Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Awful Songs From the Past-80s,90s etc....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

BBC 4 regularly show reruns of episodes of Top Of The Pops from the 80s and recently they showed these two "classics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Always hated this from the 90's and it was constantly played. The lyrics sound like something a 12 year old would write about a crush :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Remember this absolute tripe??
    Even The Cheeky Girls had more hits than these two fools.

aw man, tune! :pac::)

Can anyone else remember this barrel of laughs??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Used to hear this on a Sunday morning on County Sound. Used to and still does drive me demented.

• Advertisement

I already mentioned this on the "Songs we never want to hear again" thread, but it also deserves its place here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Lorelli! wrote: »
    This monstrosity must have been mentioned before! I remember seeing this on tv when I was about 12/13 and looked over at my brother and we both couldnt stop laughing :/ :pac:

I'd rather listen to THAT than L!ttle M!x.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Motopepe wrote: »
    Dude111,
    Don't worry be Happy is by Bobby McFerrin. I recommend that you find it, listen to it again and crank up the volume. It is perhaps a frivolous number but cringe worthy and stupid it is not. The vocal talent of Bobby McFerrin is well worth exploring.
    Of course, no more than yourself, this is just my opinion. Have a listen to Bobby McFerrinn and Robin Williams doing the Beatles Come Together.

There was an urban myth floating around pre internet days that Bobby McFerrin had blown his brains out. Of course he's still with us, he was on BBC4 doc with Stuart Cope land last night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BBC 4 regularly show reruns of episodes of Top Of The Pops from the 80s and recently they showed these two "classics".

A song about nuclear war from the people who started a Japanese fashion trend, what's not to like ?

BTW speaking of Japanese fashion there's this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Save Your Love - a song that the late Larry Gogan hated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Going Japanese was a nice bit of armchair travel for me (though I did happen to have the sound off at the time!).

I remember 80s pop videos ranging from great to dire, but when I first saw The Karate Rap a few years ago it reached a new low for me as yet unsurpassed. At first I thought it was a spoof of pop video styles, but found it was actually made in ernest (and presumably at some expense), which somehow made it even more hilarious. No wonder I can't remember It; it appears to have sunk without trace in the US, never mind making it across the pond. (Fortunately for karate's public image).

The tune's innocuous enough, to be fair, and I think the uniformed group doing exercises must be from a real karate club. But everything else - the purpose, attitudes, culture - is just so - gloriously - wrong. (The reason he never has to fight is that nobody wants to fight a Samurai? When karate was developed as an anti-Samurai defence? And how could anyone tell anyway - Samurai gear as practical streetwear, even if it was legal? Just one wee detail, and it just goes on).

Can't remember if I've posted it here before, but couldn't resist the excuse (need a bit of a laugh in this gloomy weather)!

• Betty Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Padre101 wrote: »
    The Chicken Song (c. 1986?)

Hold a chicken in the air, stick a deck chair up your nose,
    Fly a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes...

...and though you hate this song, you'll be humming it for weeks.
    Thanks. Really, thank you so much. Great ear worm I have now.

In fairness, the song was deliberately trying to be bad. It was a parody ofor 'Agadoo' which was the greatest act of aural terrorism of the 80s

BTW how is it that Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers haven't gotten a mention up to now? Hard to imagine that they had three UK no 1 s in a row with that lazy rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most novelty songs, anything by Zig and Zag, Dustin or Pajo the rat.
    I don't think that Zig and Zag Tijuana Gypsies Stole My Personal Stereo would pass the censors now.

There was an awful parody version of the Wild Rover that started "I've been a drunk driver for many a year...." popular on County Sound back in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BTW how is it that Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers haven't gotten a mention up to now? Hard to imagine that they had three UK no 1 s in a row with that lazy rubbish.

Or the equally awful Irish copycat version, mashed together Irish showband and early rock and roll clips. I forget who was responsible for that musical abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Itsy-bitsy, Teeny-weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

branie2 wrote: »
    Itsy-bitsy, Teeny-weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.

Timmy Mallet wasn't it. Thanks for dredging up a long repressed painful memory :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cotton-Eye Joe by the Rednex.
    Achy-Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus.
    Very popular with line dancers :rolleyes:

Jesus, everywhere you turned back then you were assaulted by this sh*tkicker trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Timmy Mallet wasn't it. Thanks for dredging up a long repressed painful memory :P

Originally a million seller for Brian Hyland in 1960 and quite controversial for it's "risqué" lyrics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Any of the Gawd awful cover versions done by Boyzone or similar.

Cotton-Eye Joe by the Rednex.
    Achy-Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus.
    Very popular with line dancers :rolleyes:

Jesus, everywhere you turned back then you were assaulted by this sh*tkicker trash.

Rednex werent even authentic ****kickers. A bunch of Italians who decided the world needed country n western techno.

Advertisement