Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-03-2010, 12:23   #16
Skittle

You can tether out of the box. You don't need any additional software as long as you can install the HTCSync application on your computer as it installs the necessary drivers. I've been tethering for two months now with no problems what so ever using 3G/HSDPA connection. I'm not sure about tethering over WiFi.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-03-2010, 16:08   #17
Krusty_Clown

Send a message via AIM to Krusty_Clown
Quote:
Originally Posted by draffodx View Post
Apple are just chancing there arm at slowing down the progress of Android, why do you think they only targeted HTC and not Google themselves?
The dedicated thread is probably a more suitable place to reply, but the reasons cited in The Register's article for not suing Google directly seem logical:
1) No home court advantage: Apple will have some judicial sympathy, suing a Taiwanese company in a US court, which they would not otherwise gain, if they were suing another US incorporated company (Google).
2) Unlike Google, HTC do not have a library of patents with which to arm themselves to counter-sue Apple (HTC has only a small number of largely un-related patents)
3) The measure will hurt Google anyway, as other manufacturers may be dissuaded from entering the Android hardware market.

Any further revelations of the availability of 2.1?
Thanks from:
05-03-2010, 13:52   #18
Plex

I'm getting a little weary waiting for 2.1.....

"The enhanced HTC Sense experience will also be offered as a free upgrade on the HTC Hero in Europe and Asia"

http://www.htc.com/uk/press.aspx?id=124748&lang=1033
05-03-2010, 14:52   #19
Atomic Pineapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post
I'm getting a little weary waiting for 2.1.....

"The enhanced HTC Sense experience will also be offered as a free upgrade on the HTC Hero in Europe and Asia"

http://www.htc.com/uk/press.aspx?id=124748&lang=1033
Well as a developer I hope they take there time and make sure Sense doesn't do as much damage to the Android Api's as it currently does to 1.5.

I've come across 3 pretty major things that sense has distrupted and others have come across even more
05-03-2010, 15:55   #20
R28

Quote:
Originally Posted by draffodx View Post
Well as a developer I hope they take there time and make sure Sense doesn't do as much damage to the Android Api's as it currently does to 1.5.

I've come across 3 pretty major things that sense has distrupted and others have come across even more
As someone with a HTC Hero I want them to upgrade to 2.1 with Sense ASAP.

Don't want to seem like a demanding child but I want it now damnit! I've been holding off on rooting the phone and getting a 2.1 upgrade because I was hoping the offical sense upgrade would be just around the corner....but it seems like they keep on pushing it forward, from mid february, to mid march, now I hear end of march.

Should I just go ahead and root/upgrade myself?
Advertisement
05-03-2010, 17:11   #21
mooman

Quote:
Originally Posted by R28 View Post

Don't want to seem like a demanding child but I want it now damnit! I've been holding off on rooting the phone and getting a 2.1 upgrade because I was hoping the offical sense upgrade would be just around the corner....but it seems like they keep on pushing it forward, from mid february, to mid march, now I hear end of march.

Go for it, it only takes 10 minutes and is easily reversed if you don't like it. I held off until today, I wanted to keep this phone above board after having a jailbroken iPhone before it which was a lot of hassle. But all this pushing the update back every few weeks pushed me over the edge. I found this guys guides helpful if you don't already know how to do it.
Rooting: http://www.sizzledcore.com/2009/12/0...ecovery-image/

Installing a ROM: http://www.sizzledcore.com/2009/12/0...m-on-htc-hero/

I installed the Villain3.1 Rom that Mr. E recommended http://www.sizzledcore.com/2009/12/0...m-on-htc-hero/
05-03-2010, 17:14   #22
Mr E
Administrator

New version of Villain due tonight. Hold off until it's released.
The process is very straight forward.
05-03-2010, 17:33   #23
mooman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E View Post
New version of Villain due tonight. Hold off until it's released.
The process is very straight forward.
Too late for me but I'm more than happy to do it again later, it's a lot easier than I thought
05-03-2010, 17:42   #24
Plex

Quote:
Originally Posted by R28 View Post

End of March..eh? I might go with Villain as well...
Advertisement
07-03-2010, 11:20   #25

I wouldnt be too pushed about the new release. I only started to develop apps for android and you'll be surprised about how little its going to change things due to hardware limitations on the hero
07-03-2010, 14:09   #26
Breezer

I'm having an issue with AAC files (eAAC+ really) on the Hero. A lot of my music is showing up as "unknown artist" and "unknown album" despite being tagged properly in iTunes and Songbird (on the Mac) and Winamp (on Windows). The same thing happened before I converted from regular AAC and MP3 to eAAC+, but to a lesser extent.

Any ideas how I can solve this? It's things like this that only half work that make me consider giving up and buying an iPhone, much as I dislike them Eh, no, scratch that - see edit

Edit: I still haven't discovered exactly what was wrong, but I've figured enough out to solve the issue. Figured I may as well post my solution in case anyone else has the same problem. Android was having difficulty reading the tags of most eAAC+ files that I had converted from MP3 (I'm not sure why). It had no problem reading the tags of files that had originally been AAC. Unfortunately, the only thing that seems to work is to burn my MP3s to CD, then reimport them as eAAC+, then transfer them back to the Hero. Any MP3 files I had were 320kbps thankfully, so the quality should still be ok. It's gonna be a long night, but at least I have it working now

Last edited by Breezer; 07-03-2010 at 17:36.
07-03-2010, 17:56   #27
_sparkie_

i have been thinking about getting an iphone but they are too expensive for me, so if i buy an unlocked hero i can just stick my 3 pay sim into it and everything will work?
08-03-2010, 20:05   #28

sync over 3g has been working for a while now
08-03-2010, 20:15   #29

Hey guys,
Does anyone know is there any android phone with a keyboard available in Ireland, was thinking G1, droid or backflip, but as far as I can see none of them are available here.
08-03-2010, 22:20   #30
_sparkie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by subway View Post
sync over 3g has been working for a while now
was that directed at me?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text