Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Awful Songs From the Past-80s,90s etc....

• 18-08-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Apologies all round if there is already a thread on this,but the reason I'm starting one is because only a couple of days ago I was in a shop and I heard a song on the radio....I couldn't believe me ears and tis stuck in me head ever since.The song was:

"Wo ho ho ho camouflage,things are never quite the way they seem,
    Wo ho ho ho camouflage.....We all said a prayer for the big marine in camouflage".

I was skittin away to meself while I was listening,and then other songs like "Star trekking accross the universe....theres clingons on the starboard bough..." and "We can dance if we wanna,we can leave our friends behind....." started entering me head.

So,which songs wer yer funniest,cringeworthy,or even novelty songs from the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

"Dont worry be happy" - ???
    "Fast car" (Tracey Chapman)

Probably two of the stupidier songs of the 80s! (Not surprising as they came out in 1988 i think)

a few that make me want to hurl:

Land of make believe - Bucks Fizz
    Prince charming - Adam Ant
    systematic - five star
    Jump Jump - Kris Kross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I seem to have made a mistake-somehow I have managed to create this thread twice by accident....I don't know how I did this.Can anybody help?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Motopepe

Dude111,
    Don't worry be Happy is by Bobby McFerrin. I recommend that you find it, listen to it again and crank up the volume. It is perhaps a frivolous number but cringe worthy and stupid it is not. The vocal talent of Bobby McFerrin is well worth exploring.
    Of course, no more than yourself, this is just my opinion. Have a listen to Bobby McFerrinn and Robin Williams doing the Beatles Come Together.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,418 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Any of that Rap crap or "Gangsta" stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Not an "awful" song but one that I'd totally forgotten about till I saw it mentioned online just a while ago.Instantly brought back that "Kaboom,Kaboom!" refrain which will be going around in my head for the rest of the day.By the way Afrika Bambaataa is back in the spotlight at the moment for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

Tracy Chapman doesn't belong anywhere near a thread like this.

The default thread ender in this respect is Agadoo by Black Lace.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,100 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Apologies all round if there is already a thread on this,but the reason I'm starting one is because only a couple of days ago I was in a shop and I heard a song on the radio....I couldn't believe me ears and tis stuck in me head ever since.The song was:

Wo ho ho ho camouflage.....We all said a prayer for the big marine in camouflage".

I was skittin away to meself while I was listening,and then other songs like "Star trekking accross the universe....theres clingons on the starboard bough..." and "We can dance if we wanna,we can leave our friends behind....." started entering me head.

So,which songs wer yer funniest,cringeworthy,or even novelty songs from the past?

Camouflage and the Safety Dance are not terrible songs. I'll give you star trekking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Milli Vanilli - Girl you know it's true.

If they were lip syncing, you'd think they would have chose someone with a better voice. That song is so monotone.

And also the dancing in the video is pretty bad and you just know he loves flicking his hair out of his face like a moody teenage girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Reynolds Girls - I'd Rather Jack .........Dear god :(

• Advertisement

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Milli Vanilli - Girl you know it's true.

If they were lip syncing, you'd think they would have chose someone with a better voice. That song is so monotone.

And also the dancing in the video is pretty bad and you just know he loves flicking his hair out of his face like a moody teenage girl.

the guy doing the singing on that is the same guy who did the singing for Boney M. the guy has sold 850M records so dont knock it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

the guy doing the singing on that is the same guy who did the singing for Boney M. the guy has sold 850M records so dont knock it too much.

:) well maybe its just the melody of the song but i think it sounds awful.

Olishi4 wrote: »
    :) well maybe its just the melody of the song but i think it sounds awful.

its not one of his better efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

No Way, No Way (mna mna) by Vanilla is the worst chart song I know of. Agadoo is a Beethoven symphony in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anything by Ritchie Kavanagh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Reynolds Girls - I'd Rather Jack .........Dear god :(

Ireland's best (in so far as we got them out and didn't get blamed for it) export :pac:

"Hey Mona"-Craig Mclaughlin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Safety dance was good

yer one is the editor of Cosmo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

The Belle Stars - Iko Iko
    One of the worst of any decade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In the roll of dishonour I give you Disco Duck.

Awful, awful feedback :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

yeah. Stand Ridgeway was the guy who sang "Camouflage" back in 1986. "Star Trekkin'" is an actual real classic. Wouldn't call that a bad song TBH.Always been a favourite of mine since 1987!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Joe Mac of the Dixies did a parody version of the above, entitled 'Cabbage Head'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Mr Blobby. Terrible tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dude111 wrote: »
    "Dont worry be happy" - ???
    "Fast car" (Tracey Chapman)

Probably two of the stupidier songs of the 80s!
    struggling to think how you could think fast car is "stupid"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Car
    Rolling Stone ranked the song number 167 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Not like its some random sone about driving cars, Madness "I like driving in my car" is a bit stupid, but still great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

'19' by Paul Hardcastle.

Ok, one of the first songs to use sampling, which at the time was the bleeding edge, and making point on the effect of the Vietnam war. Once the novelty wore off though..

any pop video with the teletubbies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

But my god when I was a youngfella I so wanted to be in that pool with her in that flimsy bikini :p

21/25

uch wrote: »
    But my god when I was a youngfella I so wanted to be in that pool with her in that flimsy bikini :p

weirdly i dont find her at all attractive when i look at that video now. Teenage me couldnt get enough of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

weirdly i dont find her at all attractive when i look at that video now. Teenage me couldnt get enough of her.
    Teenage you may never have noticed she had a face ;)

Advertisement