Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-08-2020, 19:53   #31
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamer72 View Post
I hate how it's cheaper in the US by a good bit. It might not be as snappy as the Nord but most people buy phone's these days for the camera and it's camera blows the Nord's away.
that's not really true at all when you take sales tax / VAT into account

$349 is an ex-VAT price in the US

€389 in euro is a post-VAT price here

compared to the way that things used to be be priced it's actually very good comparatively

comparison to 3a here

https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...4a-vs-pixel-3a

the 3a on the Vodafone deal is the bargain to get really
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-08-2020, 20:20   #32
f1000

That's a decent offer from Vodafone €229 for the 3a and I could get 8 month calls, data & texts with the price difference for the 4a

...but I do like the smaller footprint of the 4a and the spec bump even though the camera is the same as the 3a
03-08-2020, 20:34   #33
Basil3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
That's a decent offer from Vodafone €229 for the 3a and I could get 8 month calls, data & texts with the price difference for the 4a

...but I do like the smaller footprint of the 4a and the spec bump even though the camera is the same as the 3a
It's €129 for the 3a, so you'd get a lot more than 8 months worth with the difference.
Thanks from:
03-08-2020, 22:02   #34
Yggr of Asgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso View Post
that's not really true at all when you take sales tax / VAT into account

$349 is an ex-VAT price in the US

€389 in euro is a post-VAT price here

compared to the way that things used to be be priced it's actually very good comparatively

comparison to 3a here

https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...4a-vs-pixel-3a

the 3a on the Vodafone deal is the bargain to get really
Well that is not correct.

In the EU the price is 349€ with the exception in Ireland, Spain and Italy where it is 389€.

In Germany Google after the recent VAT cut sells it for even lower price of 340€. Even with our 21% VAT against the German 16% the price for Ireland clearly includes a significant markup for some reason.

And yes I know the UK price is 349£. So Google clearly did a 349 strategy with the exception of IE, IT, ES where they charge significant more.
03-08-2020, 22:12   #35
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggr of Asgard View Post
Well that is not correct.

In the EU the price is 349€ with the exception in Ireland, Spain and Italy where it is 389€.

In Germany Google after the recent VAT cut sells it for even lower price of 340€. Even with our 21% VAT against the German 16% the price for Ireland clearly includes a significant markup for some reason.

And yes I know the UK price is 349£. So Google clearly did a 349 strategy with the exception of IE, IT, ES where they charge significant more.
the point was the Irish price vs the US price if you read the original post, not some intra-European analysis
Advertisement
03-08-2020, 22:43   #36
Yggr of Asgard

Quote:
the point was the Irish price vs the US price if you read the original post, not some intra-European analysis
349$ is 296€.

US sales taxes are not applicable for all states BTW.

So even if you take 21% VAT into consideration the 389€ price has a significant markup compared to the US price as its clearly shown that in the rest of the EU they do it for 349€.

There is a 40€ Irish premium in the price compared to other EU markets.

Ordering it from Europe could save you 40€.
03-08-2020, 22:45   #37
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
349$ is 296€.

So even if you take 21% VAT into consideration the 389€ price has a significant markup compared to the US price as its clearly shown that in the rest of the EU they do it for 349€.

That’s the way it has been and the way it is. Nearly all phones and other tech are the same so I’m not sure why this is worth such outrage.
Thanks from:
03-08-2020, 22:55   #38
Aristotle

Quote:
It's almost always been the case that whatever price a phone sells for in USA without tax is what the phone sells for in Europe with tax ($499 -> €499 etc.). With the dollar being the weakest it's been for the past two years, you'd expect us to do better than this usual simple conversion, not the other way around.

Grahamer72's point was correct.
(2) thanks from:
03-08-2020, 23:04   #39
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldSmythV View Post
That’s the way it has been and the way it is. Nearly all phones and other tech are the same so I’m not sure why this is worth such outrage.
exactly.

in the past it could have even been that something like a phone that goes for $349 (before sales tax) could be €450 over here or worse

take a look at the price of laptops for example

this is frequently still the case with most laptops if you actually take a look at prices
Advertisement
03-08-2020, 23:12   #40
glasso

Quote:
349$ is 296€.

looks like pretty much the vast majority of states to me

https://support.google.com/store/answer/6160272?hl=en

again the original point was vs US not about the irish price vs other European countries
03-08-2020, 23:15   #41
Aristotle

Quote:
exactly.

in the past it could have even been that something like a phone that goes for $349 (before sales tax) could be €450 over here or worse

take a look at the price of laptops for example

this is frequently still the case with most laptops if you actually take a look at prices
To simplify it for you as you seem to be bit confused, the Pixel 3a was $399 in the USA (without tax) and €399 in Ireland (with tax) when it first launched. This direct conversion from euro to dollar is almost always done when a new phone is launched in both markets.

In the case of the Pixel 4a, the conversion is worse than this for us, even though the dollar is weaker than when the Pixel 3a was launched. This is the point that is being made.
03-08-2020, 23:22   #42
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
To simplify it for you as you seem to be bit confused, the Pixel 3a was $399 in the USA (without tax) and €399 in Ireland (with tax) when it first launched. This direct conversion from euro to dollar is almost always done when a new phone is launched in both markets.

In the case of the Pixel 4a, the conversion is worse than this for us, even though the dollar is weaker than when the Pixel 3a was launched. This is the point that is being made.
I thought that we were talking about the 4a price, not the 3a.

you seem confused.

phone prices here have often been a lot higher than the US -

e.g. https://www.thejournal.ie/new-iphone...94899-Sep2017/

and as said, this is the case for the majority of tech products if you compare using amazon for example
03-08-2020, 23:23   #43
Aristotle

Quote:
I thought that we were talking about the 4a price, not the 3a.

you seem confused.

phone prices here have often been a lot higher than the US -

e.g. https://www.thejournal.ie/new-iphone...94899-Sep2017/

Have you misread my post? I directly referenced the price of the 4a. The conversion has gotten worse from the 3A to the 4A, it is very straightforward point to understand.
03-08-2020, 23:34   #44
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
Have you misread my post? I directly referenced the price of the 4a. The conversion has gotten worse from the 3A to the 4A, it is very straightforward point to understand.
I couldn't care less what you directly or indirectly referenced

you're well known for the most pointless and pedantic arguments on boards

new better phone model comes out priced cheaper than the last model but that's not good enough
03-08-2020, 23:41   #45
Aristotle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso
I couldn't care less what you directly or indirectly referenced

you're well known for the most pointless and pedantic arguments on boards
And you're well known for stating that someone is argumentative when you can't think of a good reply.

Almost all android phones have a paddy tax that equates to a direct euro dollar exchange rate, it's been like that for years. This is an exception, which is the point that has been made by myself and others. Whether that paddy tax is typically higher for Apple phones, laptops etc. is irrelevant. This is a higher paddy tax than the norm for an Android smartphone, simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso
new better phone model comes out priced cheaper than the last model but that's not good enough
I never said it wasn't a good deal, in fact I think it's a great deal. If you were annoyed by other people comparing different European prices, you should be annoyed at yourself by making this irrelevant comment too.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion