Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-08-2020, 00:29   #46
f1000
Registered User
 
f1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil3 View Post
It's €129 for the 3a, so you'd get a lot more than 8 months worth with the difference.
Wow, just seen that when I went to checkout
f1000 is offline  
Advertisement
04-08-2020, 00:32   #47
Aristotle
Registered User
 
Aristotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Wow, just seen that when I went to checkout
It's a great deal alright! It kind of dampens how good of a deal the 4a also is. Hopefully a similar deal will be available for the 4a when I eventually break my 3a.
Aristotle is offline  
04-08-2020, 09:00   #48
Basil3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,653
According to this article, it won't actually be available for purchase until October, with preorders in September.

I guess they just wanted to push out the announcement ahead of the OnePlus Nord.
Basil3 is offline  
04-08-2020, 10:38   #49
Grahamer72
Registered User
 
Grahamer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil3 View Post
According to this article, it won't actually be available for purchase until October, with preorders in September.

I guess they just wanted to push out the announcement ahead of the OnePlus Nord.
Yea, it's August 20th in the US. October here afaik.
Grahamer72 is offline  
04-08-2020, 10:50   #50
Beersmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,036
Current 3a owner, was hoping for 1 of the following for the 4a to tempt me to buy: wireless charging, larger than 6 inch display, 90hz refresh rate.
No point in changing it seems.
Beersmith is offline  
Advertisement
04-08-2020, 11:10   #51
peejay1986
Registered User
 
peejay1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil3 View Post
According to this article, it won't actually be available for purchase until October, with preorders in September.

I guess they just wanted to push out the announcement ahead of the OnePlus Nord.
Wow. That's an absolute stinker, then.
peejay1986 is offline  
04-08-2020, 11:15   #52
ReginaldSmythV
Registered User
 
ReginaldSmythV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5,983
The gap between announcement and sale renders it completely pointless. Google are so bad at this.
ReginaldSmythV is offline  
04-08-2020, 15:30   #53
KillerShamrock
Registered User
 
KillerShamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldSmythV View Post
The gap between announcement and sale renders it completely pointless. Google are so bad at this.
Yep pretty much! That and by the time it's actually available here the pixel 4a 5G (the 5G alone won't be worth the 110 euro extra asking price over the standard 4a) will be out/announced and so will the pixel 5.

Only plus side is it will give people a bit of choice for a pixel rather than just 2 sizes for essentially the same phone.

May try grab a 3a/XL in that case...
KillerShamrock is offline  
Thanks from:
07-08-2020, 19:55   #54
The Black Oil
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,490
I only watched one review on launch day - MKBHD. iirc, his criticism was around performance, other than that, I think he was pretty positive. Whilst I enjoy some tech videos, I never get too into the nitty gritty of what they're discussing as there's just so many videos.

Disappointing about October anyway.
The Black Oil is offline  
Advertisement
07-08-2020, 20:53   #55
Beersmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Oil View Post
I only watched one review on launch day - MKBHD. iirc, his criticism was around performance, other than that, I think he was pretty positive. Whilst I enjoy some tech videos, I never get too into the nitty gritty of what they're discussing as there's just so many videos.

Disappointing about October anyway.
But why get a 4a when you can get 3a for half the price?
Beersmith is offline  
07-08-2020, 21:22   #56
914
Registered User
 
914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
But why get a 4a when you can get 3a for half the price?
Because people want the new shiny one!
914 is offline  
07-08-2020, 21:34   #57
The Black Oil
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
But why get a 4a when you can get 3a for half the price?
Already with Vodafone PAYG. When I click the link that was posted here it asks me to log in, but the page is then blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914 View Post
Because people want the new shiny one!
That's a little bit of it, yeah. I'm not in any great rush, really and will do some more research. Recently did a computer upgrade, a phone can wait a while.
The Black Oil is offline  
Thanks from:
07-08-2020, 21:52   #58
914
Registered User
 
914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Oil View Post
Already with Vodafone PAYG. When I click the link that was posted here it asks me to log in, but the page is then blank.



That's a little bit of it, yeah. I'm not in any great rush, really and will do some more research. Recently did a computer upgrade, a phone can wait a while.
Don't blame you. The majority of us want the latest tech. No different to when samsung release the s20 very few people then want the s10.

That is why technology pregresses at the rate it does.

Tempted with the 4a myself but seen as it won't arrive till October I'll see what the pixel 5 has to offer
914 is offline  
07-08-2020, 23:29   #59
Beersmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914 View Post
Because people want the new shiny one!
I understand that for flagship phones which I've gotten in the past but a 4a is bang for buck which is why the 3a beats the pants out of it. Im really struggling to see the improvement over the 3a
Beersmith is offline  
Thanks from:
08-08-2020, 00:25   #60
advertsfox
Registered User
 
advertsfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
I understand that for flagship phones which I've gotten in the past but a 4a is bang for buck which is why the 3a beats the pants out of it. Im really struggling to see the improvement over the 3a
I hear you on this one mate, the 3A was a considered upgrade over my Pixel 2 XL but for me I couldn't - not with it using eMMC memory (UFS 2.1 is a vast improvement). The 4A is a big upgrade in terms of CPU, RAM/ROM (6GB/128GB) battery life, screen format (no bezels), support life... its just a worthy, modern looking upgrade at a solid price. I'm sold, definitely my next phone.
advertsfox is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet