Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options
1919293949597»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Up around Molls gap. It was really beautiful could have stayed there all night.

Fair play to you vistafinder! Nothing like high ground on a full moon. Magical.

I am climbing again on Friday, hopefully the snow and ice are extensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

have to agree Met Eireann totally got this one right, they predicted a non-event and thats what we got. Rachel was blown out of all proportion but I guess that's better than pulling a 1987 Michael Fish on it, if such a thing happened here.

Despite seeing barely any snow all winter at my location, im looking forward to the next few weeks which look set to be very dry, crisp and sunny with frosty nights. Great conditions to go outside for walks and explore the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Up around Molls gap. It was really beautiful could have stayed there all night.

Thought I recognised it; just down the road that side of Blackwater.

A stunningly beautiful day up here.. Kerry Mountains 400 ft asl. Bright sun on dazzling snowy mountains and just a light breeze.. Hard frost; washing stiff on the line and only just loosening. Will sit out with my work later when the sun comes to the back of the house. Three snowdrops out now and a bright purple primula.. Maybe we who live perforce simply with financial and physical limitations live more IN the weather than many do. The day is shaped around it. Today, washing as no drier and it will dry well.. It becomes an integral part of every hour of every day, gently and naturally. Shopping tomorrow hopefully and I am thinking that I saw LIDL have their seeds put so a packet each week now and planning in my mind what will be out there this year. No great hypes; simply readiness for whatever comes. No disappointments...Fire slow and smoky to light when there is little wind! Ah but the sheer utter glory out there today! Pure white in sun light..

Gonzo wrote: »
    have to agree Met Eireann totally got this one right, they predicted a non-event and thats what we got. Rachel was blown out of all proportion but I guess that's better than pulling a 1987 Michael Fish on it, if such a thing happened here.

Despite seeing barely any snow all winter at my location, im looking forward to the next few weeks which look set to be very dry, crisp and sunny with frosty nights. Great conditions to go outside for walks and explore the countryside.

And for us who grow, great for getting the garden started... drives of course with limited mobility too.. planning an away day to Dingle very soon! Think of Inch beach from the top and OH! Slea Head drive and Conor pass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Wouldn't shout too loud about their forecast for Dublin last night (-7c and some snow).

In this location min was - 2.2C and zero precipitation. Currently cloudless, sunny and exactly 0.0C.

Min at Casement by 6 am was -5.0 and it may have gone below that after. It was -4 at Dublin Airport. Not a million miles away from -7. They only mentioned a chance of showers, which is self explanatory.

Your -2.2 sounds a bit high to me. I think maybe your setup requires attention, not theirs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I despair that folks are splitting hairs over a few degrees , since when did metrology become an exact science

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

since when did metrology become an exact science

January 1914? :p
    http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/1520-0493%281914%2942%3C11%3AMAAES%3E2.0.CO%3B2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Akrasia wrote: »

When you are finished reading that you can send me on a brief synopsis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

FWVT wrote: »
    Min at Casement by 6 am was -5.0 and it may have gone below that after. It was -4 at Dublin Airport. Not a million miles away from -7. They only mentioned a chance of showers, which is self explanatory.

Your -2.2 sounds a bit high to me. I think maybe your setup requires attention, not theirs.

Plus its not as if they only forecast the weather for met stations!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Gurteen's min was -5.9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

FWVT wrote: »

Nope, my station's temperature readings are Gospel! For this location.

I make no claims for anywhere else - nor do I waste time dissing ME (check my posts!), merely commented in passing and in response to another poster regarding their forecast for last night which they put out after the 9 o'clock news.

It's cloudless, calm and sunny here and 3.5C.

Receding snow.... still awesome..e0lunp.jpg

fuxrv5.jpg

292bvd5.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely photos Grace. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I make no claims for anywhere else - nor do I waste time dissing ME (check my posts!), merely commented in passing and in response to another poster regarding their forecast for last night which they put out after the 9 o'clock news.

Was their forecast last night not for temps ranging 0c to -7c? If you got -2.2c...then their forecast was accurate. :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Lovely photos Grace. :)

Thanks,,,, blessed with a lovely scene outside my kitchen window..;) People told me my new camera was "garbage".... a cheap Vivitar , but it does a fine job...Less than E40 including card and batteries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Was their forecast last night not for temps ranging 0c to -7c? If you got -2.2c...then their forecast was accurate. :)

I don't want to keep arguing the point but their graphic showed a big round blue circle with -7 over Dublin and the symbol for snow showers; such a combination struck me as improbable (to say the least) as soon as I saw it!

The commentary went along the lines of "temps will range from zero to minus 7" and the presenter waved at the graphic, which clearly showed a gradient with with the zeros in the west and the low numbers centred on the Dub -7.

The normal non-weather enthusiasts in the house got very excited and said "it's going to be -7 with snow showers in Dublin tonight". Which was a pretty reasonable summary of what ME were saying on RTE just a few hours before the predicted events.

That's all I'm saying on this topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It's +7C in Galway now...it better not be melting my mountain snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

The commentary went along the lines of "temps will range from zero to minus 7" and the presenter waved at the graphic, which clearly showed a gradient with with the zeros in the west and the low numbers centred on the Dub -7.

I'm right on the West coast in Westport. -4.5 last night. I always take the general temps with a pinch of salt as local conditions vary immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just as a note also, the minimum here in Bray overnight was +1.6C, although it's what I was expecting being on the coast with an onshore breeze. The only way to forecast these situations wrt temperature is to give a large range of minimum temperatures and that's exactly what ME did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I find some of the sly digs in here at whoever they are aimed at getting tiresome. It is not an easy thing to do to forecast with accuracy at any range whether it's 6 hours or 240 hrs. I don't think the difficulty is appreciated enough. We are talking about a highly dynamic and complex system where millions of variables are basically chaotic and liable to change at very short notice.

People need to show a bit of understanding of the difficulties presented (and most do) and I think a lot of the criticism is blind and unfair.

That's my opinion on that.

In terms of the outlook nothing exciting for the forseeable future with cold nights but mostly sunny days. Might turn a bit cloudier this weekend. High pressure is going to take us to at least mid February on current projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Beautiful clear day over most of the country , some snow on mountains around the country;

ScreenHunter_68%20Feb.%2004%2014.32.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I don't want to keep arguing the point but their graphic showed a big round blue circle with -7 over Dublin and the symbol for snow showers; such a combination struck me as improbable (to say the least) as soon as I saw it!

Got heavy snow here at -7.4c on December 21st 2010... http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=1877.msg40891#msg40891

And a repeat the following night at -5.2c... http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=1877.msg41129#msg41129

It can happen. ;)

Rooy wrote: »
    Beautiful clear day over most of the country , some snow on mountains around the country;

ScreenHunter_68%20Feb.%2004%2014.32.jpg

Awesome! Can you see me waving!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thanks for all of the forecasts, photos and reports
    Until the next Event Thread, discussion continues in

>

The Current Conditions Thread

The Winter 2014/15 Thread

The FI Winter Charts Thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement