Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baldoyle to Portmarnock Walkway

• 24-05-2015 6:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I do a lot of running and cycling out here and its a shame there is no walkway from Baldoyle to Portmarnock, the road is in fact dangerous to cycle on and has no footpath. Its such a waste as the other walkway's in the area are well used and this is like the missing link.

Has there ever been plan for this or is the ground not suitable or something..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There was talk recently of a path/cycle way. Not 100% but pretty sure there is something planned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

There was talk recently of a path/cycle way. Not 100% but pretty sure there is something planned.

That's great news, hopefully something comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

there is somthing planned but think it could be a while away yet. there was mention of a swords to sutton cycleway and this would be part of it

neris wrote: »
    there is somthing planned but think it could be a while away yet. there was mention of a swords to sutton cycleway and this would be part of it

I am surprised it has never been done before, some bad roads on this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

So much potential for this.
    would be great for tourists to cycle from Clontarf to Howth / Portmarnock.
    It's an awful road for cyclists to be on.

Some day perhaps...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

so planning application only been lodged in next while, mid july planning granted if theres no objections which im sure with the estuary etc there,ll be some do gooders/NIMBYs lodging objections, then tender for builder has to be issued. Could be 2016 or 2017 before anything in the way of building works start on this

Something in the northside people about this last week, I did not see it myself was just told about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dub13 wrote: »
    Something in the northside people about this last week, I did not see it myself was just told about it.

Iirc it got approved and funding sorted for first phase. Work starts this summer, it will be on the land side and not the estuary side for environmental impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Davy wrote: »

Iirc it got approved and funding sorted for first phase. Work starts this summer, it will be on the land side and not the estuary side for environmental impact.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

The Local Authority have finally approved funding for the long awaited cycleway set to go from Malahide to Sutton across Malahide Estuary. The development is known as the Broadmeadow Way and will provide a pedestrian and cycle way between Malahide and Sutton.
    This has been on the table for a number of years and Councillors have been pushing for movement on it for some time now.
    Speaking to the County Leader, local Green Party Councillor, David Healy said; It is good that this section has been prioritised and that it is proceeding rapidly. What seems to have happened is that responsibility for this seems to have moved quite often due to people changing jobs in the council its self, and that seems to have slowed things down.
    He concluded by saying; For now though I am happy that it has been recognised as a priority and that the council have responded to the public s request for movement on it. This has been on the agenda for four years and we were all quite surprised that it has taken this long to become a priority for the council. It is part of a broader plan and we can only hope that the rest of the plan doesn t take as long as this part did. I m just happy for now to see it moving.
    Design has already begun for the Baldoyle to Portmarnock cycleway which is the first part of a larger Coastal Walking and Cycling route that will connect the whole of the North County and will serve as a massive tourist attraction upon its completion.

[font=PT Serif, Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/05/24/progress-on-malahide-cycleway/[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I do a lot of running and cycling out here and its a shame there is no walkway from Baldoyle to Portmarnock, the road is in fact dangerous to cycle on and has no footpath. Its such a waste as the other walkway's in the area are well used and this is like the missing link.

Has there ever been plan for this or is the ground not suitable or something..?

There a plans to build a path over the baldoyle racecourse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

there was discussion about it on the 4th of May Howth Malahide council meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/cycleway-and-path-finally-on-the-way-35042423.html
    A long-awaited footpath and cycleway from Baldoyle to Portmarnock should be provided by mid-October next year, according to Fingal County Council, who updated local councillors on the project at a meeting of the Malahide/Howth Area Committee.

The preparation of the tender documentation for this project is currently underway, according to the council and should be ready by the end of this month, with the project likely to be completed by the middle of October, next year.

Great news

not sure if its related but theres an article in the indo today about an application been lodged for the development of the coast sites that planning lapsed on, wonder are they using any money paid by the developers to get started on this walkway

http://www.independent.ie/news/revealed-massive-new-homes-project-is-planned-for-site-abandoned-in-2007-35091300.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Passed yesterday and there was a mechanical digger clearing scrub on the coastal side between Moyne and the roundabout and opposite the Dublin Airport outer marker beacon site. Looks like it had started yesterday.

tricky D wrote: »
    Passed yesterday and there was a mechanical digger clearing scrub on the coastal side between Moyne and the roundabout and opposite the Dublin Airport outer marker beacon site. Looks like it had started yesterday.

Is the path to be in the inner side of the road where the new fences are or the outer part where the sea is?

moloner4 wrote: »
    Is the path to be in the inner side of the road where the new fences are or the outer part where the sea is?

Land side due to EIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I saw it in another thread here, but the works on the seaward side are intended to create a space for the brent geese that migrate in every year. The path is intended to be on the land side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Perhaps clearing coastal side will be for something ancillary. Any one know of any map for this? Cant find one myself and curious as to how they'll deal with the Outer Marker which is pretty much an unmovable object.

Will the cycle way then head into portmarnock village or will it go with the back roads to malahide?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Any update on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/localnotes/coastal-route-is-advancing-35692141.html
    Engineering consultants have been appointed to work on the delivery of a crucial piece of Fingal's developing coastal walkway and cycleway, by linking Portmarnock and Baldoyle.
    All of that plus weather considerations means the spring of 2018 is the most likely time for construction to begin on the project

So... sometime late next year?

That's great news, let's hope it does not slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thelord

What impact will this have on wildlife ? Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) are set out under the European Habitats Directive Baldoyle Bay. I was at the meeting and the Locals are very keen to protect the Natural beauty of the Area.

thelord wrote: »
    What impact will this have on wildlife ? Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) are set out under the European Habitats Directive Baldoyle Bay. I was at the meeting and the Locals are very keen to protect the Natural beauty of the Area.

I was under the impression it wouldn't go through any wild life parts, just the farms.

moloner4 wrote: »
    I was under the impression it wouldn't go through any wild life parts, just the farms.

I hope your correct but i got the idea it was was going parellel to the coast road right the way along so would cut along the Special Areas of Conservation

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

thelord wrote: »
    I hope your correct but i got the idea it was was going parellel to the coast road right the way along so would cut along the Special Areas of Conservation

Isn't the SAC for the Nesting Bird population actually out in the Estuary? and not on land at all. A Problem we have in this country is building anything even remotely close to a Heritage site or SAC. which delays anything getting built.

• Advertisement

McAlban wrote: »
    Isn't the SAC for the Nesting Bird population actually out in the Estuary? and not on land at all. A Problem we have in this country is building anything even remotely close to a Heritage site or SAC. which delays anything getting built.

THe Area with Gorse Bushes and Grassland around it is also part of the SAC. Lapwings nest there and also a rare plant Barley grass grows there.

Advertisement