Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dear Robin & Dades: Please never EVER ban Silvio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    The poster I was responding to said:

That was in response to being asked who should the token christian on news shows be. Far as I know, people don't have a civil right to be on tv.

And while, unlike that poster, I would support religious freedom, I do share his disdain for religious commentators getting airtime on national tv. They are pointless. Religious adherents will already know the religious arguments against whatever issue it is (or can find out from their nearest church) and non adherents are not subject to their religious obligations so wont care. If there is a non religious argument for something, then someone informed can discuss it.
    It is interesting to see such concern that Catholics aren't toeing the line, but if the 92% or whatever it is were toeing the line we probably wouldn't have divorce or contraception in this country, and we wouldn't be discussing gay marriage as the sodomy laws would still be on the books.Something to be welcomed surely?

Every step towards state secularism is to be welcomed, sure, but half assed steps which needlessly slow down progress should be rightfully decried. And as I said, given how little respect many Irish "Catholics" have for the Vatican, its the equivalent of someone being a member of the KKK simply because they like their Sunday cake sales.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I would rather no christian opinion. I do not believe in religious freedom. If you are religious you are indoctrinated / brainwashed. You should be disallowed from holding any position of authority.

Wahay! We've got a live one here...:D

Don't sit on the fence will you...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Because, if you are looking at Irish cultural Catholics picking and choosing, its pretty much the equivalent of someone being a member of the KKK simply because they like their Sunday cake sales.

Irish cultural Catholics.
    There's the problem right there.
    The poster I was responding to said:

Being able to run for, and if elected, hold, public office is a civil right in my view.Regardless of religion, or lack of religion, everybody should have the right to do this.This goes for believers in unicorns or the Loch Ness monster as well.If voters want to reject a person because they don't agree with those beliefs, they are of course free to vote for someone else.

It is interesting to see such concern that Catholics aren't toeing the line, but if the 92% or whatever it is were toeing the line we probably wouldn't have divorce or contraception in this country, and we wouldn't be discussing gay marriage as the sodomy laws would still be on the books.Something to be welcomed surely?

If you are catholic you do not have the right to hold opposing views to your church.

As for your point that it's a civil right to hold office I disagree.

religion has infiltrated every office of power.

You cannot trust someone like sarah palin or david quinn in power, look at our history and how much damage religious people have done to our country already.

I have a post from earlier, doubt if you will read it but you should

Article on how religion has influenced Irish Medicine and Health policies

Its a long article, but very interesting, and it really highlights how much of a destructive force the Catholic church has had on medicine in Ireland

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80591369

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Silvio, if it passed in a referendum. Would you still think it was okay for the government to prevent same sex marriages as it's not traditional? Just want to see if you have a consistently warped view of democratic will.

If the demcratically elected TD's, democratically voted down GM legislation in the Dail I'd be quite content. Though blockng the introduction of intentional unborn baby killing is of course the priority...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

If the demcratically elected TD's, democratically voted down GM legislation in the Dail I'd be quite content. Though blockng the introduction of intentional unborn baby killing is of course the priority...

Since you used the word democratically twice in one sentence, it would appear that you consider democracy important. However, you are seeking or rather just hoping that said democratically elected TDs will actually vote against the wishes of the electorate. You know those people who wanted the TDs to represent their views. That is as anti-democratic as it gets.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Since you used the word democratically twice in one sentence, it would appear that you consider democracy important. However, you are seeking or rather just hoping that said democratically elected TDs will actually vote against the wishes of the electorate. You know those people who wanted the TDs to represent their views. That is as anti-democratic as it gets.

Its all part of the democratic process...:)

Its all part of the democratic process...:)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSukbz2tblRJYURThE9yEj-J5NrJvBszNimgE20yrcG2PdcDgZd0w

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSukbz2tblRJYURThE9yEj-J5NrJvBszNimgE20yrcG2PdcDgZd0w

Heck, this vote is part of the process. 1 + 1 = ?

Heck, this vote is part of the process. 1 + 1 = ?

Okay, once more for the remedial section of the class.

A vastly oversimplified democratic process goes like this.

1. A general election is held.

2. In this election TDs are elected based on the votes and thus the will of the voters in each electoral area.

3. A government is formed from these TDs to ostensibly govern and represent the will of the people who elected them.

What you are hoping for is that these elected representatives will ignore the will of the people and instead legislate according to the views of a tiny (8% at last count) minority. That is undemocratic.

Do you get it yet? Or am I going to have to break out the finger paints?

• Advertisement

Newsflash for the arrogant spivs at the front of the class.

If more TD's pass through the Níl lobby there ain't no X in Ireland...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

For the nth and last time I'm explaining this (I'd advise others to treat this view the same from now on) there WILL be legislation for X one way or another by the summer. This is a fact. This is NOT an opinion. This is no longer up for discussion.

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

a petty criminal at the front of the class? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You still don't get how democracy works. No wonder you work against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Sarky wrote: »
    You still don't get how democracy works. No wonder you work against it.

But we're the fascists. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] arrogant spiv[...]
    Silvio is taking a short holiday...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

robindch wrote: »
    Silvio is taking a short holiday...:;

Going for the irony here, but feck it; HALLELUJAH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

For the nth and last time I'm explaining this (I'd advise others to treat this view the same from now on) there WILL be legislation for X one way or another by the summer. This is a fact. This is NOT an opinion. This is no longer up for discussion.

Given that the party whip will be applied, and the big majority that the government has, there is simply no way that the legislation will not pass. To think otherwise is purely wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

*shakes fist*

Now he'll squeal oppression when he gets back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Just what he wanted, I fear:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

And pigs will fly :)

Just what he wanted, I fear:(
    On the Third Day, he can rise again (if he wants to).

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Looks like the Iona Institute, as a, ahem, "charity", will be exempt from property tax. :mad:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/New-legislation-to-allow-for-property-tax-exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mambo wrote: »
    Looks like the Iona Institute, as a, ahem, "charity", will be exempt from property tax. :mad:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/New-legislation-to-allow-for-property-tax-exemptions
    Not really the biggest issue. I doubt that they own any property.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joe_Christ

Incredible that in the 21st century this sort of thing still exists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭swampgas

Joe_Christ wrote: »
    Incredible that in the 21st century this sort of thing still exists

Not really - the human brain hasn't changed much in thousands of years and religion has coexisted with humanity for ages. I suspect that it will take many generations to disentangle them (much as I hope otherwise).

A few posts deleted here.

If anybody wants to cut, paste and post prayers, here's a better place to do it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 micho

Interesting, should Quinn decide to take legal action the defence of honest opinion contained in the Defamation Act(2009) could come into play. however honest opinion must be based on facts. The question here would be if the original article in its contents was based on the original video and what it argued then Quinn may not have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I don't have a link as I'm on my phone but I saw today that following the landmark surrogacy ruling today (biological mother is the legal parent rather than the woman who gives birth), the Iona Institute has called for a legal ban on surrogacy. I didn't think they could surprise me any more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Can someone tell me what's pro-life about calling for a ban on surrogacy?

Advertisement