Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-07-2018, 13:09   #61
Thargor

I've had NFC for the last 4 years and I've used it exactly zero times, only a better screen would tempt me to wait for the Pro, but I am a bit desperate now, having to carry around a Xiaomi powerbank to keep my Oneplus charged.

Is there any chance if I do go for one of these ones on Aliexpress that I won't be able to load a global Rom when one appears do you think?
Advertisement
24-07-2018, 13:21   #62
corkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post

Is there any chance if I do go for one of these ones on Aliexpress that I won't be able to load a global Rom when one appears do you think?
I assume your talking about the Mi Max 3?

There is not global variations of these devices, so they come preinstalled with a global rom for EU market etc.

So I don't see what would prevent you from putting a Global rom when available on the device or even xiaomi.eu rom.

But it is xiaomi and with there recent release of ARP on RN5, and now that they have shareholders to answer to, can not take anything for granted.
Thanks from:
24-07-2018, 14:30   #63
Snake Plisken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
I've had NFC for the last 4 years and I've used it exactly zero times, only a better screen would tempt me to wait for the Pro, but I am a bit desperate now, having to carry around a Xiaomi powerbank to keep my Oneplus charged.

It should be released in India soon enough with a global rom. If your main language is English is Chinese you will be able to live with that useful guide on optimising the Chinese rom on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/roms/optimise
Thanks from:
24-07-2018, 17:03   #64
cmac2009

Afternoon all- I'm currently trying to decide between Mi Note 3 and Mi Mix 2. I know Mi Mix 2s is also available but for the additional cost it's probably not worth it for my use.

Any experiences with the above. Slightly favouring MI Note 3 after reading some good reviews, think I would prefer front fingerprint scanner and its also 20g lighter. But lack of Xiaomi update/support is slightly putting me off.
24-07-2018, 17:48   #65

The Xiaomi Red MI 5 plus came today. Serious phone for the money. Love the big screen/ general feel and ease of use. Hopefully Mrs H. will feel the same.
Advertisement
24-07-2018, 19:58   #66
Thargor

Mi Max 3 early review:

Whoever asked about speakers I don't think you'll be disappointed, he's raving about them! Camera sounds good aswell. Can't wait now, just a couple more reviews to confirm.
Thanks from:
24-07-2018, 20:10   #67
corkie

@Thargor Shared your post in the Mi Max 3 thread!
Thanks from:
24-07-2018, 20:11   #68
Thargor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkie View Post
@Thargor Shared your post in the Mi Max 3 thread!
We have a Mi Max 3 thread?
25-07-2018, 11:13   #69
cmac2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2009 View Post
Afternoon all- I'm currently trying to decide between Mi Note 3 and Mi Mix 2. I know Mi Mix 2s is also available but for the additional cost it's probably not worth it for my use.

Any experiences with the above. Slightly favouring MI Note 3 after reading some good reviews, think I would prefer front fingerprint scanner and its also 20g lighter. But lack of Xiaomi update/support is slightly putting me off.
Anyone any experience with Mi Note 3? Specifically the lack of support for updates?
Advertisement
26-07-2018, 00:35   #70
Skyfloater

Hi, I'm looking at the Xiaomi Mi8 on Aliexpress but like quite a few others, it doesn't have the 4G band 20, only band 8. I was wondering if this was a real stumbling block as I live in north east Wicklow.
26-07-2018, 00:41   #71
allthedoyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfloater View Post
Hi, I'm looking at the Xiaomi Mi8 on Aliexpress but like quite a few others, it doesn't have the 4G band 20, only band 8. I was wondering if this was a real stumbling block as I live in north east Wicklow.

In Ireland we use two LTE frequencies - Band 3 and band 20. Its not a requirement , but especially in rural areas , you be better off with both , I believe .
(2) thanks from:
26-07-2018, 07:37   #72
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfloater View Post
According to kimovil the mi8 has bands 3 and 20
26-07-2018, 09:43   #73
Skyfloater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post
According to kimovil the mi8 has bands 3 and 20
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant the Xiaomi Mi8 SE. It's a bit smaller than the regular Mi8.
26-07-2018, 15:04   #74
cullenswood

Have been reading these threads for a while, but can't figure out which phone to go for! I am coming from about 6 years of HTC flagship ownership (from Desire to 10), but reckon Xiaomi is the way to go now for value.

I'd like a phone with decent battery life, preferably USB-C (not a deal breaker), an SD Slot, and no bigger than 6 inches. Which would be my best bet at the moment? The Redmi 5?
26-07-2018, 15:28   #75
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenswood View Post
Have been reading these threads for a while, but can't figure out which phone to go for! I am coming from about 6 years of HTC flagship ownership (from Desire to 10), but reckon Xiaomi is the way to go now for value.

I'd like a phone with decent battery life, preferably USB-C (not a deal breaker), an SD Slot, and no bigger than 6 inches. Which would be my best bet at the moment? The Redmi 5?
https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones

A great search tool

can you add to your requirements? any idea of budget?
want pure android or MIUI (xiaomis android version)?
are bands 3 and 20 a must for you? (kimovil is good for checking the bands on service providers in ireland)
whats a decent battery for you?

from what youve posted so far the A1 or A2 would suit, which have android one as well

the redmi 5 has a poor enough chip, doesnt have band 20 and runs miui, which is reflected in the price.

do you mean the note 5 ?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion