I was running CoreElec on a Play two off its NAND and it has been struggling lately as in hangs for ages when navigating between movies and tv as my collection has gotten large. All are on a NAS NFS share on raid 5 which isn't skipping a beat.
    Kodi on this little gizmo is perfect, have scanned everything on the NAS into its library and no issues.
    Binge watching this weekend to finally finish off Agents of Shield to see how the lipsynch holds up as that on some devices drove me insane. All my stuff is 1080p FWIW.

I really like Youtube too on it, one button launch and power up. I have an ahem Indian Premium sub to that so no ads on it, the interface is beautiful, i really missed having that in Kodi on the Play before due to the api issue.
    The youtube is very nicely laid out, there an interesting Youtube videos section which has documentatores there, Iron Man (Robert Downey jr) has one there on on AI, earmarked to that to watch this weekend too.

All in a total steal for what you are paying.

Anyone just using it as normal? What’s the interface like compared to what’s on a Shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Thinking of this as a possible upgrade on my MiBox in our spare room, Stadia support in Q1 2021 is a big plus for me.

Just wondering, does it support a Now TV app? I know i can cast to it but would rather have an app on the device rather than cast to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Thinking of this as a possible upgrade on my MiBox in our spare room, Stadia support in Q1 2021 is a big plus for me.

Just wondering, does it support a Now TV app? I know i can cast to it but would rather have an app on the device rather than cast to it.

It'll be the exact same as Android TV OS on your Mibox no? If it's not on the mi box then it won't be on the chromecast.

The only downside to this box is that it doesn't do frame rate switching. Noticed action scenes on a tv show i had downloaded were a bit blurry and thought something was off - played fine on my Play 2 box, checked the Kodi forum and confirmed that it doesn't do frame rate switching. Tbh maybe not a show stopper for some i suppose but its a shame as the hardware supports it.

The only downside to this box is that it doesn't do frame rate switching. Noticed action scenes on a tv show i had downloaded were a bit blurry and thought something was off - played fine on my Play 2 box, checked the Kodi forum and confirmed that it doesn't do frame rate switching. Tbh maybe not a show stopper for some i suppose but its a shame as the hardware supports it.

auto display rate does help

the Picture quality is v good

• Advertisement

ive switched to this from my mi box - its a lil different

Picture quality better
    some players work better some worse on stb vlc is great
    play store is behind the launcher app and not on google tv menu

can be a small bit slower to load up but plays good

im happy enough with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Can these be plugged into a HDMI port on the back of an AV receiver, to get the benefit of your speaker setup, rather than the audio being output by the TVs inferior speakers? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

I read it didn't work a few days ago and they have since took it off the store on the box. Likely they're working to fix it, it'd be a strange product not to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I read it didn't work a few days ago and they have since took it off the store on the box. Likely they're working to fix it, it'd be a strange product not to support.

Interestingly, tthe Play Store shows that the NOW TV app is compatible with my Sony Android TV but not my nVidia Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

The new Chromecast uses a type C connection. So you'd need this one.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/chromecast_ethernet_adapter_gen_2

Could probably also use a a micro B to C adapter though if anyone has an ethernet adapter already.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/chromecast_ethernet_adapter_gen_2

ahh thats the one i thought i was linking up

• Registered Users Posts: 24 emanresu123

Anyone else missing the "For you", "Movies", "Shows" tabs?

All I'm seeing is "Search" , "Home" , "Apps", & "Library"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone else missing the "For you", "Movies", "Shows" tabs?

All I'm seeing is "Search" , "Home" , "Apps", & "Library"

That's my one too, appears to be the European implementation.

I like it so far, but Channel 4 really need to sort out an app to match their Fire OS one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Anyone know if these are available in any shops at the minute?

Showing out of stock on Argos and home delivery only on Currys. Not on DID or Harvey Norman sites.

Advertisement