Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

septictank wrote: »
    Doran's on the junction of north earl street an awl lads pub but good craic, renamed The Barry Fitzgerald, you would get a great feed upstairs for nearly nothing.

it was Barry Fitzgeralds for years before became dorans.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭septictank

it was Barry Fitzgeralds for years before became dorans.

Is it back to Dorans again, haven't been down there in a few years.

It was Dorans in the 70s and up until the mid late 80s.

I knew the new owner Frank Quinn at the time and helped him change it to the Barry Fitzgerald as he had to get permission from the Fitzgerald estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The Submarine Bar at Crumlin Cross.
    I remember it when it was an old, small dark and dingey pub.
    Smiths (builders providers) bought and developed the site and turned the Submarine into a huge and very popular venue, particularly popular during sporting events.
    Enter the recession, numbers dwindled, and the receivers stepped in and closed it down.
    Now the receivers are looking for planning permission to convert a large part of it into a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not city and not all that famous but the Sandyford House recently closed its doors for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Anyone remember the Grattan pub on Capel st? Used to be great for gigs (upstairs) - could be Jack Nealons now?

Also, just across the street, was Gubu (now Pantibar) which in its day was one of the best bars in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Grattan pub on Capel st? Used to be great for gigs (upstairs) - could be Jack Nealons now?

Wasn't that the Kingsway Bar once upon a time - it used to have ballads and other music upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The grove, along the canal near the the Army barracks.

Also at Harold's cross bridge the Irish house.

RustyNut wrote: »
    The Bolton Horse, right outside Bolton Street tech. Many a class was taken there. Was blown up during my time there. Gas heater issue if I remember rightly.

Remember that well, used to go down for our three o clock teabreak and not return.

First pub going into the city on the north quays,
    Sarsfield bar , many a day n night I was in there

And just further on down the bark kitchen , enough said about that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

The fox & Pheasant off Capel st was good for gigs and the Crane in Crane lane opp the oak was a nice pub with a snug in the corner, someone probably mentioned the underground at the juction of Georges st and Dame st tiny place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,741 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A Disgrace wrote: »

Also, just across the street, was Gubu (now Pantibar) which in its day was one of the best bars in town
    Ah, the Earl Grattan! Yeah, that's Jack Nealon's now. The Grattan was a great spot for gigs back in the day. Fond memories. :)

Ah, the Earl Grattan! Yeah, that's Jack Nealon's now. The Grattan was a great spot for gigs back in the day. Fond memories. :)

Saw the Pale there a few times good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Fitzharris pub in Ringsend. What a brilliantly dead pub where time stood still. I remember they used to have a special for OAPs on OAP day (Friday?) where you could get a glass of stout for 50p - actually, loads of places across Ireland used to do something similar. The pub next door was the Oarsman and a couple of doors down used to be called Bunit and Simpson(among other names).

But if you like the Mulligans/O'Donoghues/The Gravediggers/Conways/Mother Redcaps style pub, Fitzharris's was the place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

A good few years before my time but I've heard from many older people that The Drake in Finglas Village was one of the best around back in the 80s and early 90s for entertainment and then turned into a kip and now gone altogether.

TheBlock wrote: »
    The Magnet - Pearse Steet was a great early shop with a mixture of Locals, Dockers, Postmen and Ringsends hiding. Great for a game of Pool changed it's name to the Widow Scanlons and then became a spar which closed. Terrible waste.

Let's not forget the infamous Widow Scallans on Pearse Street. Was only there once with a local pal of mine. Once was more than enough.

Who could forget the Widow Scallan's and its blue and yellow paint. And the duke box, and the lads with particular tattoos playing pool. That was about it. Oh, and this of course. I still remember a certain politician nearly in tears roaring in the Dáil and shaking that day's newspaper after a funeral in Finglas a few days after that 1994 incident.

Tom McGaughren of RTÉ presented that report - that's a blast from the past. Haven't even thought of him in 20 years, but his accent is still as familiar as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It was called GF Handel's for a number of years in between - late 90's timeframe.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

A good few years before my time but I've heard from many older people that The Drake in Finglas Village was one of the best around back in the 80s and early 90s for entertainment and then turned into a kip and now gone altogether.
    True, though you can go back a bit further for the really good nights there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

TheBlock wrote: »
    I was first served a pint in a pub (Furstenberg, and I can still taste it) in the Horse and Tram in 1990 or so.

Ah, The Horse and Tram! There was a brilliant jazz band used play there Sunday afternoons - if only I could remember their name. It was a long name. They played "Plastic Jesus" and one of them, a trumpeter I think, used walk along the bar playing. They played in Bowes in Fleet St one time and some of the band ended up on the street, entertaining the bus queues while still playing together with the rest of the band inside. Late 80s, if anyone can remember them.

chinwag wrote: »
    Was there a bit of a Groundhog Day vibe going on though? :D

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    It was called GF Handel's for a number of years in between - late 90's timeframe.

Must have been two GF Handel pubs if Jack Nealon's on Capel Street was also called that. The pub that's now called Arthur's on Thomas Street used to be GF Handel. Before that it used to be called the more logical Robert Emmet (Emmet was hanged a few metres from the pub in September 1803, in front of St Catherine's Church, while the world premiere of Handel's Messiah was down on Fishamble Street in April 1742, here).

On Fishamble Street itself, the Karma pub had consistently the cheapest pints in Dublin for a good time in the early 2000s. Not exactly a traditional pub, though. It's now part of the George Frederic Handel Hotel.

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Must have been two GF Handel pubs if Jack Nealon's on Capel Street was also called that. The pub that's now called Arthur's on Thomas Street used to be GF Handel. Before that it used to be called the more logical Robert Emmet (Emmet was hanged a few metres from the pub in September 1803, in front of St Catherine's Church, while the world premiere of Handel's Messiah was down on Fishamble Street in April 1742, here).

On Fishamble Street itself, the Karma pub had consistently the cheapest pints in Dublin for a good time in the early 2000s. Not exactly a traditional pub, though. It's now part of the George Frederic Handel Hotel.
    The Thomas St. one came after Capel St. Not sure if they co-existed though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

The Peacock , it was under marlboro street carpark on the corner, its now a russian restaurant called Admiral.....

Jesus it was dodgy but some buzz.

I was in there one night when 2 detectives along with two uniform walked in , place went silent and everyone stood up and staired at them until they left lol

Sureal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,741 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

shroom007 wrote: »
    Saw the Pale there a few times good stuff
    LOL! Matt & Shane were friends of a friend. I went to quite a few of their gigs.

and the old Shamrock with the fish tanks down the middle,now all the pubs in Finglas are sh*t

Does anybody remember the Sinn Féin club on Blessington Street? Here's a photo from the hugely interesting Comeheretome website.

I was fascinated going in there for the first time, actually each of the 3 times I ended up there. This would have been in the early 1990s, and I remember going to - ahem - line dancing in Barry's Hotel around the same time. If my memory serves me, it was downstairs and there was at least one major raid on it by the Garda in the 1990s for being packed with people at some ungodly hour.

I just googled Sinn Féin club and came across a brilliant article on underground Dublin clubs on the Comeheretome website:

http://comeheretome.com/2014/02/14/bona-fides-kips-and-early-houses/

"On the other side of the political divide, and probably more difficult to get into, were the republican and left-wing drinking clubs. These included Official Sinn Fein’s ‘Club Ui Cadhain‘ at 28 Gardiner Place, the Provisional Sinn Fein‘s office/drinking club at 5 Blessington Street and the back of Connolly Books which was ran by the Communist Party on East Essex Street. I heard, on occasion, there were also serious sessions in the sound-proof music room in the basement of Liberty Hall.
    If you were able to make it until 7am, you could then make your way to the ‘early houses’ on the quays or close to the fruit and vegetable market at Smithfield. These pubs were given special early-morning licences in 1927 for dock workers, traders, fishermen and other shift-workers."

I think there's actually a Tory/unionist club off Camden Street that's still going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

^
    Fantastic article some great information in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The pub itself isnt closed but does anyone remember the downstairs section in madigans on north earl street?
    I used to be brought in there for our dinner after shopping when I was a chisler

Someone mentioned the Grove on Grove Road, that was a great shop. I was there all the time and the night it closed we were instructed by PH to drink every last drop of alcohol left, that was one crazy night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Ah, The Horse and Tram! There was a brilliant jazz band used play there Sunday afternoons - if only I could remember their name. It was a long name. They played "Plastic Jesus" and one of them, a trumpeter I think, used walk along the bar playing. They played in Bowes in Fleet St one time and some of the band ended up on the street, entertaining the bus queues while still playing together with the rest of the band inside. Late 80s, if anyone can remember them.

Was it"the long john jump band"?

• Advertisement

The Baily Court in Howth is looking awful nowadays. Passed it a couple of days ago and it looks even more derelict than in this photo. Despite its very recent decline, it dates from c. 1800 and has an architectural history worthy enough to be listed on the hugely interesting/addictive Buildings of Ireland website.

Advertisement