Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 2015 Boards forecast contest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

After the first week, 1-7 January ...

IMT at 6.4 C

PRC at 156%

SUN at 129%

yet to be confirmed, wind gust of 69 kts at Malin Head on 8th.

so we (you) are getting a bit more of everything so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I see the pessimists on top; the optimists on the bottom!

And Con not sticking his neck out, as usual, the boring old fart!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

next month maybe one of us should put 45c as the IMT to ruin cons chances

That won't work, as he plays off median rather than mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

16.2C max today at Oak Park according to ogimet, might be slightly different on the met summary but either way it's safe to say it's well above any of our guesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Harps wrote: »
    16.2C max today at Oak Park according to ogimet, might be slightly different on the met summary but either way it's safe to say it's well above any of our guesses

Minimum Progression - Heyo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep Docarch and yourself leading the way, I'm joint 3rd with bsal so keeping pace early on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

i know the record for January is 18.1c but is it not unusual to be getting 16.2c on January 9th.

Its 15c in Madrid and theyr having a mild January

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

pauldry wrote: »
    i know the record for January is 18.1c but is it not unusual to be getting 16.2c on January 9th.
    The following are from the Met Eireann Monthly Summaries for Max temperatures for each of the last 10 years and the date of Max:

2008..14.8..16&23

So it would appear that 16.2 is indeed the highest by some margin in the recent past. For the warmest day to be in the second quarter is not unusual.
    In fact, it would appear that it is more unusual to have the warmest day in the last quarter of the month!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cork AP has reported a gust of 79 kts at 1800...just thought I would highlight that. ;)

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Cork AP has reported a gust of 79 kts at 1800...just thought I would highlight that. ;)

80 or more and Harps has it in the bag ( wind bag )

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think that may have been a typo on the part of ME...NOAA were reporting a gust of 49 kts for Cork AP at 1800.

Will see from ME report tomorrow.

They do get them :)

335051.JPG

I think that may have been a typo on the part of ME...NOAA were reporting a gust of 49 kts for Cork AP at 1800.

Will see from ME report tomorrow.

I see from ME today, highest gust reported at Cork AP yesterday, was 57 kts.

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

That 79 kt reported gust, on the 1800 reports yesterday, would appear to have been a typo/erroneous.

Malin reported gust of 70 at 8.00

And reported 65 in the daily summary.
    And Mace Head reported 68.

After fourteen days ...

IMT on 6.3 (week 2 was 6.2)

PRC at 169% (week 2 was 182%)

SUN at 103% (week 2 was 77%)

MAX 16.2, MIN -4.0 (Mountdillon, 3rd)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

There was a couple of stations reporting -6 on the 19th

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

Yes, I noted -6.2 at Grange, and is that also known as Sligo Airport? Think it must be, anyway they are new on the reporting list and have never made it into the MS as a monthly extreme site, so if not -6.1 at Casement will make one point difference to the scoring. If these hold up, seems like they could.

BTW peak wind gust may come in at 68 rather than 70 after revisions, from what I saw. There again, if that holds up.

The IMT has fallen off since report on 14th to a current (19 day) value of 5.2 and could be level 5.0 by now as that was 5.16 by my calculation. Whether it falls any further or not remains to be seen on current forecasts would say probably about level with finish or it may recover back to 5.2 or so. If so, almost bang on the recent 30-year average after a lot of ups and downs.

Yes, I noted -6.2 at Grange, and is that also known as Sligo Airport? Think it must be, anyway they are new on the reporting list and have never made it into the MS as a monthly extreme site, so if not -6.1 at Casement will make one point difference to the scoring. If these hold up, seems like they could.

Dunsany also reported -6.2c for the 19th. http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp Might Grange and Dunsany be the same?

I'd accept -6.2c. ;)

I think they must the same place....from ME with regard to the Dunsany weather station....The AWS is situated within the grounds of Teasgasc Grange, Boycetown, Co Meath.

Okay, that makes sense, but there is a Grange in Sligo and there is a weather station that we don't see on the met-ie site but appears on meteociel maps (click on temperature, then select UK/Ireland) -- that one is near Grange which is between Ben Bulben and the Atlantic. So I thought it might be there. But the -6.2 and the other info provided above make it appear to be in Meath.

My head hurts, maybe it was just the FI portion of the GFS 00z run (check it out and make a will).

;)

• Advertisement

Ah, sure leave it at -6.1 so ;)

After 3 weeks, some estimation required as Mullingar has some missing data ...

IMT about 5.0

PRC about 133% after a rather dry week about 60%

SUN about 120% after a bright week at 160%

So, hoping to have the Feb contest entry form set up by later tomorrow or Thursday morning, look for the thread ... the bonus questions in case you want to think about them will be to predict the highest max and lowest min on the 14th at all the sites in "yesterday's weather" on the met-E site. Those include all the main stations and the second order ones too (check out the list to see what places are included if you don't already know). For the min, places like Mountdillon, Markree and Moorepark sometimes take the prize. For the max, it's more likely to be one of the better known sites anyway, I would say Valentia, Shannon, Oak Park or Casement are the most likely places although sometimes you see Finner, Sherkin, even Mullingar, and of course Phoenix Park.

It's mainly a test of matching up your choice of pattern for the day with the most likely places to be max or min. There will only be three extra points to be had for these location guesses, most of the points will be for the temperature values.

And if you're thinking ahead to the IMT, the long-term average is 5.2 C.

Yesterday's max was 10.7 at Valentia.
    And min was 2.6 at CORK AIRPORT.
    This could be a tricky one!

Sorry to say the form is not yet updated, will wait for that before posting a new thread. Meanwhile the peak gust of 71 knots at 0600h (Mace Head) may have eclipsed the previous mark for January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Sorry to say the form is not yet updated, will wait for that before posting a new thread. Meanwhile the peak gust of 71 knots at 0600h (Mace Head) may have eclipsed the previous mark for January.

All good news!

Meanwhile the peak gust of 71 knots at 0600h (Mace Head) may have eclipsed the previous mark for January.

Ha ha -- Nelson Muntz.

Here's the update after four weeks as we close in on final values ...

IMT sits right on 5.0, may finish at 4.8.

PRC is down to 113% after a relatively dry week at 55%. Finish near 110% likely.

SUN is also reduced to 110% after the past seven days managed 78% of normal. That is about where it will end up, probably.

IMT came in at 4.8 C (4.84 rounded)

I will await the MS either tomorrow or Tuesday for the other final values.

• Advertisement

IMT came in at 4.8 C (4.84 rounded)

An M.T.C. friendly number :)

Advertisement